Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2022, 03:53 PM

2,328 posts, read 1,026,428 times

Advertisements

I want to eat pork, chicken, and rice on the same dish with white sauce and hot sauce. What are my options? Back in the day, Greek vendors used to sell this kind of food but have since moved into diners. I also see Mexicans selling similar dishes from food carts but it's not quite the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2022, 05:57 PM

2,077 posts, read 1,122,660 times
Move to Mexico or Greece.

Old 08-28-2022, 09:41 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,593,062 times
It sounds like you want the stuff they sell at every halal cart.

I do see more and more taco trucks opening up though, and at Coney Island I now see Eloteros

Old 08-29-2022, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post

I do see more and more taco trucks opening up though, and at Coney Island I now see Eloteros
Despite what some Muslims may say, the street cart beef/lamb gyro is very bad for your health. It is absolutely soaked in nitrites, salt, and other chemical preservatives. At least the chicken breast is more tender and comes from natural chickens. Pork kebabs - which Greeks and Latinos make - is also comparatively healthy if cooked at the right temperatures to well done.

Old 08-29-2022, 07:32 AM

2,604 posts, read 3,399,038 times
In all honesty nothing in those halal carts are remotely healthy or even sanitary. Where do they wash their hands or go to the bathroom? I only go to the halal guys store on 14 st now as I don't trust the cart guys. It doesn't taste as good but I don't feel like playing Russian roulette with my stomach.

Old 08-29-2022, 08:05 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,835,300 times
Uncle Gussy in Midtown is the best non-halal gyro street cart owned by Greek. Very gooood...!!!

https://unclegussys.com/

Old 08-29-2022, 08:55 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,394,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by someoneinqueens View Post
Uncle Gussy in Midtown is the best non-halal gyro street cart owned by Greek. Very gooood...!!!

https://unclegussys.com/
That looks so good! I'll have to stop by and try it

Old 08-29-2022, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
In all honesty nothing in those halal carts are remotely healthy or even sanitary. Where do they wash their hands or go to the bathroom? I only go to the halal guys store on 14 st now as I don't trust the cart guys. It doesn't taste as good but I don't feel like playing Russian roulette with my stomach.
It's more than that. I've seen these disgusting grease stains spill out from their carts onto the sidewalks to the point they're permanently dyed black with runoff. Sometimes the security guards of buildings will chase them away for messing up their pavement but the street cart vendors always return.

Old 08-29-2022, 08:58 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,745,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post

Sounds like the poster is not a fan of halal food and want to know what other Non-halal carts are available

Old 08-30-2022, 03:20 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,593,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Despite what some Muslims may say, the street cart beef/lamb gyro is very bad for your health. It is absolutely soaked in nitrites, salt, and other chemical preservatives. At least the chicken breast is more tender and comes from natural chickens. Pork kebabs - which Greeks and Latinos make - is also comparatively healthy if cooked at the right temperatures to well done.
Yeah I don't get the lamb anymore, it's super salty. I try to avoid eating this stuff in general, but sometimes there aren't many other options late at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: