Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2022, 03:08 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
If his interest is to be in Manhattan, then Riverdale is not a good option.

Riverdale is nice, and the 1 train does go down to many key Manhattan stops, but it does not feel anything like Manhattan and is a LONG subway ride to the areas of interest in Manhattan (or the areas that have a strong "Manhattan" feel for an outsider. I personally prefer the Heights and Inwood to many areas in mid-and-downtown, but I would wager that that isn't what the OP is looking for. Could be wrong though).

No, the UWS is not 20 minutes away from Riverdale, it is definitely over 30. And that is to get to 96th street. I used to take the 1 from 242nd to 116th every day. It took usually about 30-35 minutes when things ran smoothly. And that isn't quite the UWS.

If he wants to live in Manhattan, he should move to Manhattan. Not Riverdale.
Yeah but he wouldn't be riding from 242nd. Likely from 238th or 231st given the location of where he would reside. It is a max of 30 minutes. Definitely not more than that. The Upper West Side stretches up to 110th St. Clearly geography is not your strong suit.

If the OP earned more (and no his salary is not an issue at all - it's good, but he isn't making 40x the rent, which is the ideal situation) or had cheap housing in Manhattan, I'd say sure, but they don't, so they have cheap housing in an area that is safe and is a reasonable train ride away, or he can keep his car and drive down, which is definitely a short trip. I just think it's a waste to throw away almost a $1000 month ($12000/yr), money he can keep in his pocket for a variety of things. He is willing to pay $2500 on a place in Manhattan. He could get a studio for almost half that with Montefiore! Not so much that I am pushing Riverdale, but rather the money he would save.

He claims that he may want to buy. If he puts that away for two years, that right there could a nice chunk of cash towards a downpayment to buy something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2022, 09:52 AM

2,618 posts, read 1,215,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Yeah but he wouldn't be riding from 242nd. Likely from 238th or 231st given the location of where he would reside. It is a max of 30 minutes. Definitely not more than that. The Upper West Side stretches up to 110th St. Clearly geography is not your strong suit.

If the OP earned more (and no his salary is not an issue at all - it's good, but he isn't making 40x the rent, which is the ideal situation) or had cheap housing in Manhattan, I'd say sure, but they don't, so they have cheap housing in an area that is safe and is a reasonable train ride away, or he can keep his car and drive down, which is definitely a short trip. I just think it's a waste to throw away almost a $1000 month ($12000/yr), money he can keep in his pocket for a variety of things. He is willing to pay $2500 on a place in Manhattan. He could get a studio for almost half that with Montefiore! Not so much that I am pushing Riverdale, but rather the money he would save.

He claims that he may want to buy. If he puts that away for two years, that right there could a nice chunk of cash towards a downpayment to buy something.
I consider the UWS really starts below 103rd.

Between there and 120th is Morningside heights, or has the feel to it. Let's face it, 110th street is pretty quiet and boring. Not so vibrant. Below 96th is where it gets interesting, and that takes around 45 minutes to get to if things run smooth.

No need for the childish pejorative insults. We're trying to help someone make a decision here. Let's focus on that.

Based on what the OP said, Manhattan is what he wants, and he should find a way to live there. Riverdale is okay if he wants to occasionally be in Manhattan, but if he wants to spend most of his time there, it is too much of a trek.

In terms of it being a "max of 30 minutes. Definitely not more than that." I took that ride every day for multiple years. Things rarely run smooth and it often takes 30-35 minutes just to get to the Columbia campus. Going from 238th doesn't save much time from 242nd. From 231st it shaves off some time, but you have to also consider the time it would take coming from Riverdale avenue or West to Broadway. Depending on how that's done (car, bus, walking) that adds another layer of commute time. That's also not considering the weekends when the 1 is shut down for repair and he'd have to take a bus shuttle to the A on 207th. No, it doesn't happen every weekend, but it happens frequently enough where I still have PTSD from it (PTSD is a bit extreme, but I'll never forget those weekends having to deal with that).

For the record, I think Riverdale is great. And I agree that it offers pretty extensive access to Manhattan. But it is also a haul if someone is planning on going to Manhattan more than 2-3x a week. Especially Manhattan south of 96th, which, I imagine, is what the OP is looking for. I've said that I'm more of an uptown guy, but a lot of people from out of town who are drawn to NYC are not looking for that. At least that's the impression that I get.

Old 09-07-2022, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
I consider the UWS really starts below 103rd.

Between there and 120th is Morningside heights, or has the feel to it. Let's face it, 110th street is pretty quiet and boring. Not so vibrant. Below 96th is where it gets interesting, and that takes around 45 minutes to get to if things run smooth.

No need for the childish pejorative insults. We're trying to help someone make a decision here. Let's focus on that.

Based on what the OP said, Manhattan is what he wants, and he should find a way to live there. Riverdale is okay if he wants to occasionally be in Manhattan, but if he wants to spend most of his time there, it is too much of a trek.

In terms of it being a "max of 30 minutes. Definitely not more than that." I took that ride every day for multiple years. Things rarely run smooth and it often takes 30-35 minutes just to get to the Columbia campus. Going from 238th doesn't save much time from 242nd. From 231st it shaves off some time, but you have to also consider the time it would take coming from Riverdale avenue or West to Broadway. Depending on how that's done (car, bus, walking) that adds another layer of commute time. That's also not considering the weekends when the 1 is shut down for repair and he'd have to take a bus shuttle to the A on 207th. No, it doesn't happen every weekend, but it happens frequently enough where I still have PTSD from it (PTSD is a bit extreme, but I'll never forget those weekends having to deal with that).

For the record, I think Riverdale is great. And I agree that it offers pretty extensive access to Manhattan. But it is also a haul if someone is planning on going to Manhattan more than 2-3x a week. Especially Manhattan south of 96th, which, I imagine, is what the OP is looking for. I've said that I'm more of an uptown guy, but a lot of people from out of town who are drawn to NYC are not looking for that. At least that's the impression that I get.
Quite frankly, there isn't anything wrong with Morningside Heights by Columbia University. Cool places to hangout and eat at. Regardless, there is no guarantee that he will find a guarantor, unless he is able to talk a landlord into overlooking the 40x the rent rule, which he doesn't meet. If he met it, then sure Manhattan is totally fine. Let's even go with his Manhattan request. It would be wise of him to find something where he meets the 40x the rent rule. Makes things easier, especially now with how tight the rental market is.

With his salary, the max he can afford under the 40x the rent rule is $1875. If he can find something in Manhattan for that (e.g. studio) then he should take it. The thing is he wants the Upper East Side. Not too long ago there were studios in that price range there. Maybe he should look into Yorkville, which may have some places under the radar.

Old 09-07-2022, 10:19 AM

2,618 posts, read 1,215,399 times
Quote:
Quite frankly, there isn't anything wrong with Morningside Heights by Columbia University. Cool places to hangout and eat at. Regardless, there is no guarantee that he will find a guarantor, unless he is able to talk a landlord into overlooking the 40x the rent rule, which he doesn't meet. If he met it, then sure Manhattan is totally fine. Let's even go with his Manhattan request. It would be wise of him to find something where he meets the 40x the rent rule. Makes things easier, especially now with how tight the rental market is.

With his salary, the max he can afford under the 40x the rent rule is $1875. If he can find something in Manhattan for that (e.g. studio) then he should take it. The thing is he wants the Upper East Side. Not too long ago there were studios in that price range there. Maybe he should look into Yorkville, which may have some places under the radar.
I love Morningside Heights but it is kind of sleepy compared to the general Manhattan vibe. The Hungarian Pastry shop and V & T are classics.

Old 09-07-2022, 12:32 PM

412 posts, read 228,921 times
Very moot conversation. Anyone in high 20's who isn't a couch potato and doesn't have to be @hospital at odd hours or on 10 minutes notice wants to be near stuff at any cost. You move up and move out.

Old 09-07-2022, 03:53 PM

61 posts, read 38,635 times
Quote:

I'm not opposed to going elsewhere in Manhattan. I was just told that the UES was the easiest place to live if one was interested in getting the Manhattan experience while balancing the need to commuting to the Bronx

Old 09-07-2022, 04:27 PM

5,674 posts, read 2,608,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwaway14393730 View Post
I'm not opposed to going elsewhere in Manhattan. I was just told that the UES was the easiest place to live if one was interested in getting the Manhattan experience while balancing the need to commuting to the Bronx
It would be. Make sure to get an apt near 86 street though.

Old 09-07-2022, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Yorkville is basically a section of the Upper East Side... Historically cheaper because it was not as accessible by subway, but that has changed with the Second Avenue Subway. What is good about it is you may be able to snag a deal and still be able to walk to 86th St for the 4 5 6. You want to be near 86th St because it is an express stop on the 4 line and you will be in The Bronx fairly quickly, skipping the local stops in Manhattan.

Old 09-07-2022, 09:01 PM

61 posts, read 38,635 times
Quote:
Yorkville is basically a section of the Upper East Side... Historically cheaper because it was not as accessible by subway, but that has changed with the Second Avenue Subway. What is good about it is you may be able to snag a deal and still be able to walk to 86th St for the 4 5 6. You want to be near 86th St because it is an express stop on the 4 line and you will be in The Bronx fairly quickly, skipping the local stops in Manhattan.
Can you explain a bit more about significance of the 86th street station? Are you saying certain 4 trains operate as express. When I plug in 86 to Moshul park station, it gives me 30 minutes commute. Is it really that much faster than living higher up? Say vs 103rd.

I visited Yorkville and I was really impressed with the area. If I could get an apartment like this in this price range I'd be super happy. Any catches?

C209 EAST 88 STREET, Manhattan, NY

https://streeteasy.com/rental/393991...f7f2c928258469

209 EAST 88 STREET #1A, Manhattan, NY

Old 09-07-2022, 09:11 PM

5,674 posts, read 2,608,456 times
Quote:
Can you explain a bit more about significance of the 86th street station? Are you saying certain 4 trains operate as express. When I plug in 86 to Moshul park station, it gives me 30 minutes commute. Is it really that much faster than living higher up? Say vs 103rd.

I visited Yorkville and I was really impressed with the area. If I could get an apartment like this in this price range I'd be super happy. Any catches?

C209 EAST 88 STREET, Manhattan, NY

https://streeteasy.com/rental/393991...f7f2c928258469

209 EAST 88 STREET #1A, Manhattan, NY
You need the 4 train to get to your job. The 4 ONLY stops at 59 and 86 on the UES. Next is 125.
IF you live on 103 St you need to take the 6 and then transfer to the 4 at 125 street.
The 6 does NOT go to your job.

Also don't be naive, plugging in that address to your job is a 46 minute commute. Based on leaving at 8am and arriving for a 9 am shift. You NEED to budget yourself an hour. The MTA has a lot of congestion issues during rush hour and trains get delayed. You will not make it to work ever door to door in 30 minutes. The train ride itself is 30 minutes plus the walk to and from the train, plus train delays plus waiting for the train, plus you stopping for your morning coffee that you desire to get living on the UES.

And BTW if your gonna live on 103 Street you might as well live in the Bronx.

Last edited by 90sSitcom; 09-07-2022 at 09:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City