Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2022, 03:39 PM

621 posts, read 241,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Let's say NYC isn't #1 COL but is #3. How does that change my argument? There are a number of ways to measure COL and since NYCs main COL driver is housing and taxes (for those that actually work and don't qualify for welfare ), some may measure other cities as a higher COL (although it isn't reality).

Furthermore, you chose to ignore my key distinction that welfare in a d of itself isn't the problem. It's welfare becoming institutionalized a d a part of may people's lives for decades.

NYCHA isn't welfare? Just be auwe it isn't free doesn't mean it's not welfare. Subsidies are also welfare. Another case of NYCs welfare mentality. "If it's not completely free, then it ain't welfare".

You still didn't present an argument for why people who aren't disabled or elderly are entitled to various kinds of welfare programs for decades on end?

As for my family and I, we didn't come to NYC to live on welfare. My father got a job at minimum wage ($4/hour) a week after we arrived (roofing). My parents have a paid off house in BK and put 2 kids through college (without loans). My brother and I now have decent jobs and pay far more into the system than we take out. That's how it's supposed to work.

What's the excuse for people who were born here and only bleed the system dry?

There is no let's say NYC isn't #1. It isn't. COL is the average price you pay relative to the average wage you earn. There aren't alternatives to measuring COL. But let's move forward.

Before we continue, I'd like to read YOUR definition of welfare. From what I gather, your definition and the ACTUAL definition greatly differs. How do I know? You mention NYCHA which is not welfare. If someone chooses to live in low-income housing, that is either their based on their ability to pay or it's their choice. You live in a supposed tony area and yet your concern is not for your own neighborhood but for a neighborhood you have no ties to. Why?

So why aren't disabled or elderly are entitled to various kinds of welfare programs for decades on end? Because they have jobs that don't pay them enough to move past the programs. How does someone move from subsidized rent of $400/month to market rent of $2400/month? The larger question is why would someone make such a move.

Regarding your American "arrival", I'm trying to picture how a $4/hr salary can grow into an eventual home purchase plus college for two kids without loans can happen without government assistance at any time over the past 50 years. Yes, I agree that your experience is ideally how things ought to go. But because you were neither born here nor never had to deal with a legacy of systemic racism, your pathway to upward mobility was easier to accomplish.

When your family came here, did you ever have to deal with issues like arsenic water, asbestos, inferior public education, dumping of drugs and booze in your neighborhood, etc.? What I'm saying is that no rational person chooses poverty. The recent migrant crisis is proof of that - people want more from their lives. Any perception of a welfare mentality is confused with people who are frustrated at best and morally defeated at worse.

When a system impedes a person's desire to progress, how does that person survive...and then thrive? Your family dealt with a similar lack in your own country, right? That's why YOU left.

I'll end with a story that may be familiar to you: I have a buddy who is Lebanese. Super smart guy. Successful. Lives in a tony BK neighborhood. Goes on and on about how smart his people are. But while he enjoys the fruits of America (fruits that he has earned no doubt), his country continues to spiral into total socio-economic collapse. Where are all of the smart Lebanese people like my buddy to rectify this situation and Make Lebanon Great Again? Right here...in America!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2022, 02:23 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,713,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
Before we continue, I'd like to read YOUR definition of welfare. From what I gather, your definition and the ACTUAL definition greatly differs. How do I know? You mention NYCHA which is not welfare. If someone chooses to live in low-income housing, that is either their based on their ability to pay or it's their choice. You live in a supposed tony area and yet your concern is not for your own neighborhood but for a neighborhood you have no ties to. Why?
How is NYCHA not welfare? I would like to know YOUR definition of welfare.

Here is the definition of welfare when you google it:
"Welfare refers to a range of government programs that provide financial or other aid to individuals or groups who cannot support themselves. Welfare programs are typically funded by taxpayers and allow people to cope with financial stress during rough periods of their lives."

NYCHA absolutely falls under that definition.

Old 09-20-2022, 09:16 PM

621 posts, read 241,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
How is NYCHA not welfare? I would like to know YOUR definition of welfare.

Here is the definition of welfare when you google it:
"Welfare refers to a range of government programs that provide financial or other aid to individuals or groups who cannot support themselves. Welfare programs are typically funded by taxpayers and allow people to cope with financial stress during rough periods of their lives."

NYCHA absolutely falls under that definition.

By your google definition, Unemployment Insurance is welfare as is SSA disability. Would you consider either of these populations welfare recipients? I define welfare as direct permanent government assistance for people living at or below the federal poverty line. TANF is the formal program for welfare in the country resulting from Clinton's welfare reform. Not all of NYCHA residents receive direct permanent government assistance (13.1%). Therefore, NYCHA cannot be classified as a welfare institution.

You want to know about an entity, you have to go to the source:

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/nycha/about/about-nycha.page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City