Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2022, 03:32 PM

5,877 posts, read 2,989,444 times

Advertisements

Florida is a swamp. No matter how you look at it.
No amount of palm trees flowers and planned housing is gonna change that.

High heat, humidity, alligators, mosquitoes and AC all the time. Flat lands all around.

Sounds like hell to me.

You want to retire in the woods, pine trees, lakes, trails, tranquility.

Sun, beach and Martinis are for the feeble minded retirees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2022, 06:17 AM

621 posts, read 242,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
This has not been the case for like... ever. Majority of the people who leave NY never come back. That is why NY has a net demographic domestic migration loss literally every year, and especially with the states like FL. In fact, in most years NY is a loss leader in the whole country when it comes to domestic migration, even worse than IL.

The only reason why our population is still barely growing is babies and international immigration.
If you’re referring to upstate north of Westchester and Rockland, I would agree with you. I don’t believe that rule apples to NYC and the surrounding burbs. Upstate NY has been neglected for so long. I don’t live upstate yet, but perhaps someone can speak to the investments that Cuomo made to attract businesses there. I believe the capital region in particular has benefited from greater investment.

Also, the US pop is aging. So it makes more sense that more people are heading down to FL to retire. That’s why the 65+ aren’t leaving because FL is the final destination for them. But for younger, working folks who jetted down to FL to escape NY, I do believe they will return as global warming, in particular, takes its toll on the state. Think about it: a glacier the size of Florida is about to raise sea levels by over 10 feet in a few years.

Old 09-10-2022, 06:34 AM

14,077 posts, read 13,995,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
If you’re referring to upstate north of Westchester and Rockland, I would agree with you. I don’t believe that rule apples to NYC and the surrounding burbs. Upstate NY has been neglected for so long. I don’t live upstate yet, but perhaps someone can speak to the investments that Cuomo made to attract businesses there. I believe the capital region in particular has benefited from greater investment.

Also, the US pop is aging. So it makes more sense that more people are heading down to FL to retire. That’s why the 65+ aren’t leaving because FL is the final destination for them. But for younger, working folks who jetted down to FL to escape NY, I do believe they will return as global warming, in particular, takes its toll on the state. Think about it: a glacier the size of Florida is about to raise sea levels by over 10 feet in a few years.
NYC, Long Island, Westchester is 60-70% of state GDP

Old 09-10-2022, 07:30 AM

3,312 posts, read 1,724,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post

High heat, humidity, alligators, mosquitoes and AC all the time. Flat lands all around.

Sounds like hell to me.

That's just the Everglades. The problem with Miami is that the cost of living there is also rising faster than NYC.

Old 09-10-2022, 07:58 AM

870 posts, read 418,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
You forgot to mention a big portion of those people are retired seniors hence Florida being the oldest state age wise lol.

And I believe the real deal is focusing on white collared professionals. Not sure the real deal cares about a family who main source of income is from Target. As far as white collared professionals I don’t know much in NYC who have Florida on their mind unless they are getting a second home. Actually all my rich friends have a second home in Florida but still live in nyc/hamptons
Well then the study is rigged.

Old 09-10-2022, 11:19 AM

93 posts, read 42,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
You forgot to mention a big portion of those people are retired seniors hence Florida being the oldest state age wise lol.

And I believe the real deal is focusing on white collared professionals. Not sure the real deal cares about a family who main source of income is from Target. As far as white collared professionals I don’t know much in NYC who have Florida on their mind unless they are getting a second home. Actually all my rich friends have a second home in Florida but still live in nyc/hamptons
I'd bet dollars to donuts that you don't know many "white collared professionals" and know even fewer people with homes out in the Hamptons lol.

Old 09-10-2022, 12:03 PM

15,880 posts, read 14,526,814 times
Nowadays that's not so relevant. People can get remote jobs from anywhere and do them anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
But are wages in South Florida competitive with NYC? Especially in sectors like finance, publishing, tech, etc?

Old 09-10-2022, 03:23 PM

15,880 posts, read 14,526,814 times
Based on what, because you don't like it? Get real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post

Sounds like hell to me.

Old 09-10-2022, 07:01 PM

19,078 posts, read 14,024,985 times
Sun, beach and (my jetski) are for me NOW!

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-11-2022, 07:25 AM

5,072 posts, read 2,191,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Sun, beach and (my jetski) are for me NOW!
Hell yeah who would be against that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City