Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 07:28 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,835,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Florida is a swamp. No matter how you look at it.
No amount of palm trees flowers and planned housing is gonna change that.

High heat, humidity, alligators, mosquitoes and AC all the time. Flat lands all around.

Sounds like hell to me.

You want to retire in the woods, pine trees, lakes, trails, tranquility.

Sun, beach and Martinis are for the feeble minded retirees.
Don't forget,roaches the size of cats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2022, 07:54 AM

621 posts, read 240,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
NYC, Long Island, Westchester is 60-70% of state GDP

what does this have to do with the population count and NYers moving to FL?

Old 09-11-2022, 07:54 AM

5,808 posts, read 2,938,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Don't forget,roaches the size of cats!
Jesus. Forgot about that.

Florida is for simple folk who are amused by sun and palm trees easily.

Old 09-11-2022, 08:45 AM

10,060 posts, read 14,430,706 times
I was down in Miami Beach for a week in early August this year.

I absolutely LOVE Miami and Miami Beach. I get why people buy down there and split time between there and here in New York.

But I could never live full-time down there at all. I can personally only visit the beach so many times, and lounging around is amazing, but it's too slow of a lifestyle overall.

The area in Florida outside of Miami's metro is not desirable to me at all. The Keys are gorgeous, and Siesta Key Beach and a few others are beautiful too. But with Florida, you get the wealthy and you get all the crazies too.

The state is politically a mess right now too. The "Don't Say Gay" bill is offensive and right-wing nutty.

So personally, I get why folks from NYC who moved down full-time, want to move back up.

Miami is a place to go for a month or two, and get a break from the hustle and bustle of NY, and then come back up.

Old 09-11-2022, 08:55 AM

14,052 posts, read 13,926,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post

I absolutely LOVE Miami and Miami Beach. I get why people buy down there and split time between there and here in New York.

But I could never live full-time down there at all. I can personally only visit the beach so many times, and lounging around is amazing, but it's too slow of a lifestyle overall.

The area in Florida outside of Miami's metro is not desirable to me at all. The Keys are gorgeous, and Siesta Key Beach and a few others are beautiful too. But with Florida, you get the wealthy and you get all the crazies too.

The state is politically a mess right now too. The "Don't Say Gay" bill is offensive and right-wing nutty.

So personally, I get why folks from NYC who moved down full-time, want to move back up.

Miami is a place to go for a month or two, and get a break from the hustle and bustle of NY, and then come back up.
Brickell/Downtown is like tropical Manhattan
Wynwood is Williamsburg
South Beach is like Times Square on the water

Outside of Miami that are desirable

Tampa Bay Area
West Palm Beach
Fort Lauderdale

Old 09-11-2022, 01:20 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,518,716 times
Quote:
Yeah, totally nutty to not want your 2nd grader told about gay sex by their teacher. Stay in NY, groomer.

Florida is a big state. It has its problems like anywhere else, but overall it's run far more competently than this dump.

Old 09-11-2022, 03:33 PM

15,829 posts, read 14,469,933 times
I agree with some of this. Once off the beach, from a landscape standpoint FL does not have much to recommend it. Flat and boring. If you like it hot and humid it can be okay.

Out of downtown Miami and Miami Beach, it's mostly sprawling suburb. But, again, that works for some people. The concept of trading my 725 sqft 1/1 Manhattan coop for a 2000 sqft 3/2.5 2 car garage SFR has a lot of appeal, especially since I'd probably get significant cash out of the trade.

As far as the politics, calling FL politics a mess is only true if you subscribe to NYC's looney left wing political ideology. A lot of people are fleeing NY, and the other left wind states specifically to get away from that. To them FL's politics make perfect sense. I personally hope DeSantis replaces Biden in 2024.

Quote:

Last edited by BBMW; 09-11-2022 at 04:49 PM..

Old 09-11-2022, 04:19 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,080,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
These types of threads are weird and reek of insecurity.
LOL. I agree.

"See guys, NYC is alive!"

People come and go. That is the way it has always been.

Old 09-11-2022, 04:22 PM

14,052 posts, read 13,926,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I agree with some of this. Once off the beach, from a landscape standpoint FL does not have much to recommend it. Flat and boring. If you like it hot and humid it can be okay.

Out of downtown Miami and Miami Beach, it's mostly sprawling suburb. But, again, that works for some people. The concept of trading my 725 sqft 1/1 Manhattan coop for a 2000 sqft 3/2.5 2 car garage SFR has a lot of appeal, especially since I'd probably get significant cash out of the trade.

As far as the politics, calling FL politics a mess is only true if you subscribe to NYC's looney left wing political, ideology. A lot of people are fleeing NY, and the other left wind states specifically to get away from that. To them FL's politics make perfect sense. I personally hope DeSantis replaces Biden in 2024.

Outside of Downtown Miami Wynwood, Edgewater, Design District are trending areas It like Williamsburg, Brooklyn and Astoria Queens

https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7997...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@25.8085...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@25.8134...7i16384!8i8192

Old 09-11-2022, 04:53 PM

15,829 posts, read 14,469,933 times
I've spent some time in Tampa and liked it. It has the feel of a real city. It's not the tourist / retirement community vibe that a lot of FL has. I like their SoHo area, and along Bayshore Blvd. But a lot of it can also be flat and ugly (but useful), like along Dale Maybry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Brickell/Downtown is like tropical Manhattan
Wynwood is Williamsburg
South Beach is like Times Square on the water

Outside of Miami that are desirable

Tampa Bay Area
West Palm Beach
Fort Lauderdale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City