Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2022, 04:29 PM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
They used to process MetroCard/token transactions and give directions. Now they just direct everyone to use the vending machine and "Google it" on their smart phones. Their surly attitude and inaudible speaker quality isn't helping anyone. Nor do they lift a finger when a crime is committed like a robbery or rape of a passenger.

So, besides sleeping and reading novels inside the booth what exactly do they do?
not a f*** thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2022, 04:32 PM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead123 View Post
They watch you get mugged, and annoyed that you are screaming so loud. It disturbs their reading.
they're on their cellphones and bluetooth radios too. believe me. all they gotta do is send pizza down to the booth and it's a party

Old 09-18-2022, 06:37 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
They've always been good for directions for me.

Old 09-19-2022, 03:51 PM

621 posts, read 240,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
They used to process MetroCard/token transactions and give directions. Now they just direct everyone to use the vending machine and "Google it" on their smart phones. Their surly attitude and inaudible speaker quality isn't helping anyone. Nor do they lift a finger when a crime is committed like a robbery or rape of a passenger.

So, besides sleeping and reading novels inside the booth what exactly do they do?

If you're on the unfortunate side of a rape or robbery, you better hope that they're more than just "sleeping, reading, and not lifting a finger."

Old 09-19-2022, 04:34 PM

2,328 posts, read 1,026,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
If you're on the unfortunate side of a rape or robbery, you better hope that they're more than just "sleeping, reading, and not lifting a finger."
Yes. You're right. I forgot to say sometimes they are watching movies or playing video games on their phone.

Old 09-19-2022, 04:47 PM

6,680 posts, read 6,022,713 times
They sleep. I’ve been seeing booth workers sleep since I was a child. In fact, some of my earliest memories of riding the subway as a toddler entail seeing booth workers sleeping.

Old 09-19-2022, 05:34 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
That's the truth. I got my wallet snatched and had nothing on me. They wouldn't even let me through the turn style when I asked if I could get buzzed through due to having my wallet taken. Dude looked me dead in the eyes several times and said NO. So I waited until someone opened the gate and walked through. Decided I had nothing to lose because since I had no ID, they couldn't give me a ticket if I was caught.

Old 09-20-2022, 02:00 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Earn a paycheck in exchange for 8 hours away from home.

Something quite unfamiliar with many on government assistance............5 million available jobs across the country and no takers....hmmmmm?

Old 09-20-2022, 07:46 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,235,519 times
nothing these days.
it's really joke they can't even process transactions or replace a card that can't be read at the turnstile. somehow that change due to covid was never changed back even though it's been well over 2 years since we knew covid wasn't spreading this way.

Old 09-20-2022, 08:43 PM

621 posts, read 240,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
nothing these days.
it's really joke they can't even process transactions or replace a card that can't be read at the turnstile. somehow that change due to covid was never changed back even though it's been well over 2 years since we knew covid wasn't spreading this way.

I've had that same experience. I had to go to 7-11 to buy an Omni card b/c only a few select stations in Manhattan sell the card. Now I have to go back to the 7-11, or a CVS, to add more money on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: