Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you try restaurants aimed solely at a hyper-local immigrant audience?
Done it and loved it 21 70.00%
Done it with mixed results 4 13.33%
Not really interested in doing it 3 10.00%
Which ethnic options have you tried? - Hispanic 11 36.67%
Which ethnic options have you tried? - Korean 11 36.67%
Which ethnic options have you tried? - Egyptian - Middle Eastern 9 30.00%
Which ethnic options have you tried? - Greek 11 36.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2022, 12:09 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,836,542 times

Advertisements

Queens is the heaven of 'deeply ethnic' culinary & most of them are authentic because either the chef or the owner or both were immigrants from the cuisine comes from. Whenever I traveled abroad, I liked to go for some local dishes, so when I lived in Queens, it was like pampering myself with whatever kind of cuisine that I wanted to have that day & could easily get them from the authentic restaurant without having to be on a jetplane!

If you like Southeast Asian food & would like to try some Indonesian food, go to Elmhurst. All of those Indonesian restaurants in the neighborhood are authentic! The popular one is Awang Kitchen on 8405 Queens Blvd Ste 1C, Queens, NY 11373 & it serves the best Indonesian cuisine in NYC so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2022, 09:20 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,700,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
I literally started laughing. Bravo.

Reminded me of the time I went to an Indian restaurant and ordered chicken vindaloo. I love spicy food and have hot sauce with almost everything but this thing nearly ripped my face off.
I ate this before.

It was light work to me. Then I think I have a high tolerance for spice.

Old 10-02-2022, 09:30 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Do this very often, and was one of the main reasons why I stayed in the city rather than go with the original plan of passing through. I usually also visit grocery stores in order to try to make stuff afterwards. If there's some indication imagined or otherwise that maybe they'll change it based on my not being from the culture because it's too funky or too spicy and it's just myself or myself and my wife, I'll tell them to make it as they normally would if I can speak the language well enough to be intelligible which I think helps a lot. I've heard conflicting things about how people react to saying things that emphasize spice levels in a specific way, for example, saying things like "make it Thai spicy" in a Thai restaurant. I also tend to do this with a friend or a group of friends where someone's missing home and speaks the language / is from that culture.

Old 10-02-2022, 09:31 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
This is completely B.S. Jbgusa is no transient. I'm a Queens native and have never experienced this at all. One look at me and everyone knows whether I am an insider or an outsider. Did you read the part where Jbqusa understood the coworkers speaking Spanish.
clearly the poster you're responding to lives underneath a bridge and has very limited social interactions with humans, so I'm not sure why you bother responding to him. You can save yourself from looking at garbage if you just put the thing on an ignore list.

Old 10-02-2022, 09:46 PM

61,668 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
That might work some of the time. In the case of this food it's better cooked into the food.
The thing is, if the food is prepared in advance - and most are (it cuts on waiting time) and they ask you how spicy you would like to have it - it means that the food has basic, mild spices cooked into and the rest is added according to customers request ( cooked into very briefly).

There are restaurants (some Spanish, mostly Asian) that already cook some dishes spicy and that is indicated on the menu (often by placing numbers of red peppers next to the dish name).

Old 10-03-2022, 08:25 PM

35,034 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The thing is, if the food is prepared in advance - and most are (it cuts on waiting time) and they ask you how spicy you would like to have it - it means that the food has basic, mild spices cooked into and the rest is added according to customers request ( cooked into very briefly).

There are restaurants (some Spanish, mostly Asian) that already cook some dishes spicy and that is indicated on the menu (often by placing numbers of red peppers next to the dish name).
Thanks.

Old 03-29-2024, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I'm not sure what constitutes hyper-local, but I poke into hole-in-the-wall Chinese places all the time.
One of those is Hop Kee restaurant in Chinatown,NYC. I have taken a few girlfriends there. My wife is not particularly a fan of Chinese food. Weeks ago I mentioned it to someone in my (suburban) synagogue and to my surprise they also frequent it. Last time I was there was Christmas 2015, at the conclusion of a nearby walking tour. I brought takeout orders from the family home, since, eating Chinese food on Christmas is traditional in my ethnic group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
This is completely B.S. Jbgusa is no transient. I'm a Queens native and have never experienced this at all. One look at me and everyone knows whether I am an insider or an outsider. Did you read the part where Jbqusa understood the coworkers speaking Spanish.
I live in the New York area, and am no transient to the area. I liberally visit out of the way,exotic places.

Old 03-30-2024, 01:53 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
One of those is Hop Kee restaurant in Chinatown,NYC. I have taken a few girlfriends there. My wife is not particularly a fan of Chinese food. Weeks ago I mentioned it to someone in my (suburban) synagogue and to my surprise they also frequent it. Last time I was there was Christmas 2015, at the conclusion of a nearby walking tour. I brought takeout orders from the family home, since, eating Chinese food on Christmas is traditional in my ethnic group.

I live in the New York area, and am no transient to the area. I liberally visit out of the way,exotic places.
A friend of mine, member of your tribe, took me to a Chinese place he knew in Flushing. There was one other non-Asian in the restaurant. I had veg and shrimp dim sum and he had fried chicken feet, dripping with oil.

Old 03-30-2024, 02:25 PM

9,119 posts, read 6,165,173 times
Quote:

One of the major losses to me since moving to FL is the lack of good Chinese restaurants, especially on the Gulf coast.

I remember the glory days of midnight meals in Manhattan's Chinatown, with dessert and coffee in nearby Little Italy.

The bagels are getting better here, but the Chinese food (and most other Asian cuisines) still totally miss the mark.

And don't get me started on pastrami!

Old 03-30-2024, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
A friend of mine, member of your tribe, took me to a Chinese place he knew in Flushing. There was one other non-Asian in the restaurant. I had veg and shrimp dim sum and he had fried chicken feet, dripping with oil.
I am curious if you tried the chicken feet and, if so, liked them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City