Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2022, 09:31 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,417,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
Are you referring to the lawsuit for a dresser falling and unfortunately causing a child to pass away?

I had my dressers tied directly into the studs with metal anchor kits with multiple precautions on top of if it was to fall if lands on a night stand or a chair. Kids climb. Kids can climb on the dresser and climb out a window.

A 5 foot dresser with 5 drawers shouldn’t be left un anchored.
Yes and then I believe they started a thing where you could return used furniture for some kind of refund after the sustainability of their furniture was brought to question.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...ent/index.html

They haven’t been looking good in the press could be a factor, could not be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2022, 10:51 PM

2,645 posts, read 1,245,508 times
I didn't know about the recall issue, but it doesn't surprise me.

The only thing I like about Ikea is, when driving on I-95 through New Haven, the Ikea is a good landmark for the Marcel Hotel (or Hotel Marcel, it's a hotel named "Marcel" for certain). That hotel has really cool architecture (a "brutalist" structure, and I'm generally not a huge fan of the Brutalist style, but this one is pretty cool) and when I see the Ikea I know to look out for the Hotel which is right next to it.

Old 11-02-2022, 05:10 AM

43,761 posts, read 44,538,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Issue was it was a mini and not full service. Brooklyn location is booming.
I think IKEA is still looking to open another location in Manhattan. I am not sure whether this would be a mini or full sized one.

I have only been once (not long after it opened) to the one in Red Hook. It wasn't easy to get to by public transportation (as it isn't close to a subway station).

Old 11-02-2022, 07:42 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,138,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
I didn't know about the recall issue, but it doesn't surprise me.

The only thing I like about Ikea is, when driving on I-95 through New Haven, the Ikea is a good landmark for the Marcel Hotel (or Hotel Marcel, it's a hotel named "Marcel" for certain). That hotel has really cool architecture (a "brutalist" structure, and I'm generally not a huge fan of the Brutalist style, but this one is pretty cool) and when I see the Ikea I know to look out for the Hotel which is right next to it.
Yeah. Pretty interesting building. I wonder how the architect sold the empty floor concept to the original client.

Old 11-02-2022, 07:47 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,138,520 times
Re; Hotel Marcel/

Just found an article about the rehab of this designated place. It was designed by Marcel Breuer, a Bauhaus designer and refitted with a self sustaining Solar power system.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/h...ntl/index.html

Old 11-02-2022, 09:33 AM

2,645 posts, read 1,245,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
Yeah. Pretty interesting building. I wonder how the architect sold the empty floor concept to the original client.
Good question.

I don't know for certain, but the architect (as posted above) was well-regarded (he designed The Met Museum's extension building "The Met Breuer").

I guess he may have been en vogue at the time and people would've just been excited to have a building designed by him.

Old 11-02-2022, 09:45 AM

3,307 posts, read 1,716,622 times
I haven't shop at IKEA much because their stuff is not very good quality and still cost alot while I can get the similar stuff from Amazon delivered and often less.

The only thing IKEA has cheaper are the Billy Bookcases, I don't think you can find anywhere for the same prices.

Old 11-02-2022, 10:57 AM

520 posts, read 602,429 times
I wanted to like the Queens IKEA as it's surrounded by other stores and is easy for me to get to, but they never had anything I wanted/needed and the restaurant always seemed to be out of food. I like to get the Swedish meatball meal and then walk around, but the store always looked like it was on its last legs from the beginning. The Brooklyn IKEA is much better (and larger), but as someone mentioned it's not that easy to access. Anytime I go to the Brooklyn location I have to make a day trip out of it. The Queens location allowed me to stop in for a bit to look around. Having the other stores around was an added plus.

I think their furniture looks great in the catalogue but can look cheap and shabby in person. That said there are always a few items each season that do stand the test of time and there are some vintage items that are coveted by collectors. The Billy bookcases are fantastic as are some of their other shelving units. I always hear rave reviews about their kitchen cabinets. I do like their kitchen and décor items. I buy their bedding items, which I love.

I wonder what will go into that spot?

Old 11-02-2022, 11:05 AM

520 posts, read 602,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
Re; Hotel Marcel/

Just found an article about the rehab of this designated place. It was designed by Marcel Breuer, a Bauhaus designer and refitted with a self sustaining Solar power system.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/h...ntl/index.html
Oh wow, thanks for this link. I didn't know they turned this into a hotel, a Passivhaus one at that. I was always fascinated by the empty floor concept of this building. Not a fan of Brutalist architecture, but this one was an exception.

Old 11-02-2022, 11:18 AM

5,734 posts, read 2,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post

I have only been once (not long after it opened) to the one in Red Hook. It wasn't easy to get to by public transportation (as it isn't close to a subway station).
I go to the red hook location every few months. I take the train to downtown Brooklyn and hope the bus or just walk if it's a nice day. On the way back it isn't bad because the bus stops right in front of the store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City