Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2022, 11:22 AM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
I still use their bed room dressers and 2 night stands and 8 person dining room table with chairs. 7 Years going strong. I really can’t complain everything held up for maybe 600 dollars back then? I was looking for a reason to replace it and all of its still going shockingly ! It’s not even showing wear and tear. I replaced one screw that wore out in a dresser draw track. If it’s not broke don’t fix it. Perfect IKEA slogan

I remember 20 years ago building my parents furniture from there with the cheap little nails and the random locking screws. They came a long way from what I remember.
I have shelves from there from 12 years ago, went through 6 moves and still standing strong. Which is surprising since I always put things together myself and I don't tend to follow instructions or may not put them together well.
People like to call their products cheap. I think it depends how well you put them together. Make sure things are fully tightened and lined up correctly.
They also are great if you ever loose a screen you can stop in there with the make a model number and they will give you one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2022, 11:28 AM

3,408 posts, read 1,901,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
Meh

Cheap, poorly made furniture
What kind of "quality" do you expect from Chinese products!!

Old 11-02-2022, 12:18 PM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
I go to the red hook location every few months. I take the train to downtown Brooklyn and hope the bus or just walk if it's a nice day. On the way back it isn't bad because the bus stops right in front of the store.
It really depends where one is coming from. The Queens IKEA is right next to a subway station which has made it highly accessible and easy to get to by public transportation.

Old 11-02-2022, 01:33 PM

1,056 posts, read 541,921 times
IKEA didn't seem to care much about the Queens location, this was evident from the time they opened when they didn't even bother to repair the floor or put in decent lighting.

Then it was damaged by the flood in Sept 2021 and closed down for real renovation. When it opened it was better but still lacking and somewhat depressing.

Also you could hardly buy anything there except some housewares.

I like IKEA in general but not surprised it failed.

Old 11-02-2022, 02:31 PM

2,602 posts, read 1,205,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
What kind of "quality" do you expect from Chinese products!!
I didn't say that I expected quality!

Just stating that their products are not high quality.

Old 11-02-2022, 03:42 PM

10,053 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
I didn't even know there was one in Queens.
Wow, me either! I saw this headline and was like wait, what?

I only know of the one in Elizabeth, NJ, Long Island, Brooklyn and New Haven stores.

I've read that IKEA was hurt by the pandemic, and moved more towards smaller, urban-focused stores, like this one I suppose.

But if it won't work in Queens, a super populated, high trafficked location, not sure it will work in other locations. BUT, there could've been too much competition in this area with 4 other regional IKEAs, and of course online IKEA purchases.

Old 11-02-2022, 03:44 PM

8,475 posts, read 4,724,709 times
Quote:
Meh

Cheap, poorly made furniture
Negative. But you do have to be fairly choosy, some of their stuff does kinda suck.

Old 11-02-2022, 05:45 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
It really depends where one is coming from. The Queens IKEA is right next to a subway station which has made it highly accessible and easy to get to by public transportation.
I come from the Bronx so If I can manage the trip there most can.

Old 11-02-2022, 07:15 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
That IKEA location was terrible:

(1) The layout is nonsensical.

(2) They hardly have anything in the store. Only certain things could be ordered to the location, whereas other things could not. It seemed random.

(3) The last time I was in there it smelled. BAD.

Old 11-03-2022, 06:28 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
when I see the Ikea I know to look out for the Hotel which is right next to it.
which is bizarre because Ikea has been there forever and that ugly building was abandoned forever until they put a hotel in it and took away driving lanes to get to Ikea

And that OP article is super misleading because the picture shows a giant ikea store. The Queens store is not giant, it's a shoe box
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City