Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2022, 02:42 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,260,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Before my son bought his auto business , he was a welfare investigator….the stories he had were just insane
It's 10x worse now than even 10 years ago. The city wants more people on the rolls since it means more federal dollars. They encourage both legitimate welfare applicants and fraudsters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2022, 03:49 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Not only is welfare fraud a problem but social security disability is abused greatly too .

It actually ran out of money around 2016 …since 1970 claims went from 2 million to about 12 million by 2017 .

The bipartisan act of 2015 took money from social security retirement and moved it to ssdi ….

If they policed the fraud better social security would have been in much better shape .

The numbers show they are coming down but it is bogus …many are just coming off ssdi and going to social security retirement , the numbers should have plunged from boomers coming off but it hasn’t.

Just one man , Eric conn , defrauded ssdi for a billion dollars ,as him a crooked judge and crooked doctor got ssdi for people who were denied

Old 11-27-2022, 08:53 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,031,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Actually this is correct. A relative works in a welfare office and I hear all the stories how generations are on welfare.

Kill welfare, let garbage wash away and things will get a lot better for the middle class.
But wait, no one cares about the middle class.
You also have cultural influences like rap and reggaeton that promotes over sexualization among the predominantly black and Hispanic population of these areas. 10 year olds are exposed to obscene lyrics and consume media which promotes how it's important to be a man by acquiring as many baby mommas as possible.

Old 11-30-2022, 06:59 AM

414 posts, read 229,572 times
I talk to the handymen in my very large mixed income building. It's easy to tell which apartments have rent restricted residents because the building put in lower end finishes. Overwhelmingly, these are the ones that are dirty, abused and are on floors where management had to put in extra cameras and no smoking signs. You rarely see this in immigrant housing. They respect each other and those around them.
If I could come up with some magical way to steer people to some form of self-sufficiency while also respecting and cohabitating with others, I'd dedicate all my spare time to it.

Old 11-30-2022, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7continents View Post
I talk to the handymen in my very large mixed income building. It's easy to tell which apartments have rent restricted residents because the building put in lower end finishes. Overwhelmingly, these are the ones that are dirty, abused and are on floors where management had to put in extra cameras and no smoking signs. You rarely see this in immigrant housing. They respect each other and those around them.
If I could come up with some magical way to steer people to some form of self-sufficiency while also respecting and cohabitating with others, I'd dedicate all my spare time to it.
When you don’t work for something, there’s little perceived value. It’s why there are plenty of examples of rich kids crashing expensive cars, lottery winners going bust, or athletes going broke.

Old 11-30-2022, 04:44 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,031,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
When you don’t work for something, there’s little perceived value. It’s why there are plenty of examples of rich kids crashing expensive cars, lottery winners going bust, or athletes going broke.
Sorry I agree with most of what you said but saying athletes don't work hard isn't true. They work very hard. Just that many come from poverty and feel obligated to give freeloaders their money like family and fake friends. Then they live a lifestyle beyond their means.

Old 11-30-2022, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Sorry I agree with most of what you said but saying athletes don't work hard isn't true. They work very hard. Just that many come from poverty and feel obligated to give freeloaders their money like family and fake friends. Then they live a lifestyle beyond their means.
If you ever played organized or even pick-up sports, you always came across kids for whom athletics came easy. I was one of them. I didn't practice much and didn't work harder than others (I would actually say I never cared that much and was lazy during practice). Yet I was always better than 90% of the people around me in 4 sports. There were kids who practiced 10X more but had nothing to show for it. The same holds true for pro athletes. They're just the top .0001% of those kids /teens.

Of course some work extremely hard but most don't. That doesn't mean most are lazy. That just means most put in average work at best. If one isn't athletically inclined, there's no amount of work that one can do to compete with even the laziest athletically inclined individual.

Old 11-30-2022, 08:59 PM

93 posts, read 41,782 times
Quote:
If you ever played organized or even pick-up sports, you always came across kids for whom athletics came easy. I was one of them. I didn't practice much and didn't work harder than others (I would actually say I never cared that much and was lazy during practice). Yet I was always better than 90% of the people around me in 4 sports. There were kids who practiced 10X more but had nothing to show for it. The same holds true for pro athletes. They're just the top .0001% of those kids /teens.

Of course some work extremely hard but most don't. That doesn't mean most are lazy. That just means most put in average work at best. If one isn't athletically inclined, there's no amount of work that one can do to compete with even the laziest athletically inclined individual.
You claiming that pro athletes don't work very hard because, get this, you were reasonably athletic as a child (LOL) is probably the silliest comment I've ever read on here.

Old 12-01-2022, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracksuit View Post
You claiming that pro athletes don't work very hard because, get this, you were reasonably athletic as a child (LOL) is probably the silliest comment I've ever read on here.
You don’t have to be a pro athlete to realize this. Just someone who played organized sports extensively.

I played travel leagues in bball and baseball. In college I played with D1 athletes fairly regularly. I also competed at a high amateur level in strongman (actually got
My pro card but never competed) and Olympic weightlifting (trained for years with those that made it into the national team) until my mid 20s.

I’m not claiming that pro athletes don’t put in any work. It’s their job. Just by virtue of it being their job, they’re at work they’re “working”. If you think the majority of pro athletes are in there giving even 50%, you’re clueless. They’re collecting paychecks just like most people.

You can’t take a slow person and make them fast. You can take a fast person and make them faster. You can’t take a weak person (without PEDs) and make them strong. You can take a strong person and make them stronger. You can’t take a clumsy person and teach them hand eye coordination. You can take a coordinated person and make their coordination even more exceptional.

That’s just the way it is. Athleticism is natural. It can be sharpened but not taught. I’m not even beginning to discuss things like height in bball or durability (size) in football.

Sports consists of 2 things. Athleticism and skill. Skill is more “teachable” but still attached to athleticism. Every sport is a different ratio of athleticism and skill. For example, golf may be a 20% athleticism and 80% skill, bball 80% athleticism and 20% skill, and Olympic weightlifting 95% athleticism and 5% skill. These are just rough numbers but they’re just there to convey a point. Athleticism (inclusive of physical attributes) plays a majority role in almost all sports.

Last edited by Esacni; 12-01-2022 at 01:16 PM..

Old 12-01-2022, 01:41 PM

445 posts, read 320,727 times
Quote:
You don’t have to be a pro athlete to realize this. Just someone who played organized sports extensively.

I played travel leagues in bball and baseball. In college I played with D1 athletes fairly regularly. I also competed at a high amateur level in strongman (actually got
My pro card but never competed) and Olympic weightlifting (trained for years with those that made it into the national team) until my mid 20s.

I’m not claiming that pro athletes don’t put in any work. It’s their job. Just by virtue of it being their job, they’re at work they’re “working”. If you think the majority of pro athletes are in there giving even 50%, you’re clueless. They’re collecting paychecks just like most people.

You can’t take a slow person and make them fast. You can take a fast person and make them faster. You can’t take a weak person (without PEDs) and make them strong. You can take a strong person and make them stronger. You can’t take a clumsy person and teach them hand eye coordination. You can take a coordinated person and make their coordination even more exceptional.

That’s just the way it is. Athleticism is natural. It can be sharpened but not taught. I’m not even beginning to discuss things like height in bball or durability (size) in football.

Sports consists of 2 things. Athleticism and skill. Skill is more “teachable” but still attached to athleticism. Every sport is a different ratio of athleticism and skill. For example, golf may be a 20% athleticism and 80% skill, bball 80% athleticism and 20% skill, and Olympic weightlifting 95% athleticism and 5% skill. These are just rough numbers but they’re just there to convey a point. Athleticism (inclusive of physical attributes) plays a majority role in almost all sports.
All that is true but you are still wrong about pro athletes. They work extremely hard because they are competing against other supremely athletic people, not little Billy in gym class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: