Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 09:52 PM

215 posts, read 261,550 times

Advertisements

I am moving to FL in two months as I am allowed to work remote, however, employer cannot longer keep their offer of associating me to their FL office as of Jan 2024, so I will still get fully NY taxed even if I live in FL, because I may still be required to come to NY for business reasons for no more than 10 business days per year

Employer HR mentioned the IRS could event get access to office building log in records when visiting NY or track business travel related expenses, if they ever wanted to audit me. They stressed out this was my decision to move out of state and not my employer's Therefore, associating me to their Miami office, so that I would not have to pay NY taxes, was risky. They will no longer consider it

Has anyone moved out of NY recently and started working remote in another state?
How has it worked with your NY tax filling?
Do you get fully taxed? partially taxed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2023, 06:52 AM

9,175 posts, read 6,208,590 times
Has your employer indicated that he will be withholding NYS taxes from your pay? This is important.

What is legal and what people are doing are not necessarily the same thing.

This issue has become more widespread since the pandemic. NYS is one of the states that actively pursues "non-resident" employees and uses "convenience of employer" as the standard.

"Based on guidance on its website, the New York Department of Taxation and Finance (“Department”) recently reiterated that it will enforce the New York convenience of the employer rule even during portions of the pandemic when employees were legally prohibited from traveling to New York. The Department stated, “if you are a nonresident whose primary office is in New York State, your days telecommuting during the pandemic are considered days worked in the state unless your employer has established a bona fide employer office at your telecommuting location.”"

https://www.cbiz.com/insights/articl...ork-income-tax

Old 05-18-2023, 11:48 AM

69 posts, read 27,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiehurt View Post
I am moving to FL in two months as I am allowed to work remote, however, employer cannot longer keep their offer of associating me to their FL office as of Jan 2024, so I will still get fully NY taxed even if I live in FL, because I may still be required to come to NY for business reasons for no more than 10 business days per year

Employer HR mentioned the IRS could event get access to office building log in records when visiting NY or track business travel related expenses, if they ever wanted to audit me. They stressed out this was my decision to move out of state and not my employer's Therefore, associating me to their Miami office, so that I would not have to pay NY taxes, was risky. They will no longer consider it

Has anyone moved out of NY recently and started working remote in another state?

You've acknowledged that your employer informed you that your NY office will remain as your official duty location, since they are not requiring that you relocate, at this time. As such, you will be impacted by the "Convenience of the Employer" rule.

Quote:
Convenience of the Employer Rule
Many people may not realize that you do not need to live in New York or be physically present there to be subject to New York income tax on your wage income. Under the New York “convenience of the employer” rule, the wages of an individual who is a resident of a state other than New York but who works for a New York-based employer, are considered to constitute New York source income unless, out of necessity, the employee is obligated to work outside of the state.

For example, John, who effectively changed his domicile to New Jersey in 2020, is working remotely from his home in New Jersey. John’s employer is a software company based in New York City. Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, John has not crossed the Hudson River and set foot in New York at all. However, due to the New York convenience of the employer rule, unless it can be shown that John must work from home out of necessity, every day spent working from his home in New Jersey will be counted as New York working days, and John will be taxed by New York on all his wage income...

https://www.cbiz.com/insights/articl...ork-income-tax

Old 05-18-2023, 04:11 PM

193 posts, read 106,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiehurt View Post

If the US pursues taxes from people who dont even live and work in the US .. did you really think you could escape the IRS by movin to Florida??

Old 05-18-2023, 05:13 PM

9,175 posts, read 6,208,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icequeentt View Post
If the US pursues taxes from people who dont even live and work in the US .. did you really think you could escape the IRS by movin to Florida??

And New York is notorious for chasing non-residents for money. Ask all the people who work in NY but live in NJ and CT. The detailed recordkeeping needed by non-residents to allocate NY sourced income from non-NY sourced income is very detailed and often challenged by NYS. My husband had to produce airline tickets and hotel receipts to substantiate his travel days out of New York to preclude NYS taxing that income. Happened almost every year.

Old 05-18-2023, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icequeentt View Post
I am not trying to escape the IRS, i've been paying fed taxes since i live here
I am trying to avoid paying a New York State tax since I won't live, visit NY for work after Dec 2023

Old 05-19-2023, 12:00 AM

[quote=Lillie767;65297597]Has your employer indicated that he will be withholding NYS taxes from your pay? This is important.

What is legal and what people are doing are not necessarily the same thing.

Yes, they have...:-(

Old 05-19-2023, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely_SummerNight View Post
You've acknowledged that your employer informed you that your NY office will remain as your official duty location, since they are not requiring that you relocate, at this time. As such, you will be impacted by the "Convenience of the Employer" rule.
Yes, they have
They have concerns of associating me with their Miami office, even when I offered to commute to the local office and quit working remote
They will not make a case for me

Old 05-19-2023, 12:43 AM

16,101 posts, read 6,868,553 times
The convenience of the employer rule

Do as the Romans did . Give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar.

As far as Working from home? Count your lucky stars.
One should be so lucky.
Best wishes.

Old 05-20-2023, 02:29 PM

On the subject of counting blessings ,,,,The people of Rome were suppressed by the Roman empire for 8 centuries, until they had it and said enough is enough, I can’t go on, let’s through him out! Centuries before Streisand and summer had a hit song!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City