Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2023, 05:33 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssalceraflew View Post
This only works if the wage is sufficient enough to make them ineligible for welfare programs. If their wage is boosted and they're still eligible for welfare programs, it simply just another redistribution (aka welfare) program.
most on lower incomes will get subsidized health insurance at the least which can be very costly if one has to pay for their own .

seniors can qualify for for scrie and never see another rent increase if they qualify .

there are also reduced utility costs and quite a bit more which one can get if they qualify .

very few who are lower incomes actually live on those incomes.

under certain income levels medication that just cost me 500 dollars with insurance is 25 bucks under manufacturer programs.

if one was eligible for all the welfare benefits they could get in our state it would take an earned income of 41,251 to equal that.

Using a narrower definition excluding everything but TANF, SNAP and Medicaid, the value of the basic welfare package was estimated at $24,007,

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-09-2023 at 05:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2023, 05:46 AM

293 posts, read 89,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
most on lower incomes will get subsidized health insurance at the least which can be very costly if one has to pay for their own .

seniors can qualify for for scrie and never see another rent increase if they qualify .

there are also reduced utility costs and quite a bit more which one can get if they qualify .

very few who are lower incomes actually live on those incomes.

under certain income levels medication that just cost me 500 dollars with insurance is 25 bucks under manufacturer programs.

if one was eligible for all the welfare benefits they could get in our state it would take an earned income of 41,251 to equal that.

Using a narrower definition excluding everything but TANF, SNAP and Medicaid, the value of the basic welfare package was estimated at $24,007,
There was a study done sometime in the mid 2010's. The average value of welfare in NYC (including housing subsidies) was valued at somewhere around $60K.

Old 07-09-2023, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssalceraflew View Post
There was a study done sometime in the mid 2010's. The average value of welfare in NYC (including housing subsidies) was valued at somewhere around $60K.
a more recent one now shows less

the CATO study is the most recent and does not include section 8

most would never see that 60k in benefits as few get all of them

Old 07-09-2023, 09:16 AM

5,679 posts, read 2,612,281 times
Quote:
even in the hoods the household incomes are higher then 37.440 .

you and i have a very different view on living on 38k in nyc and having a great life on it
Sad really. Base your life on money versus life experiences. To each their own.

Old 07-09-2023, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Sad really. Base your life on money versus life experiences. To each their own.
not at all but i know what it cost us to live.. i know we would never have anything but a stress filled life on that amount if it was even a do at all .

we certainly couldn’t live where we do in queens.

7k of that would just go for medicare , our supplement and drug plan and copays right off the bat .

24k for rent

no taxes insurance ,utilities , food or anything else in life.

great life, maybe for you , but i doubt many here will agree it would be a great life for them

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-09-2023 at 10:04 AM..

Old 07-10-2023, 10:43 PM

12 posts, read 3,549 times
Quote:
not at all but i know what it cost us to live.. i know we would never have anything but a stress filled life on that amount if it was even a do at all .

we certainly couldn’t live where we do in queens.

7k of that would just go for medicare , our supplement and drug plan and copays right off the bat .

24k for rent

no taxes insurance ,utilities , food or anything else in life.

great life, maybe for you , but i doubt many here will agree it would be a great life for them
Not everyone has family connections and gigantic friend bases to guide them, protect, and carry them easily through life like you.

Some people have zero business weighing in on minimum wage jobs in New York City and they certainly have limited ability to relate to being outcompeted for minimum wage work in NYC stolen by illegals. You can harp and kick and scream and tell everyone how many people you know but you seriously cannot relate to the truth of todays NYC.

The illegals are stealing work from people who are “below” you. Too many New Yorkers are this way, they were carried by friends and family, and, pampered, really is how that is. Yet they kick and scream and say they worked hard for everything. But the truth is the illegals are stealing everything from us, you just lucked out and got yours before the invasion.

Thanks but no thanks for your hardcore, outdated NYC advice.

Old 07-11-2023, 03:47 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
pay them the $18 a hour. people need to make a livable wage
Then they just become full time employees. They'd have to work full time and wouldn't be able to choose their routes or days off.
I think most people who work for these apps like the flexibility and use it as a side hustle. Only a minority would want to work like that full time as a primary source of income.
I personally do not care since it doesn't affect me, but I think people should have the option to make an extra buck outside of their work if they want to.

Old 07-11-2023, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicory_sun View Post
Not everyone has family connections and gigantic friend bases to guide them, protect, and carry them easily through life like you.

Some people have zero business weighing in on minimum wage jobs in New York City and they certainly have limited ability to relate to being outcompeted for minimum wage work in NYC stolen by illegals. You can harp and kick and scream and tell everyone how many people you know but you seriously cannot relate to the truth of todays NYC.

The illegals are stealing work from people who are “below” you. Too many New Yorkers are this way, they were carried by friends and family, and, pampered, really is how that is. Yet they kick and scream and say they worked hard for everything. But the truth is the illegals are stealing everything from us, you just lucked out and got yours before the invasion.

Thanks but no thanks for your hardcore, outdated NYC advice.
i went easily thru life ?

i busted my hump for everything i have

i made it a priority in life never to raise my own family in a project or to ever go back

Old 07-11-2023, 05:27 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
So true. They talk about "jobs Americans won't do" but American kids were doing these jobs for decades before mostly Hispanic illegal aliens came by the hundreds of thousands to NYC/LI starting in the late mid 90s. Every teenager I new growing up in the 80s had a part time job at places like McDonalds or a local deli/bagel store to help put some money in their pocket during high school/college, including myself. In fact it was almost embarrasing to see a person in their late 20's, 30's, 40s or 50s working these types of jobs unless they were part of a 2nd job (single mom) or a retiree. Nowadays every deli in Queens has Hispanics working in them full time as their "career." Folks that are raising kids and paying rent. Totally unskilled and mostly uneducated foreigners. Even the deli my friend and I worked in until end of college is now all Hispanic s who do it as a full time job.

Notice you never hear the term "entry level" jobs anymore at these places. The far left liberal scum of this city and others like them expect small biz owners to pay living wages to grown ass adults to flip burgers and make ham sandwiches while we the customers pay out the nose.
Who works at McDonalds while the kids are in school? I guess back in the day all the McDonalds used to close from 8:30 AM to 3:30 PM

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-11-2023, 05:30 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I'm sick of the City trying to turn low-skilled, low-wage jobs into "livable wage jobs". These jobs have always supplemented peoples' incomes. They were never meant to be jobs to feed families and now that NYC has eliminated middle class manufacturing jobs, they are trying to turn low wage service jobs into "high-paying jobs" (high-paying compared to the skillset). It's not sustainable. The business model that Uber, DoorDash, etc. have pays people as independent contractors and NYC is trying to make it so that these people are paid almost like employees. The business model doesn't work that way because the cost of the service becomes too expensive to justify using it. I mean what are they going to raise the prices to?

As it stands now, just a regular pizza with tip costs easily $25 - 30. At some point, you have prices that just become too high. Is someone going to pay $40 - 50 for a pizza with tip? I don't think so, and that's the issue here, so while they may think that they're getting higher wages, fewer people will order because the prices will be too high.
Now? The nail in the coffin for NYC and manufacturing was the Triangle Shirtwaist Fire, look up how long ago that was...

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: