Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2024, 09:42 PM

47 posts, read 18,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Thats exactly the problem, the focus became on earning money and not expanding your knowledge on a particular topic, that's what college was originally for, so you could become an expert in a particular study

Businesses made degrees pretty much mandatory

Most businesses

I suspect you are at least 20 years my senior, I am in my mid-40s. I can see why we will differ on opinions. Times have changed.
Until the late 1960s it was easy for someone to do reasonably well with a high school degree. Once the 1970s rolled in plus feminism then a college degree became important.

Then by the early 2000s the thinking was what type of degree. Then STEM became important. But reality is not everyone can nor should do STEM if they don't have the stamina or tolerance for it.

So we have a weird market on demand.

I am not saying it is right or wrong but we live in strange times.

The only problem I do notice is this generation of Millennials or Gen Z or whatever you call them don't have the ability to recognize their weaknesses or to say "i am not good at x, what is the y to improve". So when we try to coach or teach them, they get very confrontational and are unwilling to learn. It's easy to improve someone willing to comprehend they are wrong but impossible to fix someone when they think their insanity is right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2024, 10:27 PM

31,902 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Don't like to hit a person when they're down, but with this "Z" generation you can't be sure what they're up to.

I dunno, it all smells like yet another Gen Z PR scheme to get themselves talked about, generate clicks and hits.....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...iking-out.html

Sadly it is fairly common nowadays for employers of all sorts insisting on unpaid work prior to hiring. IMHO it is wrong and cannot imagine wanting any job badly enough to be used in that way, but that's new real in finding a job nowadays it seems for many.

In any event Ms. Santos finally landed a job, so guess it all worked out ok.

Old 02-09-2024, 12:59 AM

24,606 posts, read 9,442,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
26 Yr old Woman cries on TikTok about failing to find work in NYC.
The ramifications of minimal wage hikes. Be careful what you wish for.

Old 02-09-2024, 03:45 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,836,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
If you can convince your kid to stay and live with you till 28 while they go from 50k to 100 k that’s great. Not sure how many youngsters want to do that at that age. I moved out at 20 making 50k in 2000 or so. Wanted to rent my own place and party as much as possible. I wish I stayed longer and saved a lot more money for a house but you are young once.
If my kids decide to start a life outside of nyc I’ll be very glad and they will have my full support. But if they want to stay here, I’ll try to convince them to live with us and save as much as possible.

There is nothing greater than learned experience.
You offer very sound advice. I hope you kids are listening.

Old 02-09-2024, 04:27 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,836,692 times
My take.

Social Media provides a platform of equity.
4 walls separating you from the real world outside.
A fallacious atmosphere of hopes and promises.

1) I knew my freedoms to move about were in peril once beepers came into play in the 70's. A physical leash set my boundaries.
2) I knew my freedom of speech was in peril once moblie phones came into existence in the 80's. My boss only a phone call away.
3) I knew my ability to think for myself was in peril once smartphones became available in the 90's. Follow the sheep mentality.
4) I knew my freedoms and abilities were doomed once social media came available in late 90's-2000's. All the above combined.

That 26 year old girl is not crying because she does not have a job. She has woken from her decade long nap.
She is crying because she no longer has the romper room college campus of equity to play in.

She is crying because she realizes she is now a slave to society. Traumatic.
She is crying because she realizes she has to physically struggle, bow to higher authority and carry her own weight
in order to survive!

Welcome to the real world kid. It was a good cry. Consider yourself fortunate. You are aware. Get busy and get to work.
Some never learn to cry those very tears and wander thru life aimless and angry at the world claiming unfairness while
never amounting to anything.

I did my time (40 years.)
I was every employers bar mop.
A truly humbling experieince.
Now enjoying a plebeian retirement.
Was it worth the struggle?

Depends.
Why?

Because with retirement eventually comes the curse of old age. Try to postpone it.
So work as much as you can while young. Sock away your money and Retire early.

Come back and read this post again in about 40 years and give me a thumbs up.
I'll be 6 feet under but I have a funny feeling this post will be ageless.

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 02-09-2024 at 04:45 AM..

Old 02-09-2024, 06:03 AM

34,074 posts, read 47,260,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Not all degrees position the holder for a career, especially a lucrative one. Not all degrees are worth what the student paid for them (incurring big debt in the process. ) Anyone thinking about getting a degree needs to figure out what career it positions them for, and if that career will pay them what they need to succeed in life, especially if that included paying off the education debt.

And there are other ways to succeed besides getting a degree and an office job. The skilled trades are dying for people, and, unlike college, apprentices get paid while they're learning.
Not everybody wants to "swing a hammer" for 20-25 years
Aptitude used to play a major role in determining your career when there was less financial pressure
Now our suggestion is "just go find something, anything to do to make money"
This is not right

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-09-2024, 06:05 AM

2,438 posts, read 1,215,423 times
When I graduated, some of the advice I got was to get a copy of The Chief. No idea if it is still printed, but nothing wrong with civil service.

Old 02-09-2024, 06:11 AM

1 posts, read 201 times
the situation of the trump, and biden years are much worse than 2008, or the 90s. in the trump/biden years, you saw many malls go out of business. even when i look at the number of chinese restraunts, they are much fewer than what they were 10yrs ago. i would say that the country has been going downhill for many decades, and will probably be worse in the coming years whether trump wins or not. people are eating less healthy, having less kids, and growing apart from other fellow humans, much fewer people are buying houses. now theres a worker shortage, and this is unlikely to change with or without trump. the worker shortage leads to lower quality workers. you see many managers hiring people now that they wouldve never considered 10 years ago. this is why the quality of service these days are lower than what it wouldve been 10 years ago. also contributing to the worker shortage was the mass deportations under 0bama, and trump.

Old 02-09-2024, 06:23 AM

50,351 posts, read 63,928,555 times
If you get a degree in acting and communications, what do you expect? She should have considered the job market before she chose a major.

Old 02-09-2024, 08:00 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,148,402 times
Not attacking the Tik Toker who cried but................

there are waitresses and waiters out earning white collar workers in NYC.

If you're healthy, work. Even a horrible job leads to a better job. HR always wants to steal you from another company. That's how life works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: