Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2024, 07:44 AM

4,195 posts, read 4,077,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
Thanks for the video/pics I've seen it in action. In nice suburban neighborhoods. I can't see how the truck is going to hook into cans with double parkers, delivery trucks, bike lanes and bumper to bumper parked cars blocking the cans.
Exactly. The concept works well on wide streets with no parking but I don't see how a DSNY truck will be able to pick up a container from a city sidewalk with cars parked up and down the block. I think the workers will just take the bag(s) from the containers and throw them into the truck. They could roll the bins out to the truck and have the truck lift it and empty it but that's time consuming and not worth it unless the bins are heavy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2024, 11:19 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,212,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Exactly. The concept works well on wide streets with no parking but I don't see how a DSNY truck will be able to pick up a container from a city sidewalk with cars parked up and down the block. I think the workers will just take the bag(s) from the containers and throw them into the truck. They could roll the bins out to the truck and have the truck lift it and empty it but that's time consuming and not worth it unless the bins are heavy.
You can pretty much tell its transplants coming up with these ideas and not pure bred NY'ers. Same with shoehorning bike lanes in where they don't fit. "Well we have this/that where I come from" Pffft

Old 04-15-2024, 12:30 PM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
NYC always manages to turn simple tasks in life into complex ones. This includes the "recycling" programs that recycle very little.

Old 04-15-2024, 01:06 PM

2,314 posts, read 1,148,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
You can pretty much tell its transplants coming up with these ideas and not pure bred NY'ers. Same with shoehorning bike lanes in where they don't fit. "Well we have this/that where I come from" Pffft

Actually this idiotic plan comes from our own home-grown Rich Girl DSNY Comissioner Jessica Tisch. Her clueless arrogance towards the middle-class NYC homeowner is truly amazing. I've been putting my trash out in tightly closed bags for 30+ years, in all that time maybe once or twice a cat got into them. Now homeowners will be inconvenienced by having to chase down their pails on windy days and in all kinds of bad weather. Another part of the war on the NYC homeowner. Not only that, but empty pails in front of a home tell burglars that there's a good chance the house is empty.

Old 04-15-2024, 02:45 PM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Actually this idiotic plan comes from our own home-grown Rich Girl DSNY Comissioner Jessica Tisch. Her clueless arrogance towards the middle-class NYC homeowner is truly amazing. I've been putting my trash out in tightly closed bags for 30+ years, in all that time maybe once or twice a cat got into them. Now homeowners will be inconvenienced by having to chase down their pails on windy days and in all kinds of bad weather. Another part of the war on the NYC homeowner. Not only that, but empty pails in front of a home tell burglars that there's a good chance the house is empty.
But why do we complain here rather than at the polls?

Old 04-15-2024, 10:25 PM

1,239 posts, read 311,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The polls are useless nowadays. The politicians have bought off a large enough percentage of the electorate and they can’t lose unless they lose the ability to purchase votes.

Old 04-16-2024, 11:52 AM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Voters out on SI usually do the right thing, especially in relation to matters of owning property. This is as it should be in an area where majority of persons own.

Sadly most New Yorkers rent their housing and thus cannot be bothered with knowing (or caring) about such issues. All they know is "my rent is too high", blah, blah, blah.

Even worse nearly 70% of renters in NYC are in regulated, subsidized or other housing where they aren't holding up their end. They cannot be touched and are largely immune to actual costs borne by those who own the property they live in.

Old 04-16-2024, 11:54 AM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Every one mentions that woman's name to DSNY guys (or gals) response is something one cannot repeat in a family forum.

Old 04-16-2024, 12:03 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,212,637 times
We are completely out numbered and out voted. Add up all the people who work for the City/State and in all the people getting hand outs , you are never going to overcome that. Heck they even get the entire day off to vote.

Old 04-16-2024, 01:36 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Universal Suffrage.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City