Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 10:27 AM

299 posts, read 173,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
There are plenty of thieves that follow Amazon delivery trucks and just pickup their dropped off packages too. NYC package theft is also high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2024, 02:49 PM

32,035 posts, read 27,248,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I recently ordered a 3 ounce tube of first aid cream on Amazon and the seller sent me 15 pounds of a nutritional drink. I had to lug the 15 pound package to the post office and wait on the line a half hour to return it or they won't make an exchange. I'm not a big fan of Amazon.
Only safe bet with Amazon is things they sell themselves; going with other sellers who use platform is always a gamble.

As for returns Amazon has many local options including UPS and FedEx locations along with places such as Duane Reade/Walgreens and similar stores.

That being said best option is usually USPS, FedEx or UPS where they will scan item upon receipt into system. People have dropped off stuff at say Duane Reade stores and days later package still is sitting.

Old 05-08-2024, 03:10 PM

9,267 posts, read 6,420,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLucian View Post
“Young black kids growing up in the Bronx who don’t even know what the word ‘computer’ is” - New York Governor Kathy Hochul
Kathy Hochul makes Maura Healey look like a genius.

Old 05-08-2024, 03:19 PM

9,267 posts, read 6,420,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
I hope they enjoy my freeze dried miso soup and leave-in hair conditioner.

I never understood package theft. You don’t know what’s in the package, and most of the time it’s stuff that is very specific to the buyer and that is otherwise junk to just about anyone else.
They don't steal packages for their own personal use, they steal the packages to resell the contents either online or on the street. Someone will buy it, maybe the original purchaser will do it again.

Old 05-09-2024, 09:30 AM

440 posts, read 161,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Good for you

Most people don't go to movie theaters any more
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ce-since-1980/

Ticket sales were declining, for a variety of reasons, since the early 2000s. They include rising ticket and snack bar prices (a function of studio greed, making movies so expensive that theaters had to sell tons of overpriced popcorn to turn any kind of profit), and of course the home viewing experience becoming better and more affordable.

They were also declining because of increasing diversity, which makes the public theater experience less desirable (and more dangerous), both in reality and in peoples' minds, since increased diversity has been shown to make everyone less trusting of others, even those in their own race, and more inclined to withdraw from public life.

But as the numbers show, the nail in the coffin for the cinema was Covid lockdowns and paranoia, something else pushed primarily by the left.

In sum, movie studios (leftist), diversity (leftist), and Covid insanity (leftist) killed movie theaters.

To address the OP, rising real estate prices and more online shopping have of course been a problem for local businesses. But they were surviving, albeit on much thinner margins. Small locally owned businesses often barely turn a profit, and retail theft affects them significantly more than large corporate-owned stores. It's not surprising that a business barely limping along can be pushed over the edge by out-of-control crime, particularly since what's even the point of hanging on when your government obviously has no intention of fixing the problem, and in fact will not only blame you, but arrest you if you try to stop it.

Old 05-09-2024, 10:28 AM

4,210 posts, read 4,123,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Only safe bet with Amazon is things they sell themselves; going with other sellers who use platform is always a gamble.

As for returns Amazon has many local options including UPS and FedEx locations along with places such as Duane Reade/Walgreens and similar stores.

That being said best option is usually USPS, FedEx or UPS where they will scan item upon receipt into system. People have dropped off stuff at say Duane Reade stores and days later package still is sitting.
In this case the only prepaid return label option was via USPS. They say you can leave it for the mail carrier to pick up during a regular mail delivery but then there is no receipt. I asked for a replacement and then returned the item at the post office. The 15 pound return was delivered back to the seller yesterday per the tracking number. The three ounce item I re-ordered before I returned the wrong item will take an additional five or more days to receive.

Old 05-09-2024, 11:01 AM

18,508 posts, read 31,748,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we return all amazon right to a ups store by us . no wait at all . we don’t even have to box it , they do

yes same here, UPS Sore in Industry City it is exactly 10 straight blocks from my office, easy and nice little walk to do at lunchtime should I have to return anything.
amazon is the best thing since popcorn.

I am a middle age man, the last thing i want to do on a Saturday is look for a broiler pan, a can of spray paint, small tub of joint compound, dog food, peat moss, spackle knives, t shirts, and i can go on and one.
I place order from my computer at work, the UPS man delivers it right to me.
easiest thing.
luckily though my office building is 2 floors and one company so that's why we are allowed to have our personal deliveries sent here, it is a very relaxed company, so this is the greatest thing for me

Old 05-09-2024, 12:21 PM

25,426 posts, read 37,226,186 times
Was that the last Strip Mall in the Northeast? I thought the last of them closed shop sometime in the 1980's.

Quote:
Liberal Logic: “no it’s because of streaming nobody goes to the movies anymore”.
That is a truism and a largely contributing reason is the $20 ticket and $6 popcorn and $2 Junior Mints..

That's not Liberal Logic, it is LOGIC.

Old 05-09-2024, 02:23 PM

17,537 posts, read 15,646,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

That is a truism and a largely contributing reason is the $20 ticket and $6 popcorn and $2 Junior Mints..

That's not Liberal Logic, it is LOGIC.
$6 popcorn?? Where? I'm pretty sure the last few times I went to the movies, I paid over $40 for popcorn, fountain drinks and nachos. And yes, that is absolutely insane, and a huge reason why it makes no sense for us to go to the movie theater. It's a fun place for my teenage kids to hang out with their friends, kind of like going to the arcade.

Old 05-21-2024, 06:09 PM

15,638 posts, read 15,771,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
I like this guys channel, shows the reality of NYC decline due to weak politicians in an easy to watch videos
I watched the beginning, but saw nothing that would make me believe it's reliable. I don't put much trust in random YouTubes, and statistically, it has turned out that the stories about retail theft were mostly fear-mongering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: