Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 06:04 AM

4 posts, read 13,430 times

Advertisements

no you aren't crazy! in fact, that's the only way to do it. pack up your bags and don't look back. sure it's terrifying, but if you can land a job for 45 to start you're golden. no guts, no glory, right? plus nyc has soooo much to offer! have a look at this website i've been browsing around all summer when i'm looking for things to do, places to go, and places to eat. it'll get you hyped about all the amazing things the city offers, uloveny.com. good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 09:43 AM

138 posts, read 369,368 times
No children, 23, and starting out in life... hell why not to move to NYC and experience the Big Apple? But when you want start a family, then NYC might not be the place for you.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:58 AM

3,734 posts, read 4,545,128 times
Follow your heart! There's nothing to stop you. You don't want to have any regrets later.

The only note of caution I would give you is to first line up a job, as it could take a lot longer to find one than you might expect.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:16 AM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyWAyyy View Post
So I decide, it was now or never. I"M MOVING TO NYC. I'm so nervous but crazy excited. I just wanted to share and get some feedback.

Here's my situation:
I'm young, 23, college educated and have 5k in the bank.
I dont have housing lined up. However, i'm looking for roommates via craigslist and other sites. I dont have a job yet, either but i have a degree in accounting and I'm not too worried about finding work. I'm estimating that I can pull in atleast $45K/year from a job.

What do you think? Am I crazy to pack all my stuff in my car and just go?
At least you seem prepared...not crazy at all. Crazy would be heading to NYC with no plan, no money, and no idea of what to do...

Accounting will be a very valuable degree to have. NYC has TONS of accounting positions and you'll find work quickly. Good luck!!

Old 07-16-2008, 10:17 AM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
Ugh, I grew up in NYC. Couldn't wait to leave!
LOL...this cracks me up!! Grass is ALWAYS Greener...always...

Old 07-16-2008, 10:33 AM

2,280 posts, read 4,512,068 times
Default New York City ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeinaus View Post
We have lived in Denver, Washington DC, Sydney Australia, London and NYC. By far, NYC is where we were happiest and where we ache to return to. We lived there for 7 years until we left in 2005. It is the most fabulous place in the world and I think you will enjoy your adventure. Do lots of research before you go - NY times real estate section online, Village Voice (if it still exists), CraigsList, etc. Think about living in Brooklyn - you can have a shortish commute to downtown (if you work downtown). I would definitely talk to temp agencies before you arrive so that you can hit the ground running. Don't be nervous - just prepared!

I am a native of Long Island, Nassau County to be precise, but our house was 1/4 mile from the Queens border. My brothers attended a Jesuit high school in Manhattan and my sister and I went to a Catholic high school in Queens.

I am thinking that when you say you ache to return there, I have to assume you are talking about life in Manhattan or perhaps certain gentrified sections of Brooklyn. Otherwise, I cannot imagine you are talking about the rest of NYC: Queens, The Bronx, Staten Island and parts of Brooklyn.

I am just curious what you meant, exactly - that is, WHERE, in NYC you ache to return.

(I live in a suburban, yard + trees section of Queens, my husband works every day in lower Manhattan, was born and raised her, we feel stuck here, have a brother with a large condo in the Upper West Side and don't think his life style is very enviable, unless you like to walk out to a racket on the street, don't like NY much - I can't imagine why London would not be far, far more interesting, what with the fabulous English culture. A former Bostonian, I would take Boston/Cambridge a million times over Manhattan or any part of NYC, too. We had everything NYC has with a far more beautiful city and a far more cultural and intellectual "landscape".

(I went to the Metropolitan opera for several years, know the Metropolitan Museum of Art well, the other museums, too - but still consider NYC only good for an occasional visit. Certainly not to live here - yikes! That's how we feel about it - No offense intended - I am sure you have had great experiences that you cherish here in NY.)

But, after all of that, I do think this young person would probably have a great time as she wants to be here and she certainly makes enough money to live with a roommate or two and have lots to do!

Old 07-16-2008, 04:31 PM

220 posts, read 762,704 times
GO! RUN! PACK NOW! Why are you still reading this? Shouldn't you be on a plane or something?

I'm surprised people are being so encouraging. I moved out there last year and I asked peoples opinion before I moved and I was scared out of my mind by some peoples responses.

BUT...

I survived, more then survived I flourished! I loved it. I had a job lined up first (I worked for a non-profit working with children) but I made 230 a week lived in a rough part of town had two roommates and loved it! There were some hard times, times i cried and yelled at myself for moving there (im a small mountain town girl) but now that I'm back in the mountain town I ache to return (I lived in Bushwick Brooklyn worked in Queens spent most of my time in Manhattan)

I obviously didn't make that much money but I felt like I was always doing something. The people are really nice out there, and there are always free events to go to.
You are young, plenty of time to mess up! you only live once. Good luck! have fun!

Old 07-16-2008, 05:52 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
We lived 10 years in Stuyvesant Town when it was all rent stabilized. Weren't doing that well, but the low rent made Manhattan work for us.

Now that it's gone market rate, no way our family could ever return from NC.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:53 PM

296 posts, read 734,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelsieB View Post
GO! RUN! PACK NOW! Why are you still reading this? Shouldn't you be on a plane or something?

I'm surprised people are being so encouraging. I moved out there last year and I asked peoples opinion before I moved and I was scared out of my mind by some peoples responses.

BUT...

I survived, more then survived I flourished! I loved it. I had a job lined up first (I worked for a non-profit working with children) but I made 230 a week lived in a rough part of town had two roommates and loved it! There were some hard times, times i cried and yelled at myself for moving there (im a small mountain town girl) but now that I'm back in the mountain town I ache to return (I lived in Bushwick Brooklyn worked in Queens spent most of my time in Manhattan)

I obviously didn't make that much money but I felt like I was always doing something. The people are really nice out there, and there are always free events to go to.
You are young, plenty of time to mess up! you only live once. Good luck! have fun!

Why did you move back to the mountains if you had such a good time in NYC???

Old 07-17-2008, 08:19 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,229 times
Default No, you're not crazy......

beauty is in the eye of the beholder. NYC, like anywhere in the USA, has pluses and minuses.

Words of caution:

1. Don't assume a degree in accounting is a guarantee for a job.

2. NYC = Bronx, Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island.

3. In the first four boroughs, you can find areas to live without a car and apply that money toward rent, food, savings for your future.

Good luck if you decide to come here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City