Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 09:10 AM

220 posts, read 763,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90'sHip_Hop_Head View Post
Why did you move back to the mountains if you had such a good time in NYC???
The job I had was only a ten month program so I only planned to stay that long (stupid move) then I would go back to colorado and go to college. I'm going to do a year of school here and probably transfer out to a school in NYC. I honestly thought i wasnt goint to fall for it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 02:13 PM

296 posts, read 734,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelsieB View Post
The job I had was only a ten month program so I only planned to stay that long (stupid move) then I would go back to colorado and go to college. I'm going to do a year of school here and probably transfer out to a school in NYC. I honestly thought i wasnt goint to fall for it

So do you like NYC better than colorado??

Old 07-17-2008, 03:47 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,298,861 times
New York is like no place else. You're young and if you're flexible/adaptable you'll have a great time. One word of caution regarding jobs: the market is stupendously competitive and things like what college you went to and class rank/GPA matter here much more than they do elsewhere. I know the big law firms (I've worked at many) won't even consider a candidate who didn't go to a top 10 (preferably 5) law school. I imagine the big accounting firms are similar.

It took me 3 to 4 months to get a temp job despite sending out hundreds of resumes. I had temped for years with a national agency (Adecco) and they wouldn't even give me an interview. I found out later it was because I didn't have any "New York experience." I lucked into an interview through an opera singer I met at a party. He had an audition in Washington, DC and couldn't make an interview he had scheduled. He offered to call the agency and get them to give me the appointment instead.

The point is that New York employers are very snobbish and particular because they can be. They receive hundreds (sometimes thousands) of applications for any given job. It's very had to break through. It takes a lot networking and a bit of luck. Don't get discouraged; it will likely take a while to get settled.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:56 PM

96 posts, read 407,540 times
The job market is tight but you can def make more. This is NYC, everyone makes more for the most part. You've got 5000? I'd get a sublet for like 2 months and go ALL OUT finding a job. Spend every minute of every day doing it. Just try and leave a grand or 2 on the side. Things can happen in life that set you back. Do you have health insurance? You don't want to get sick and totally lose everything.

Regardless, go all out. Don't use craigslist for job, just accumulate a list of all the place in NYC that you would work for, hit their website and apply. If its a smaller place go in person with a resume and drop it off and ask if you can wait to meet the person hiring.

Thats my 2 cents, good luck, keep your ahead above water.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:40 PM

220 posts, read 763,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90'sHip_Hop_Head View Post
So do you like NYC better than colorado??
i like them both, Colorado is home you know? But I think as a female in her younger years I prefer NYC. Its lively and loud and busy and so much fun! People are so welcoming and theres always something to do or someone to see. Most people come out to Colorado to get AWAY from people. I feel lonely here.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:43 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,979,778 times
Default hm

Well, Yeah you are crazy. So you should fit right in in NY.
One thing I can say is that it would be unwise to move there without at LEAST $5,000. It can be hard to find a job here in the beginning. Plus, whether you get a new apartment or share with someone, you'll most likely need 1st month's rent, last month's rent and security deposit. Also, if you are thinking about signing the lease on a new apartment, you may need to get someone to cosign (parents, etc) - the income requirements are insane on even relatively "cheap" apartments. My husband and I had to get my dad to cosign on ours. we only pay $1640 for a 2-bedroom Harlem apartment.
good luck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyWAyyy View Post
So I decide, it was now or never. I"M MOVING TO NYC. I'm so nervous but crazy excited. I just wanted to share and get some feedback.

Here's my situation:
I'm young, 23, college educated and have 5k in the bank.
I dont have housing lined up. However, i'm looking for roommates via craigslist and other sites. I dont have a job yet, either but i have a degree in accounting and I'm not too worried about finding work. I'm estimating that I can pull in atleast $45K/year from a job.

What do you think? Am I crazy to pack all my stuff in my car and just go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City