Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 07:29 AM

536 posts, read 2,349,259 times

Advertisements

Well I couldn't tell you what the difference between northern and southern street smarts is, because I don't blend in too well with people down south and immediately recognized as an outsider. Maybe it has something to do with the way that I talk.... or tawk...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 07:51 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,137,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysocks View Post
No "Hi, how are you, great weather today. Um... I was wondering if you knew where such and such street is, I have a doctor appointment there and I'm running late; I'm so sorry to bother you." It's just "Hey, you know how to get to such & such?"
You know what's funny is that when I DO get approached by someone saying "excuse me, miss..." (or ma'am or whatever) with a pause afterwards, that's when my street smarts kick in and I make a very quick judgment about whether I should even acknowledge their question at all. If it's someone who looks like a visitor and I am in Manhattan, then I will stop.

But I would say more often than not, when it's someone asking for money or trying to scam me, that's when they start with this "excuse me miss. . ."
People who are asking directions generally just start in with the question, "excuse me, can you tell me where such and such is" or half the time the "excuse me" is skipped completely.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:13 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,248,887 times
I think people do tend to blow it out of proportion. But there are some neighborhoods where trouble definitely finds you.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:13 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,251,035 times
Henna, I totally agree with you. Just the other day, a woman stopped to say how much she liked my hair and before she could finish, I apologized and told her that I didn't have any spare change. She said thanks anyway and my husband turned to me and said, "I had no idea that she was going to ask for money. I thought she just liked your hair."

I've been in NYC for almost 15 years, he's new in town.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:12 AM

854 posts, read 2,864,103 times
Hi, I will most likely be transferred to our NYC office in the next few weeks/months. I've been living in Miami for the last two years and before that I lived in one of Europe's biggest cities.
I've been to NYC before as well as to a lot of other cities in the US like Chicago, Kansas City, Denver, Dallas and DC. Dallas was by far the worst. We were looking for a parking spot when somebody knocked at the door of our car and was like "give me a dollar and I'll show you a great parking spot". No thanks. I think I have "some" street smarts.

How would you say does NYC compare to Miami in terms of crime? Our NYC office is in a rough area as far as I know (South Jamaica on Rockaway Blvd between Beasley Blvd and JFK). Would it be a good idea to use public transportation during regular business hours to get to and from work (bus Q6) with a transfer at Jamaica Station (let's say J/M/Z) inbetween?

Old 07-15-2008, 11:12 AM

34,100 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90'sHip_Hop_Head View Post
I dont understand why so many people are so concerned with safety when thinking about moving to Nyc. Dont get me wrong safety is important but i think some people just blow it out of proportion sometimes. In my perspective Nyc is no different than any other city when it comes to safety, crime happens everywhere and their is no dodging death when it is really your time to go. I just want to know what created this fear in some of these poeple!?Maybe they have been in some personal experiances that give them the thought of fear instantly. If you are one of these people share your experiance(s) and if you have overcame them or are still going through them...
the reason why out-of-towners are so concerned with safety in nyc because all they know of nyc is whats portrayed in the news, movies, and music. thats probably the biggest question that newcomers ask on this forum.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-15-2008, 11:30 AM

343 posts, read 1,026,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddiyo View Post
Hi, I will most likely be transferred to our NYC office in the next few weeks/months. I've been living in Miami for the last two years and before that I lived in one of Europe's biggest cities.
I've been to NYC before as well as to a lot of other cities in the US like Chicago, Kansas City, Denver, Dallas and DC. Dallas was by far the worst. We were looking for a parking spot when somebody knocked at the door of our car and was like "give me a dollar and I'll show you a great parking spot". No thanks. I think I have "some" street smarts.

How would you say does NYC compare to Miami in terms of crime? Our NYC office is in a rough area as far as I know (South Jamaica on Rockaway Blvd between Beasley Blvd and JFK). Would it be a good idea to use public transportation during regular business hours to get to and from work (bus Q6) with a transfer at Jamaica Station (let's say J/M/Z) inbetween?
That area isnt too bad. The real rough patch is along sutphin blvd from liberty to rockaway. Just be aware. Its pretty desolate once you get to the rockaway side. The BLVD you are talkng about is Baisley Boulevard. there are a couple of transportation options:

Train to Jamaica (E/J/Z, depending on where you are coming from. ) it can take 30-60 minutes. Or you can take the LIRR to jamaica station from midtown or brooklyn saving about 20 minutes. Then you still have to get the Q6. The q6 can be unreliable and crush loaded at times. Other option is the LIRR to Locust Manor Station. Drops you at Farmers and Bedell street, you can catch the Q3 to rockaway boulevard (not sure exactly where the office is) or Q85 up to baisley. OR you can take the QM21 or X63 express bus to/from midtown get off at linden and sutphin and continue your trip on the q6.. or you can take the A to rockaway boulevard and take the Q7... plenty of options.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:16 PM

175 posts, read 549,975 times
NYC is much more crowded than most cities, and also much more diverse. This scares people who are not used to these things. If you're from the midwest, and have only been around white people, riding a typical NYC subway can be a scary experience. that doesn't mean it's a dangerous place, just that it can be uncomfortable for people who are not used to it.

There is also a tremendous amount of panhandling in NYC. More than anywhere I can think of, except Montreal. I don't understand why the subways don't enforce the rules against constant panhandling. Maybe Fred can comment.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:24 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,946,770 times
Re: the panhandling - It's FAR worse in San Francisco!

Old 07-20-2008, 01:44 PM
TCR

10 posts, read 52,256 times
Don't forget NYC had terrible violent crime record less than two decades ago. That image is difficult for people to get out of their heads, I think.

Also, think about all of the people from suburbs or towns who might not have a lot of exposure to big cities but want to see (or live in) the "Big Apple." If NYC is your first urban experience, sure, it will be intimidating and probably frightening.

New Yorkers in their defensive habits also act like they're constantly on the verge of being attacked, which I don't think does much to help change the rep about crime. I am much more on guard in NYC than DC, for example -- which basically makes no sense. I suspect it is both because of the sheer number of people and the residual (culture-changing) effects of crime in the '70s and '80s.

And I agree with Viralmd: WAY more panhandlers in San Francisco. Yet people don't act like they're going to be mugged/shot all the time like they do in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: