Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 01:33 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,985,533 times

Advertisements

Um, it's simple to rent for about $1,200 in nice neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 10:23 PM

904 posts, read 2,873,608 times
I posted something like this in another forum. I've lived in NYC and Chicago, and I've visited LA.

If you can afford NYC, I say, go for it. It's unlike any other place in the country. But be forewarned - if you are basing your perceptions of NYC on, say, Friends, you will be for a rude awakening. New York is a wonderful place and hands-down the greatest city in the country. But you have to be realistic about it. You're gonna need roommates. Urban planning doesn't pay much, so you're also gonna have to live in a so-so apartment in a so-so neighborhood, probably. Now, even the so-so neighborhoods in NYC can be cool, in their own way, but if you're not used to the urban lifestyle, I'd do some serious research before making that jump. New York is great, but you have to manage your expectations and be willing to make some sacrifices.

Chicago could be a more realistic option for you. It's considerably cheaper, friendlier, and smaller (though still huge compared to Omaha). It's a bit more accessible, which can be a good thing. It doesn't quite offer as much as NYC, but it's not too far off the mark. I always think of what a poster on the Chicago forum said - the difference between NYC and Chicago is like the difference between having 700 Italian restaurants and 300. It's true. Chicago doesn't have quite the same "center of the world" vibe that New York has, but it's got it's own thing going on, and you won't be lacking for stimulation in either place.

Now, LA I don't know much about. I was there for a few days, so I'll throw out a couple observations based on that and conversations with people, but take 'em with a grain of salt. First, you better really like driving, and not mind traffic. Second, it seems to me that you have to be a certain kind of person to like LA - you gotta be into the whole SoCal thing, beaches, and movies, and freeways, and sun. I could see how some people like it, but it's not really my cup of tea. If living the urban experience is your goal, I'm not sure LA would fit the bill.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:22 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
As neonwattagelimit said, it's all about managing expectations. Recent grads, when they imagine living in New York City, don't imagine living in Woodside or Sunnyside, Queens. There's nothing wrong with Woodside. I have a number of friends who live there and I was offered a descent one-bedroom in Sunnyside for $1,500. In the end, I decided that it was too much money for an area I didn't really want to be in in the first place.

My original post about Minneapolis may have been unclear. It certainly was the best neighborhood in town (Walter Mondale lived a couple of blocks away) but, more important to a New York comparison, it was centrally located. "Nice" is a relative term; "central" is not. When people think about "nice" in New York they tend to also think "central."

Old 08-07-2008, 09:43 AM

403 posts, read 1,394,623 times
I truly believe that living in specified areas qualifies an individual to comment and review the lifestyles of different cities. Having lived in both Los Angeles and New York let me take a moment to offer my point of view.

I should start by saying that one's perception will be entirely shaped around their priorities. NYC and LA couldn't be more different. THEY ARE NOT A LIKE AT ALL. These two cities draw comparisons only in relation to market size, and their respective place within it: numbers one and two. Beyond that, lifestyles reside at opposite ends of the spectrum.

If you are looking for a big city experience, as mentioned in the original post, LA would not be my recommendation. Although statically big, LA does not have any of the definable characteristics we tend to associate with "city living". Los Angeles is more of a giant suburb with several, smaller centers. Santa Monica is the closest area to an urban atmosphere. Personally, I enjoy big cities, and therefore find NYC to be the only option. It is the biggest, most influential city in the USA, and one of the most culturally dominate cities of the world. It is considered part of the "top three", (London, New York, Tokyo), and is arguably the unofficial capitol of the world. (After all, the world's oldest and largest free market and the UN are headquartered in NY). These factors bring a distinct, international and sophisticated angle to NYC that is simply nonexistent in LA. Again, having lived in both cities (currently in NYC) I feel qualified to answer this question. One edge LA does have.... better weather. People move to New York to better themselves through educational, financial or business opportunities. People move to LA because it's sunny.

In my opinion, take the plunge and go for NY. Life here is much more exciting. Do well and vacation in Hawaii.

Last edited by adambos; 08-07-2008 at 10:08 AM..

Old 08-14-2008, 01:54 AM

14 posts, read 56,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars144 View Post
Hi i live in Omaha Nebraska and want to live in one of the 3 big cities but dont know which one? Anyway i am a colleage student grad and is looking for a permanent job and life in these cities. My master is City planner/Urban developer.
If you are a quality candidate, you will find a position in any three of these cities. You have already read the previous comments. So, now you need to decide what your goals and priorities are. What type of lifestyle do you plan to lead? Logistical side: Can you afford to live that lifestyle?

Manhattan is Manhattan and there is a neighborhood for every type of person in Manhattan, except for an Angelino. Why? An Angelino lives a completely different lifestyle than a Manhattanite. Where do you get your energy from? Do you get that energy from being at the center of world in Manhattan? Or do you get that energy from being at the beach in L.A.? Neither answer is right or wrong. The only right answer for you is the one that makes the most sense for you as an individual.

Of course, the center of the world versus the beach shouldn't be the only or most important question. How about community and social environment. How do you like to interact with people and what type of social environment suits you best? L.A. can be a nice place to live to the extent that you make all the necessary connections to live a good life there. What does that mean? If you can find a way in L.A. to interact with people who you want to be around and manage to create a good social environment for yourself, then you can possibly enjoy your life in L.A. However, Manhattan doesn't wait for people to create a social environment. Manhattan is the cultural and social capital of the world. If you want to live in a more established and easily accessible social and cultural environment, then Manhattan is your choice.

What some people like about L.A. is that you can often find nothing to do and no one to interact with. However, what some people like about Manhattan is that something to do will always find you and someone to interact with will also find you. These behaviors are contagious. When you isolate yourself, you live an isolated life. However, when you are integrated, you live an integrated life. What kind of a lifestyle do you hope to live? Are you a people's person? Or are you more reclusive? These questions and statements should help guide you to reach a better understanding of what you want out of life and how that relates to where you should live this precious life.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:53 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,985,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphabetCityNYC View Post
If you are a quality candidate, you will find a position in any three of these cities. You have already read the previous comments. So, now you need to decide what your goals and priorities are. What type of lifestyle do you plan to lead? Logistical side: Can you afford to live that lifestyle?

Manhattan is Manhattan and there is a neighborhood for every type of person in Manhattan, except for an Angelino. Why? An Angelino lives a completely different lifestyle than a Manhattanite. Where do you get your energy from? Do you get that energy from being at the center of world in Manhattan? Or do you get that energy from being at the beach in L.A.? Neither answer is right or wrong. The only right answer for you is the one that makes the most sense for you as an individual.

Of course, the center of the world versus the beach shouldn't be the only or most important question. How about community and social environment. How do you like to interact with people and what type of social environment suits you best? L.A. can be a nice place to live to the extent that you make all the necessary connections to live a good life there. What does that mean? If you can find a way in L.A. to interact with people who you want to be around and manage to create a good social environment for yourself, then you can possibly enjoy your life in L.A. However, Manhattan doesn't wait for people to create a social environment. Manhattan is the cultural and social capital of the world. If you want to live in a more established and easily accessible social and cultural environment, then Manhattan is your choice.

What some people like about L.A. is that you can often find nothing to do and no one to interact with. However, what some people like about Manhattan is that something to do will always find you and someone to interact with will also find you. These behaviors are contagious. When you isolate yourself, you live an isolated life. However, when you are integrated, you live an integrated life. What kind of a lifestyle do you hope to live? Are you a people's person? Or are you more reclusive? These questions and statements should help guide you to reach a better understanding of what you want out of life and how that relates to where you should live this precious life.
Why are you only talking about Manhattan? There is more to New York City, you know.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:49 AM

1,302 posts, read 4,574,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambos View Post
I truly believe that living in specified areas qualifies an individual to comment and review the lifestyles of different cities. Having lived in both Los Angeles and New York let me take a moment to offer my point of view.

I should start by saying that one's perception will be entirely shaped around their priorities. NYC and LA couldn't be more different. THEY ARE NOT A LIKE AT ALL. These two cities draw comparisons only in relation to market size, and their respective place within it: numbers one and two. Beyond that, lifestyles reside at opposite ends of the spectrum.

If you are looking for a big city experience, as mentioned in the original post, LA would not be my recommendation. Although statically big, LA does not have any of the definable characteristics we tend to associate with "city living". Los Angeles is more of a giant suburb with several, smaller centers. Santa Monica is the closest area to an urban atmosphere. Personally, I enjoy big cities, and therefore find NYC to be the only option. It is the biggest, most influential city in the USA, and one of the most culturally dominate cities of the world. It is considered part of the "top three", (London, New York, Tokyo), and is arguably the unofficial capitol of the world. (After all, the world's oldest and largest free market and the UN are headquartered in NY). These factors bring a distinct, international and sophisticated angle to NYC that is simply nonexistent in LA. Again, having lived in both cities (currently in NYC) I feel qualified to answer this question. One edge LA does have.... better weather. People move to New York to better themselves through educational, financial or business opportunities. People move to LA because it's sunny.

In my opinion, take the plunge and go for NY. Life here is much more exciting. Do well and vacation in Hawaii.

"top three", (London, New York, Tokyo)". What about Hong Kong???

Old 08-17-2008, 01:19 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
If you want to be technical, Hong Kong isn't a city. It's the name of a territory, whose two major cities are Victoria and Kowloon. But I know what you meant.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:18 PM

629 posts, read 901,611 times
LOL LOL LOL, $ 1000 + sq ft is CHEAP! Some of u NY'ers are so out or touch with reality. Chicago does have real estate more expensive than that too. $ 15,000.00, a sq ft, would = 15 million for 1000 sq ft. If NYC, does have property that expensive, there aint many. They would be far and few between.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:25 PM

629 posts, read 901,611 times
Ive spent time in Omoha. What really surprised me about the place, were the nice suburbs that were west of the city. I couldnt believe of all the $ that was there. You'd never think it, after looking at Omaha's downtown. I remember being in a mall there. The one that deranged kid went on a shooting rampage. That store that he did it in, was one of the nicest, most high DEPARTMENT stores that I had ever seen. The suburbs there really did surprise me. Im not going to comment on the OVER HYPED statement. Other people can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City