Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 01:13 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rock View Post
1. You are confusing "middle of the road" with "middle class".
2. "Middle class" is not some small midwestern ideal. There are plenty of people on the coasts (Boston, DC, Miami, SF, LA, etc.) who are "middle class".
Oh I get it. So those of us who make 75-250k are practically impoverished then? Makes a WHOLE lot of sense!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 01:16 PM

3 posts, read 13,956 times
I just had to chime in. Ace Rock is correct.

Some of you just don't get it because you haven't lived that $500,000 lifestyle. To you now, yes $500,000 is RICH because compared to your salary it's a lot, but once you're on that level you expect certain things, you don't expect to be renting a tiny crappy 1,000 sq foot apartment and to shop frugally.

My family moved from Houston to Manhattan. My parents earn around $800,000 per year, but the family does not live anywhere as "luxurious" as we did when we were in Houston, TX. In fact, they feel poor because of tuition, housing prices, etc.

Let's remember, the average price of a Manhattan apartment is, what $1,700,000? The tuition for schools seems much higher here too. Not to mention, it does indeed seem like everyone south of 96th street earn $150,000+ and it feels like there is a mind boggling amount of people earning millions a year in Manhattan which makes you feel even poorer than you really are.

In Texas we had four nice cars, a huge home, went on vacations frequently, went shopping a lot, went out to eat a lot and my parents say they felt like they had a lot left over.

In New York they have the huge mortgage + have to pay high common charges, etc. they have two cars, pay for the garaging, like to eat out (definately more expensive here), love to shop (more high end, more $$ and tempting here), love to enjoy NYC entertainment ($), but as amazing New York is, in terms of "stuff" the family has downgraded A LOT. They don't have the financial freedom they did before they lived in New York.

So yes, compared to other cities in the country, $500,000 is definitely middle class in Manhattan.

Last edited by princeny; 08-18-2008 at 01:24 PM..

Old 08-18-2008, 01:26 PM

For some reason, I just can't relate to this thread. Once again, it seems we are having a bragging showdown. What is up with NYC? For real? Is it all about the materialistic things over here? I've seen the bentley's...I see the super wealthy lawyers etc. But when am I ever going to see some happiness? LOL. Yeah, people are rich here, but they are MISERABLE! They can't find love...or husbands or wives...they are unable to have children...they are so FILTHY rich that they have to resort to recreational drugs to even make them FEEL the simple things in life. God, I'm NOT jealous. Is this the city of insecurities or what?????

Old 08-18-2008, 01:27 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,673,266 times
Your post is all about how you and your family "feel." You can feel as poor as you want. I simply don't care that you feel less affluent here because there is a higher concentration of rich people; you should be clued in that rich people tend to concentrate in certain areas and Manhatan is one of them. If you want to be the big fish in a small pond, you are in the wrong place. You are now a big fish in a big pond and it seems like you are somehow intimidated by how much some of those other big fish earn. And you call a 1000 square foot apartment "tiny" ?!? There are plenty of people living in Park Avenue / Champs Élysée grandeur who live in 2 bedroom / 2 bathroom apartments of that size. Do you really need five SUV's and a 10,000 square foot mansion outside of car-centric sprawltacular Houston to feel rich? If your parents don't have financial freedom on a gargantuan $800,000 per year salary, they are either overextending themslves or making some kind of poor financial decisions. I know people living on $100,000 who live VERY comfortably in the East Side of Manhattan. Call yourself run-of-the mill rich but don't call yourself middle class; it's just being dishonest to yourself and to others.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:31 PM

31 posts, read 159,594 times
$500k a year as in the salary? Oh that's plenty to live in New York, as long as you don't rent a penthouse that requires you to pay at least 12K a month and buy the Hampton summer share and buy a $2000 Prada bag every two weeks.

It also depends on the family number. If you're talking about supporting two kids that go to private schools, paying mortgages and sending them to private tutors then no, 500K is not going to get you lavish lifestyle but single person or a young couple you can definitely get a nice enough life in Manhattan with those money.

I also like to point out a common stereotype: people in NY or in Manhattan don't live like we're vacationing in Las Vegas, we don't go out dining every night or throwing parties three times a week. Unless you're some figure head or socialite wannabe, most adults who are after college life don't live like it's Spring Break 1992.

Last edited by CarlaB; 08-18-2008 at 01:39 PM..

Old 08-18-2008, 01:35 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
The standard definitions of middle class do not apply in heavy urban areas. A house with a yard, a car, etc, are replaced by a condo and enough money to cab instead of bus or subway with your kids. It's silly to compare.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:43 PM

Exactly. I would gladly take a 1000 square foot condo in the Upper East Side over some cookie-cutter mansion with five SUV's 30 miles outside of Atlanta. I certainly feel like hiring taxis and car services to drive you around (while talking on the phone, eating, talking to a friend, doing what you want) is more characteristic of being wealthy than having to drive yourself while wasting time that could be better spent on other things. And no, middle class people largely do NOT send their kids to prestigious private schools in Manhattan; it is RICH parents who can afford the sky high tuition bills. Middle class people live in the suburbs or outer boroughs, almost always dine at home, and send their kids to public schools (or to inexpensive parochial schools). It's really interesting and kind of sad that some of these people with mega salaries can't accept that they are wealthy and need to delude themselves into thinking that they are "middle class."

Old 08-18-2008, 02:44 PM

943 posts, read 4,259,199 times
For whatever reason people are thinking of that salary only in terms of the wealthy part of Manhattan (below the 100's) 500 gs would make you wealthy in the other half of Manhattan (10 years from now may be a different story). Whether you want to live there or not is your decision, but it is Manhattan too. I would say 500,000 is definitely upper middle class when you average all of Manhattan.

Last edited by ogplife; 08-18-2008 at 04:07 PM..

Old 08-18-2008, 03:03 PM

Nope. I am talking about below 96th Street. I know single people living extremely comfortable lifestyles on less than $100,000 in Murray Hill and the Upper East Side. $500,000 per year makes you wealthy anywhere in the world, even in Sutton Place, Tribeca, Beverly Hills, or Notting Hill, London. These places are not filled with the middle class.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Nope. I am talking about below 96th Street. I know single people living extremely comfortable lifestyles on less than $100,000 in Murray Hill and the Upper East Side. $500,000 per year makes you wealthy anywhere in the world, even in Sutton Place, Tribeca, Beverly Hills, or Notting Hill, London. These places are not filled with the middle class.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City