Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 07:02 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,099,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Bedbugs have made a huge resurgence just in the past 4 years or so. I've never gotten them either, but I'm aware enough to know they are a huge problem in every major city, NYC included, and they are in wooden subway benches, taxis, hospitals, schools etc. I may be lucky enough not to ever sit in a taxi or bus or theatre that's infested, but I also know enough to educate myself and not close my eyes to the facts.

And btw, I never sit on those wooden benches in the subway anymore after reading that article last year and subsequently riding the train at 3am to come home from a party and seeing that those benches ARE people's beds during the nighttime hours. And a few weeks later seeing a guy stretched out on one of the benches in the Delancey St station scratching like crazy.

I'll stick to awareness and education on this issue!! Other people may want to self-educate as well on the proper websites, as the city is not bothering to educate us on this problem.

i need to stop reading this thread lol

so you can sit in a taxi, or on a bench and then "carry" the bed bugs back to your home! yuck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 08:56 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,574,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
That's a good way to touch off a panic needlessly. Bedbugs prefer warm, cozy environments like...say...beds! Hard wooden benches aren't the kinds of places they enjoy hanging around.
Fred, I understand your defence of the subway benches, but I've got to tell you, the NYC bedbugs are as resilient as the citizens of the city.

Under ideal circumstances we'd all like warm, cozy - but when push comes to shove those bugs will settle for a subway bench anyday. Also as another poster pointed out, the benches are frequently the resting places at night of individuals who sometimes use them as a bedroom, bathroom, dressing area. It's an NYC fact of life. There's no pandemonium intended here but one should know the facts and make their own judgment call before sitting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City