Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 02:50 PM

536 posts, read 2,349,130 times

Advertisements

I don't know about bags, but I always find it funny when I see someone walking down the street rocking Jordans in colors that don't even exist....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 02:59 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,985,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysocks View Post
I don't know about bags, but I always find it funny when I see someone walking down the street rocking Jordans in colors that don't even exist....
Now I know I'm not the only one who laughs at this, same thing with Bapes..

Old 11-17-2008, 03:10 PM

44 posts, read 154,165 times
wuts the difference if the fake sneakers are made in china and the real sneakers are made in china?

Old 11-17-2008, 04:00 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,574,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xian791 View Post
wuts the difference if the fake sneakers are made in china and the real sneakers are made in china?
you've got a point since it seems that over there no one validates either type of product.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:00 PM

101 posts, read 300,798 times
Its amazing the number of people who claim they would never break the law, think its perfectly fine to buy a fake designer handbag:
Quote:

The truth about counterfeiting is black and white. It is illegal. And, while consumers can readily find fakes, cheap prices and availability are poor excuses for supporting illegal activity. It's as wrong to support thieves, as it is to steal. We ought to use our buying power to support legitimate, socially responsible companies developing products through creativity, research and manufacturing excellence.

We are calling all consumers to become educated about the consequences of purchasing counterfeit products. We want consumers to know counterfeiters are hardened criminals, exploiting consumers, businesses and children in sweatshops. Profits frequently support gangs, organized crime, terrorism and child labor.

Purchasing counterfeit products is not a harmless, victimless crime - our jobs, economy, health, safety and world position are at stake.
Having said that - I went with an out-of-town guest to canal st last week. Top on her list of must do - was score a couple of coach bags. I'm not going to lecture my friend but I did point out that its not exactly a victimless crime. I went with her. Up to a lady's apt (with the walkie talkie thing) she scored 3 coach bags for $100.00
What a sorry bunch of cheap crap too. I mean with another $100 she could have bought one real one.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccos View Post
Its amazing the number of people who claim they would never break the law, think its perfectly fine to buy a fake designer handbag:
And it's not a victimless crime. Think of all the legit handbag, purse, luggage, leather businesses suuffering. Think of the laid off employees and the factories shut down, of the baby crying for milk beacuse momma's leather factory was shut down on account of these fake products. Think of the 401k plans that will never be, of the unemployment lines stretching for miles, of the soup lines, and the broken marriages because a hardworking spouse could no longer bring home the bacon, of the once faithful wife who took up with a fake dealer in a third world country since her husband's legit business was shut down.

If this does not bring a tear to your eyes and a guilt to your conscience, nothing else ever will.

I urge you all to return those fake products, boycott those quickly assembled and disassembled folding tables on the street corner, support legit businesses, and go merrily home, handbag in your palms, and a smile on your face for doing the right thing.

Last edited by Moderate Guy; 11-17-2008 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-17-2008, 08:18 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Let's not forget the lost tax revenue as well, since I highly doubt that the illicit goods merchants are reporting the income and sales tax on the transactions. It's really no different than other illicit businesses, including drug dealing, since you are dealing with a criminal element who may have hostilities towards the USA. Now, who could support that in good conscience?

Anytime I take someone to Canal, I let them know that they are not supporting the fakes when I am around, but there are other shops that might be appealing to them that sell legitimate merchandise at a good price. If people want good prices and trendy, they can go to places like H&M or French Connection UK or Club Monaco. At least then you're dealing with a legitimate business that pays its taxes and stands behind its merchandise.

And, if you want Coach bags, try the outlet. Or, try Last Call Neiman Marcus for authentic goods at a good price, even checking large stores like Macy's and Bloomingdales or Lord & Taylor when they have their sales, since one can get some great bargains on legitimate goods.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Let's not forget the lost tax revenue as well, since I highly doubt that the illicit goods merchants are reporting the income and sales tax on the transactions. It's really no different than other illicit businesses, including drug dealing, since you are dealing with a criminal element who may have hostilities towards the USA. Now, who could support that in good conscience?

Anytime I take someone to Canal, I let them know that they are not supporting the fakes when I am around, but there are other shops that might be appealing to them that sell legitimate merchandise at a good price. If people want good prices and trendy, they can go to places like H&M or **** or Club Monaco. At least then you're dealing with a legitimate business that pays its taxes and stands behind its merchandise.
indeed, bmw. One can write volumes on the issue of lost tax revenues - the property and income taxes that must go up to balance a state, local, municipal budget, of the sales tax rates that must be raised on the already overtaxed, hardworking constituents. I know we two or three are like a voice crying in the wilderness but enough is enough.

Let's end this exploitation at home and abroad. When next you see that vendor beckoning you to follow him behind some back alley, or up the stairs of a darkly lit, dilapidated wooden structure, remember you are risking not only your own lives but jeopordizing the livelihoods of millions.

Last edited by Moderate Guy; 11-17-2008 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-17-2008, 08:34 PM

468 posts, read 2,358,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
And it's not a victimless crime. Think of all the legit handbag, purse, luggage, leather businesses suuffering. Think of the laid off employees and the factories shut down, of the baby crying for milk beacuse momma's leather factory was shut down on account of these fake products...
I can see this argument for some of the brands that still use unionized Italian garment workers, but in 2008, real Coach and Burberry bags are made by little girls in sweatshops in China anyway.

"Legitimate" businesses move production overseas to cheaper markets with less labor and environmental regulations and screw over their workers too. Unfortunately the counterfeiting laws are protecting the profits of those companies. They're not necessarily protecting workers.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:26 PM

133 posts, read 419,379 times
I don't understand all the rage in buying knockoff purses, they ALL look extremely fake and tacky. Not to mention the fact that these purses are sold so cheap because they are using slave and child labors in Asia, by buying these not only do you support this and put money into the Chinese and Yakuza mafia's pockets you also get to look tacky while doing this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City