Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 07:05 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
Because, you may think it is better to be educated, but it's still your decision to make, and the government shouldn't have control over such things. Maybe you believe school is completely worthless, and you should read your own books, and learn your own things, etc.
I think New Gingrich partly adopts this idea. According to him, If you are good and smart enough to finish school by age 15, you shouldn't have to go anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 07:52 AM

46 posts, read 254,004 times
Good luck. The schools are awful, especially in brooklyn. The specialized high schools are hard to get into. Staten island has good high schools. I went to an all boys catholic hs in brooklyn. It is not as great as it once was. There are lots of variables here like your race and what kinda stuff you're into.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:25 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1281west View Post
We are moving to NYC next summer and have a daughter who will be a junior in high school. She will try to get into an art specialized public high school, but if she's not accepted, we need to have options. Our research has found that there are no "zoned" public high schools in Manhattan - is this true? If not, are the specific areas we should try to rent in the city? If it is true, any recommendations of areas in Brooklyn that have good public schools? We can spend around $3,500/month in rent.
Well there used to be zoned schools in Manhattan when I went to school. They were Brandeis and George Washington, and I believe like two or three other ones. But with a lot of these schools being broken up, all this might have changed. There have been a lot of changes in the last 6 to 7 years.

But in any case, you usually don't want your kids going to the zoned schools. There are exceptions but most of the time zoned schools are not so great.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
I think New Gingrich partly adopts this idea. According to him, If you are good and smart enough to finish school by age 15, you shouldn't have to go anymore.
I read somewhere that they are thinking in Jersey about offering the option of kids finishing high school like by 16 if they want.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I read somewhere that they are thinking in Jersey about offering the option of kids finishing high school like by 16 if they want.
Correction, it's actually in New Hampshire, and here is an article about it. This is something that should be given some consideration in NYC.

Education Examiner: New Hampshire plans to trim high school to two years (http://www.examiner.com/x-673-Education-Examiner~y2008m11d7-New-Hampshire-plans-to-trim-high-school-to-two-years - broken link)

Old 11-17-2008, 09:31 AM

5 posts, read 14,778 times
It's sad to say, but we figure we can't get too much worse than Georgia schools. They are ranked #40 something nationally... Coming from the midwest where schools are excellent.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:22 AM

12 posts, read 34,304 times
Talent Unlimited High School would be a great school in regards to arts program (academics as well). lol!! They're the rival school to LaGuardia.

Here's their website: http://sites.google.com/site/talentunlimitedhs/

I myself attended Talent Unlimited as so many friends of mine. They offer drama, musical theatre, Art, dance, band and vocal (chorus) instruction.

I was in the vocal program. I never pursued music professionally due to falling ill, but so many others have "made it" in the biz or have done something musically. Listing below:

Chauncey Hawkins a.k.a. "Loon"

Tamara George a.k.a. "TAJ" SWV and I Married a Baller (T.V. Show)

Donte Smith a.k.a. Mos Def (rapper)

Malik Yoba Graduated in 89

Linnie Belcher - In the female group Allure.

Corey Glover was in the funk metal band - Living Colour.

Gene Anthony Ray (Leroy of Fame) - R.I.P.

Malcolm Goodwin - "Longshots", "St. Anna's", "American Gangsta" "Leatherheads"

The drummers with the buckets are Larry and J.R.

Joseph "Jim Jones" Jones - DipSet/Birdgang

Anthony Marshall (Lyricists Lounge)

Tahu Aponte' aka Deemi (singer)

Sobe Bailey - "A BRONX TALE" (he played the main character's brother)

Lawrence Fishburn (Actor)

Doug E. Fresh

Ron Jones (Philadelphia 76ers)

I also provided you with the link in regards to academic accolades: http://sites.google.com/site/talentunlimitedhs/Home/community-school/why-tu/upcoming-events/performing-arts/academics/tu-staff/tu-students/testimonials/accolades

Wish you the best of luck in your search.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 11-18-2008, 05:28 AM

46 posts, read 254,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWaterfall View Post
Talent Unlimited High School would be a great school in regards to arts program (academics as well). lol!! They're the rival school to LaGuardia.

Here's their website: http://sites.google.com/site/talentunlimitedhs/

I myself attended Talent Unlimited as so many friends of mine. They offer drama, musical theatre, Art, dance, band and vocal (chorus) instruction.

I was in the vocal program. I never pursued music professionally due to falling ill, but so many others have "made it" in the biz or have done something musically. Listing below:

Chauncey Hawkins a.k.a. "Loon"

Tamara George a.k.a. "TAJ" SWV and I Married a Baller (T.V. Show)

Donte Smith a.k.a. Mos Def (rapper)

Malik Yoba Graduated in 89

Linnie Belcher - In the female group Allure.

Corey Glover was in the funk metal band - Living Colour.

Gene Anthony Ray (Leroy of Fame) - R.I.P.

Malcolm Goodwin - "Longshots", "St. Anna's", "American Gangsta" "Leatherheads"

The drummers with the buckets are Larry and J.R.

Joseph "Jim Jones" Jones - DipSet/Birdgang

Anthony Marshall (Lyricists Lounge)

Tahu Aponte' aka Deemi (singer)

Sobe Bailey - "A BRONX TALE" (he played the main character's brother)

Lawrence Fishburn (Actor)

Doug E. Fresh

Ron Jones (Philadelphia 76ers)

I also provided you with the link in regards to academic accolades: http://sites.google.com/site/talentunlimitedhs/Home/community-school/why-tu/upcoming-events/performing-arts/academics/tu-staff/tu-students/testimonials/accolades

Wish you the best of luck in your search.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
I wouldn't want to go to school with any of those people. You put together a list of black rappers,athletes,and comedians.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:53 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,985,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italian23 View Post
I wouldn't want to go to school with any of those people. You put together a list of black rappers,athletes,and comedians.
What's wrong with any of those things?

Old 11-18-2008, 08:09 AM

12 posts, read 34,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italian23 View Post

It saddens me how people still think in this day and age. GOD BLESS YOU!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: