Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 02:39 AM

19 posts, read 58,471 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be moving to NYC around June next year with work, and could really use some advice as to where to look for rental property (since, other than the obvious touristy spots, I've seen very little of New York). Here are the facts (in some vague order of priority):

- Looking for a 1bed (not studio) for up to $2000/month
- 30yr old white male (married, but wife will live in Boston - more on that later...)
- Looking for an area with an young professional feel to it, and decent bars and restaurants. For those that know London, I currently live in Fulham/Parson's Green, and I'm looking for something similar. I guess many would call me a yuppie - think loafers and collared shirts.
- Enough room in the living room for a foldout sofa/double bed (for the occasional guests)
- I'll be working near 49th St and 7th Ave in Manhattan, and want to be less than a 45 min commute, door to door
- Walking distance to somewhere serving a decent range of ales would be a definite plus, I'm definitely going to miss "real" beer when I leave the UK
- Green space nearby would be a positive
- Ease of travel to Boston, since I'll be heading there most weekends (note this is lowest on the priority list)

So, now that I've alienated everyone with my talk of yuppies and ale, where would people recommend?

On a separate note, as mentioned above my wife will be moving to the US as well, but will be based in Boston because of work, so I'll be commuting up there most weekends. I'm thinking that maybe a motorbike is the easiest way for me to do this - is this realistic or do I need to bite the bullet and put up with the horrendous air/train fare?

Thanks in advance for any help - this forum has already proved to be a real gold mine (I've got a few areas in mind from other questions on the forum, but don't want to skew the debate before I've heard what others have to say )...

Andrew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 04:53 AM

13 posts, read 36,354 times
If you want to be in Manhattan your best bet in that price range is the Upper East Side but east of lexington Ave (West of Lex is much more expensive). You might be able to get a one bedroom in a walk up building, but definitely not a doorman building. The UES has plently of young professionals, bars, restaurants and is close to central park. If a larger apartment is more important than I think you need to consider Queens, such as Astoria, which is not so yuppie but meets your criteria in the other areas.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:40 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,299,615 times
It's over 200 miles from NYC to Boston and about a four-hour drive. It might be a fun drive on a motorbike in the summer, but you'll be quite miserable in the winter. We get much more snow than the UK and it can be very dangerous to ride a motorbike.

You might consider getting a Zipcar (Zipcar - Car sharing, cars by the hour or day) membership. It's a service that allows you to rent a car by the hour or the day. There are lots of different rental plans available. Best of all, gas and tolls are included.

There are also very cheap busses to Boston. Known as the "Chinatown Busses" (there are many different companies), you can sometimes get a one-way ticket for $15.

Regarding the apartment, a lot of studios in Manhattan cost around $1,800 to $2,000 a month. I wouldn't bother choosing a neighborhood first (although the Upper East Side isn't a bad option because it tends to be cheaper). On that budget you need to search by price, not location (as you're not going to have many choices for a true one-bedroom in that price range).

Old 11-19-2008, 08:47 AM

551 posts, read 1,576,689 times
Given your work location, you might consider Hells Kitchen, from which you could walk to work in 20 minutes or less. Also, be aware that bars in NY often have a quite broad beer selection, even some of those bitter british potions. I am sure that you will find something suitable.

The train ride to Boston is really not that bad, although as an every weekend trip it will get costly (somewhere around $175). A motorbike sounds like a fun idea in theory, but a horrible idea in practice. The drive to Boston is 4.5 hours, and traffic on I-95 through Connecticut can be horrible. A 5+ hour ride on your bike to spend 30 hours in Boston does not sound real appealing. A few 5+ hours on your bike in the dark of winter when it is 10 degrees and snowing sounds down right aweful.

There also are bus services to Boston that range from the seriously no-frills Chinatown specials (about $25 each way) to luxury coaches with fully reclining seats. The latter is actually quite pleasant.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:47 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,639,724 times
Considering your needs and where you'll be working, I think the best area would be Midtown West. Overall, the area is not as nice as Midtown East, but far from a bad area. (Just a note, Midtown East is a upscale area, that's why). But MW is more affordable, more night life, great bars and restaurants. However, try to stay east of 8th avenue, otherwise you'll be further away from public transfortation. Depending on where you are, you can probably walk to work. Central Park will be a short walk away since it starts around 59th St.

In terms of size of the apartment, I recommend setting your expectations low. Manhattan is a great place to live, but not known for their spacious apartments. I think your budget is fair for a 1-bedroom, but do not expect a luxury unit. You'll probably be looking at something around 500-600sq ft. But you could get lucky!

For your commute to Boston, it is about 4hr drive from NYC. Gas prices have dropped, but should check to see if it's worth while in terms of time and expense. It is about a 50 minute flight from any airport in the vicinity. Another option is there are buses in the Chinatown area (downtown) that go to Boston for around $20 1-way. They are similar to Greyhound, but a local company. Only thing is they do not have reservations, so you have to buy a ticket there and then wait in line with everyone else. But the bright side is you can have good chinse food while your waiting!

Btw, don't worry about the beet - tons of bars where you can get imported beer!

Old 11-19-2008, 09:33 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,409,374 times
I agree in not limiting the search to any one area, since if you are looking in Manhattan for $2000 or less to be close to work, you will have some choice as to area. If you want another area such as Brooklyn Heights, that will necessitate a subway commute to work, but might put you in the range of a true 1BR or less rent for a studio, that could also be a consideration.

I agree with the others in that the motorcycle commute to Boston would get very old quickly. I-95 is terribly congested in many places, and has a great amount of truck traffic. You can avoid it by taking the Merritt Parkway in Connecticut, which prohibits trucks, but then you would stilll have to transfer to an interstate when the parkways end in Meriden, CT. For about five months of the year, this might not be a realistic commute from the weather perspective, much less the time.

One of the companies that does the bus to Boston is Megabus, which operates on your side of the pond as well. Their competitor is Bolt Bus, which is a subsidiary of Greyhound. The Chinese buses are run by smaller operators and leave from points in Lower Manhattan.

For the train, you would leave from Penn Station to go to Boston, via Amtrak. Local service is the least expensive, and Acela is the most expensive.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 11-19-2008 at 09:38 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 11-19-2008, 09:51 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,576,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
Another option is there are buses in the Chinatown area (downtown) that go to Boston for around $20 1-way. They are similar to Greyhound, but a local company. Only thing is they do not have reservations, so you have to buy a ticket there and then wait in line with everyone else. But the bright side is you can have good chinse food while your waiting!
I have heard so many not so cheerful things about the Chinatown buses. Yes, cheap, not just in price of ticket, but also in quality of experience. After a tough week working hard in a tough city like NYC, you might want to choose one of the bus services BMW mentioned where you can sit back, have the recliner seat option for a nice restful journey, close your eyes, and be somewhat assured that your bus won't end up in a ditch.

And if you really crave the Chinese food mentioned by the poster above, you can always order a take out from an establishment near the bus depot and be on your merry way to Boston to see your wife while enjoying General Tso's chicken as the bus pulls out of Manhattan.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:12 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times
I must be confused about apartment rents in Manhattan, but I thought $2000 would get you a studio, not a 600 sq foot one bedroom.

Regarding travelling to Boston, if you don't mind buses, the Greyhound buses out of Port Authority are not that expensive for weekend fares (you can check online) and are considered to be more reliable than the Chinatown buses.

Chinatown buses are extremely popular, though, so don't rule that out. I just know I've read some things about the drivers having to work hours that are too long and I have personally seen several broken down on the highway between NYC and Boston.

Also check into Bolt buses - if you buy in advance you can pay as little as $1 -- seriously. Here is a helpful article about them Jet Set, Meet the Bus Bunch - NYTimes.com

If you decide after looking at what $2000/month gets you in Manhattan, I suggest trying Astoria or even Woodside in Queens. Quick commutes to midtown and Woodside especially has pubs though is definitely not yuppie (so you might not like it).

Old 11-19-2008, 10:12 AM

201 posts, read 389,182 times
I'm going to second BoltBus. I take them every few months down to DC to visit my sister. They're a joint venture between Greyhound & Peter Pan, set up to compete with the Chinatown buses, but are MUCH nicer. Free WiFi onboard, an electric plug every 2 seats, good drivers, toilet in the back. They leave from 34th & 8th Ave for Boston, which you could walk to from work on Friday evening. They also have a frequent rider program where you get a free trip after you've taken 8. I usually pay between $18-25 each way to DC. I'd imagine Boston would be about the same.
https://www.boltbus.com/wherewetravel.aspx

Old 11-19-2008, 10:14 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times
I wanted to add that the Amtrak train is definitely more pleasant than a bus to Boston for my taste, but the very high train fares and the necessity to get to the station early to get on (vs the greyhound bus where you can pretty much just show up, buy your ticket and get on a bus within an hour) may make the bus a more viable option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City