Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 08:13 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,962,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
I would say in NYC Biology.
I have a friend with a BS in Biology from NYU and great grades but he can't get a job. To many biologist and not many jobs. He has plenty of offers in other cities but no from here. Be is now working as a lab tech in a hospital.

With degrees in science, going into teaching is their best bet. There is also a science teacher shortage in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 08:18 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,499,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
With degrees in science, going into teaching is their best bet. There is also a science teacher shortage in the city.
Yes, but you need a Masters in NYC.
If he gets a Masters, he can go to Jersey and get a nice job.
For some reason, jersey has plenty of biology jobs, just not NYC.
They offer him a job in the DC area working for NIH, and great pay, but he doesnt want to leave NYC.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:45 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,962,309 times
Getting a job as a Science teacher is probably a lot easier in NYC than NJ. There's nepotism in NJ just like on LI. It's easier to get a job in NJ as a science teacher, but still not really easy.

Also, some SD's in NJ want you to get a Masters. I don't know the time limit though. I know in NYC they make us get it in 5 years.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Getting a job as a Science teacher is probably a lot easier in NYC than NJ. There's nepotism in NJ just like on LI. It's easier to get a job in NJ as a science teacher, but still not really easy.

Also, some SD's in NJ want you to get a Masters. I don't know the time limit though. I know in NYC they make us get it in 5 years.
Oh, I wasnt talking about a job as a teacher,
I mean if you have a MS in Biology you are better off working in Jersey(non-teaching job) to NYC teacher.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:16 PM

1,729 posts, read 5,002,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Masters in Mental Health in NYC is about as useless as they come.
How can it be useless if it takes six years' of college to get it, plus NY State License and Certification? It opens lots of doors into the Mental Health Field that otherwise will be CLOSED!

Are you aware of the fact that 95% of psychotherapists are CLINICAL SOCIAL WORKERS, in this state who are also recognized an paid by ALL the Insurance Companies? Where do you get your information, Wild Style?

Old 12-08-2008, 03:19 AM

106,883 posts, read 109,133,761 times
librarian philosophy history archeology and probley everything else not related to business, engineering , law ,accounting , teaching or medicine

Old 12-08-2008, 08:04 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,263,098 times
Quote:
I was just about to make the same point. So yeah its not worthless.

I thought of one just now though. A Philosophy degree is pretty worthless, and that's pretty much anywhere. Unless you plan on becoming a professor, it is pretty much of no use in the job market. You'll have a broader way of thinking and make good conversation around the bar but it won't get you too much work, lol.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I was just about to make the same point. So yeah its not worthless.

I thought of one just now though. A Philosophy degree is pretty worthless, and that's pretty much anywhere. Unless you plan on becoming a professor, it is pretty much of no use in the job market. You'll have a broader way of thinking and make good conversation around the bar but it won't get you too much work, lol.
Yes, but a lot of people that study biology want to work in biology and not teach biology.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:29 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,263,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
Yes, but a lot of people that study biology want to work in biology and not teach biology.
Yeah but the original question was whether it was worthless and I think its hard to say its completely worthless. I guess if your to specifically ask in the context of being able to work in the biology field here in NYC, yeah then it is worthless.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Yeah but the original question was whether it was worthless and I think its hard to say its completely worthless. I guess if your to specifically ask in the context of being able to work in the biology field here in NYC, yeah then it is worthless.
Well completely worthless no, I dont think their is such a thing as completely worthless.
But a BS not a MS in Biology is almost completely worthless, since you have to have a Masters to teach in NYC.
And once you get the Masters as you have a high paying job in NJ or with NIH out side NYC. So you dicided if you want to stay in NYC with low pay or movie out of the city with a high pay. In my point is worthless. Again, only thinking about NYC,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City