Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 12:54 PM

5 posts, read 9,030 times

Advertisements

Hi! have just been offered an internship in manhattan with the legal aid society and was wondering if any one had any ideas of student/ intern housing over there? where is best to avoid?! I was looking at the New Yorker/ other educational student housing residences. Id like to stay somewhere near to shops/ bars preferably!
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 01:00 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
What is your budget? Where is your work located?

Old 12-05-2008, 02:17 PM

My work is in the lower east side of manhattan- near brooklyn bridge. I dont mind commuting a fair way if it means living in nicer area though. I'm staying from january til march- and having looked at some websites i think i need my budget for accommodation to be about $6000 in total.
Was wondering whether you think would be nicer to live near central park/ more centrally near empire state building type way or whether brooklyn is a nicer place to live?

Old 12-05-2008, 02:50 PM

When we ask about budget, we mean how much can you spend on rent/month.

Most landlords require you to make 40X your rent annually, and to have proof. You're probably better off with a furnished sublet, but they're not cheap.

You should consider Brooklyn as a good place to start looking.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:53 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,574,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevans24 View Post
Hi! have just been offered an internship in manhattan with the legal aid society and was wondering if any one had any ideas of student/ intern housing over there? where is best to avoid?! I was looking at the New Yorker/ other educational student housing residences. Id like to stay somewhere near to shops/ bars preferably!
Thanks
I know of a student housing/hostel on Amsterdam Avenue in the low 100's near to Cathedral of St. John the Divine. Will try to get the name for you. Best.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:38 PM

283 posts, read 1,072,429 times
So you're looking at $2000 a month ($6000 for three months)? If that's the case you could sublet a room in pretty much any Brooklyn neighborhood, including some pretty hip ones with super-easy commutes to the Lower East Side. Williamsburg would be a good bet, as would something on the first few stops on the F in Brooklyn (which goes directly to the LES), especially the Bergen or Carroll Street stops. These are good areas to hang out for younger folk, lots of good bars and restaurants, very safe and relatively laid back compared to Manhattan, which could be good or bad depending on your perspective. There are good areas off York and Jay Streets (the first two stops in Brooklyn) but there are also slightly rougher areas in that vicinity and you could end up in a less desirable neighborhood if you don't know the area that well when you move in. You wouldn't have too tough a time finding something in Manhattan in that price range either but it would likely be a smaller place and you might not have a total pick of your preferred 'hood.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:41 PM

Without it being a sublet, a dorm or a hostel, you're going to have a hard time finding someplace for only three months.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:21 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,336,163 times
for a short period of stay like three months why not try an extended stay hotel, or a bed and breakfast?

Old 12-05-2008, 08:58 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
I'd look for a sublet/room for rent, since the extended stay hotel can easily (very easily) require the whole budget for the three months in a month or less.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:51 AM

Thanks for all your replies. I've had a look and think I'm going to stay in student housing provided by the educational student housing -not sure if anyone has heard of them/ any views on their places? but I think it would be easier to meet people my age that way. They have housing in central manhattan, near central park or brooklyn so just have to decide between them now....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City