Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 02:04 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Dude, you sound like a 8 year old with the stuff you write. "so u want a grammy or something". That's something a kid would say. Come on bro, grow up. Everything out your mouth says so and so is racist or this person is racist, etc. All you are doing is making a fool out of yourself with your uneducated replies. You lose all credibility and no one believes you. Just stop it.
I know, right? A guy schooled me in ebonics after posting 18 times that everyone on earth is racist. I have been schooled, I truly have.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:04 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
^ u finished?

Old 03-30-2012, 02:48 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
If gentrification and displacement worked for Manhattan and other borough neighborhoods without "rehabbing" the ghetto people who made it undesirable, why shouldn't it be ok for the Bronx to wish the same gentrification results with the same technique?
Well news flash for you, it "worked" cause the other burroughs were happy to ship the poorer people of NYC to the Bronx, the next step would be to officially make it so no one below a certain income can live in NYC, so like I said, keep wishing your neighborhood gets better all on its own and let me know how that works out for you.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:47 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
I might be incorrect, but if someone thinks or even remotely inferred that I am a racist, they are completely wrong. The permanent underclass that has developed in this country over the past forty years, is comprised of whites, blacks and Hispanics.

I am originally from NY and my grandparents on both sides of the family are originally from the Bronx. I still have some relatives there. I visited there a lot as a child when the area was a safe middle class area. Since I spent a lot of time there growing up, I occasionally post on this forum.

I do not think that any single race of people "destroyed the Bronx", although I have heard something to that effect said by some older predominantly white people.

I think that Robert Moses and the Cross Bronx Expressway, were detrimental to the Bronx, as was the building of Co-op City. Also, after WWII,any white middle class people left the cities for the suburbs This was not just NYC phenomenon .

I do think that there is a very real problem in this country, in the Bronx, and in other areas. I now live out of state and in PA, I see this with many people of assorted ethnic and racial backgrounds.
About half of the Underclass here is white, the rest is everything else.
When I say "Underclass" I a referring to the acceptance of a way of life that does not include expectations of advancement and education.

I think that another approach has to be taken with this underclass. They are different from "poor people", because poor people historically did not want to continue being poor.
There is a culture that has grown around the American underclass, and I think that some people enjoy it and do not want better. I also think that our obsession with prison and punishment is excessive and sets us apart from other countries.

We need to think differently, and in terms of education, getting religion out of politics.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:04 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well news flash for you, it "worked" cause the other burroughs were happy to ship the poorer people of NYC to the Bronx, the next step would be to officially make it so no one below a certain income can live in NYC, so like I said, keep wishing your neighborhood gets better all on its own and let me know how that works out for you.
You keep on using "poor people" and "ghetto trash" interchangeably. No one is advocating the removal of poor people that take pride in their homes and don't resort to drugs and crime.

It's sad that you don't the difference between the two. I am all for keeping poor people in their homes. I support the idea of rent control, in limited uses.

I am not for keeping these neighborhoods exclusively for welfare ghetto trash that crap all over the place because they are animals.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:27 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
You keep on using "poor people" and "ghetto trash" interchangeably. No one is advocating the removal of poor people that take pride in their homes and don't resort to drugs and crime.

It's sad that you don't the difference between the two. I am all for keeping poor people in their homes. I support the idea of rent control, in limited uses.

I am not for keeping these neighborhoods exclusively for welfare ghetto trash that crap all over the place because they are animals.

Well said. Urbanlife78 does that on purpose just so you know. Just like pro-rent control advocates use the phrase "landlords wants to eliminate RC so they can throw grandma out in the street and raise the rent". LMFAO

They play on the Politically Correct bandwagon in order to get the sympathy vote from the public by using BUZZ WORDS such as: Grandma, elderly, senior citizens, poor people, blacks, hispanics, minorities, working people, middle class, the haves and haves not, etc.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:07 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post

You are right that it is two different types of people, but more often than not, the poor get lumped in with ghetto people when it comes time to push them elsewhere. The poor working class that lived in Lower Eastside wasn't able to stay when the city pushed out the "ghetto trash" they were forced to move with them.

Here is a question for hilltopjay, how would one go about making sure the working class poor aren't pushed out of their homes in the process of getting rid of the "ghetto trash?" Do you raise the rents on the working class poor, and tell them tough if they can't afford to say? Do you allow them to stay in a rent controlled apartment that is also available to anyone seeking more affordable rents?

I lump those two groups together because often times in these conversations, the working class poor are the innocent people caught in the fire. These are not "buzz words" these are real people. Why don't you go and start talking to them hilltopjay and maybe you will learn from them what needs to be done to make your community better.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:00 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
The reality is the Bronx is revitalizing NOT gentrifying. Yes there are anecdotal examples of whites moving in and buying a $500K single family brownstone, but the majority of people moving in are working/middle class people of color, and they are the ones, along with 'natives' who are changing the South Bronx. I know some of the people in the article, and they do exist, but they are a very small percentage of the population and not indicative of anything other than that the Southern Bronx is becoming more attractive and safer for a wider swath of people. And I think we can all agree on that.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/26/ny...fies.html?_r=1

Old 04-09-2012, 02:49 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,752 times
^-Gentrification has nothing do with race. It's economic. The Bronx White population is undercounted anyway due to the American obsession with the separation of Hispanic and Non-Hispanic. People are not getting displaced en mass yet but people with higher incomes then the neighborgoods they move into are coming. Gentrification in the Bronx will increase so long as the current trends stand. That trend is the desire for urban living. The reverse of what caused the decay of the Bronx and NYC in general in the first place. In fact that desire is what initial made the Bronx a highly urbanized environment to begin with (pre population loss).

Old 04-09-2012, 02:59 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
Thats funny..I think the Bronx white population, and white population of NYC in general, is OVERcounted...Italians are not "white"...Tony Soprano??? Jews are not "white"..Adam Sandler? Doesn't make sense..and when you actually count the white population (remember white is short for White Anglo Saxon Protestants aka W.A.S.P), which includes English, Germans, and Nordic populations, you realize there are less than 10% whites in NYC. The rest are all smoke and mirrors to boost the white population..if you count those other groups as white, then PRs are white too..Carlos Ponce is whiter than all of them...therefore PRs are white. Flawed logic of course, but none of it makes sense anyway.

1. Gentrification means people are being displaced, and we know that is not occuring in the Bronx.
2. Gentrification means people with higher incomes are moving into lower income areas. This is partially true, but there are substantial allotments/preferences for much of the new developments for residents of the communities.
3. Gentrification is driven by outside interests...that is not the case for the Bronx.

So I repeat, gentrifcation is NOT occuring in the Bronx. It is a revitalization driven primarily by Bronxites for Bronxites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City