Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 03:29 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,090,370 times

Advertisements

This thread was started in 2008 and a lot has changed in the interim.I heard that they closed the application process for the 2010 program early because of the budget problems and pending teacher layoffs.I also heard that there may be no program at all for 2011 or that it will be only for Special Ed.
I haven't seen this anywhere but I am an NYC teacher and this is what I've heard.

Best to check with the program before getting too excited or planning on moving to NY to get into the program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 06:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,157 times
Honestly, it's not worth applying to. Their hiring practices are totally arbitrary. I got an interview but also am contemplating not going because two of my friends applied earlier this year. One of the girls had a fairly low gpa, was a dance major (which is a total joke), and barely speaks any English (I can't understand her half of the time), and she got in, and the other was a high honors student, studied political science and environmental science, and had a ton of experience volunteering at at-risk and special-needs schools and got rejected, so go to the interview at your own risk.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:30 AM

47 posts, read 143,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikitwo8765 View Post
I was wondering if anyone could give me some more information about what it is like to be a NYC Teaching Fellow. I have been doing some research online, and I have been reading horror stories. The website makes it sounds like its a very positive experience, but being that I would be moving to the city, I want to make sure I would know what I am getting myself into. I was accepted for an interview, and am debating on whether to go. I have always been interested in teaching, but am a little apprehensive about the program given what I have read. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
My sister is in this, just finished her Masters.

Basically, you have to find a job - you're on your own for that - and she got accepted just when the large hiring freezes went into effect, so there were no job openings except in ESL and Special Education. If you can't find a job, you've just wasted your time and effort.

She found a DC-37 school in Bushwick that hired her. It's a brutal, stressful job. The kids can be very violent and many come from homes where they're basically neglected. The paraprofessionals are very often hostile and uncooperative to the teaching staff.

Also, once she got placed in a D-37 school, the Teaching Fellows program administrators tried to force her to switch her grad school; they had placed her in LIU, which has no special instruction available for DC-37, and then tried to make her go to Pace, which wasn't going to accept her LIU credits, basically forcing her to start over again after a year of work. She fought them and managed to stay in LIU and finish up on time, but it was a struggle, especially for a specialty that she had no desire to go into in the first place.

That said - she finds her current job rewarding despite the difficulties. She's been at the school she's teaching at for 3 years now, and they "promoted' her to dance teacher. She's found that she has a gift for working with difficult children, children with disabilities and autistic children (many of whom are 19 years old - not really children at all.)

That was the state of things 3 years ago when she got accepted. Not sure what the hiring situation in the city is like now.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,008 times
Hello,

Very good information on this thread. I've applied to NYCTF, and though I know this could all be moot since its a competitive program and I might not make it, I thought I'd ask anyway.

I've been accepted to Teachers College but am now realizing its very very expensive. If I was to be accepted into NYCTF could I just tell them that I'll pay for my own masters at TC if it's in the same subject matter I'm teaching? I highly doubt that they would allow that, but I thought I'd ask if anyone knows.

Also, say I'm accepted to NYCTF to teach special ed, but want to get my masters in teaching English. Would they allow me get the masters in English? (Again, probably not). Thanks to anyone who may respond.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:20 PM

81 posts, read 175,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshap10 View Post
Hello,

Very good information on this thread. I've applied to NYCTF, and though I know this could all be moot since its a competitive program and I might not make it, I thought I'd ask anyway.

I've been accepted to Teachers College but am now realizing its very very expensive. If I was to be accepted into NYCTF could I just tell them that I'll pay for my own masters at TC if it's in the same subject matter I'm teaching? I highly doubt that they would allow that, but I thought I'd ask if anyone knows.

Also, say I'm accepted to NYCTF to teach special ed, but want to get my masters in teaching English. Would they allow me get the masters in English? (Again, probably not). Thanks to anyone who may respond.
1. No, I would think that they would only let you attend a NYCTF school as the programs are designed specifically for the NYCTF program. As far as I know NYCTF does not have a partnership with Teachers College. If you are accepted, you would have to choose between the two programs.

2. If you are accepted for special ed, your license and training through NYCTF will be in special ed. It might be possible to become dual-certified if you take additional classes (on your own dime).

Old 04-12-2012, 01:30 PM

4 posts, read 7,483 times
Thank You for starting this thread.. Any follow up to what happened to the tikitwo?

Old 01-22-2015, 07:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,937 times
Excellent forum, I have been accepted for a selection interview, what should I expect besides teaching a 5 minute lesson?

Old 01-22-2015, 10:10 AM

279 posts, read 522,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko7777 View Post
Excellent forum, I have been accepted for a selection interview, what should I expect besides teaching a 5 minute lesson?
I interviewed twice for the program... Was rejected the first time and accepted the second time. I would make sure that I practiced the 5 minute lesson. It goes VERY quickly and you need to demonstrate that you can teach a concept in that time period. I was interviewed for a foreign language position and made sure I picked a subject that I could thoroughly cover and get participants for in that time period. The second big hurdle is the interview itself. You need to understand that there's a process and that process consists of YOU basically being a miracle worker. They expect you to be teaching in the worst environments in rough neighborhoods where you may very well have limited support and resources. If you understand that and answer the scenarios that they give with that in mind you should be fine. I failed the interview the first time because I didn't understand "the process". Ultimately I was given an offer to join after the second interview, but turned it down since I already had a job in a cozy office environment with minimum stress. I still teach privately in my free time and enjoy it immensely, especially since I teach who I want to teach when I want to teach them. A lot less stress involved and still very rewarding. Either way best of luck. I know of another individual who has been a teacher for over 10 years and while he enjoys the work immensely, it is very demanding and tiring.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:45 PM

110 posts, read 214,086 times
The idea is that it is recruitment for hard to staff schools. So it will be very challenging. The interview shouldn't be a major hurdle...but the next two years (or more) will be v difficult, just keep that in mind. You are fulfilling a need for the city, and in the process you have employment, and a subsidized Masters (in Education) degree- at one of their partner schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City