Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2010, 08:26 AM

215 posts, read 661,166 times

Advertisements

I'd rather avoid New York summers than New York winters. But GeorgeSpanos is right. NYC has one of the lowest standards of living for the middle class in this country, the weather (of the entire NE) is inferior to that of much of the country. It's a fantastic place to be when you're young, childless and spend most of your evenings "on the town", so to speak. But once you're married and have children and spend most of your evenings home, you realize just how inferior your quality of life is compared to the rest of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 03:50 PM

27,544 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Reasons why folks want to live in NYC so badly? Let's see...

- the only global mega-city in America

- largest and most iconic city in America

- one of the most historic cities in America

- best city park in America

- best nightlife of any city in America

- financial capital, business capital

- second largest metropolitan economy in the world, after Tokyo

- one of the most extensive public transportation systems in the world

- Statue of Liberty, Times Square, Empire State Building, Broadway, Wall Street, United Nations headquarters, future World Trade Center

- one of the largest skylines of any city in the world, more tall skyscrapers than any city except Hong Kong

- media, fashion and music hub

- attracts celebrities and billionaires

all kinds of other minor things like that.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:31 PM

172 posts, read 273,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaReSe67 View Post
I've seen a couple of threads on here with people who are from out of town who want to live in NYC so much. Let me tell you Manhattan is full of people who are not really in fact New Yorkers. Tourists, Transplants, and stupid people with money. And once you've been in New York for a decent amount of time its just like anywhere else its what your used to. I mean it'll always be my home and I wouldn't live anywhere else but its not exactly like the streets are paved with gold.
Because I'm rich and can afford it.

Good enough reason for you?

Old 02-12-2010, 03:05 PM

270 posts, read 504,315 times
I'll admit I did skip to the end without reading all of the prior posts, but doesn't New York have a really friendly atmosphere full of wonderful new people? Isn't it an epicenter for higher education full of some of the most brilliant students and teachers? Or am I just buying into the hype? If it's not really all that great, please warn me now, because I've wanted to go there.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:38 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnparker View Post
London, Hong Kong, Chicago come to mind
Not Chicago.......nope. not even close.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:24 AM

51 posts, read 170,583 times
As someone who hasn't been "from" New York in 30 years, the reasons why I dream of moving back is because of its diversity and its conveinent public transit (I hate driving). When I think of NYC though, I am thinking of Brooklyn and not Manhattan. Manhattan is a great place to hang out but Brooklyn is where I would love to live. My background is West Indian and I am pretty sure Brooklyn has the highest concentration of West Indians (and children of West Indians) in the U.S.

Even if I'm wrong, I still dream about moving back there.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:27 AM

51 posts, read 170,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woozle View Post
I'd rather avoid New York summers than New York winters. But GeorgeSpanos is right. NYC has one of the lowest standards of living for the middle class in this country, the weather (of the entire NE) is inferior to that of much of the country. It's a fantastic place to be when you're young, childless and spend most of your evenings "on the town", so to speak. But once you're married and have children and spend most of your evenings home, you realize just how inferior your quality of life is compared to the rest of the country.

Well one can only speak for oneself.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:08 PM

961 posts, read 2,463,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slendabrn38 View Post
My background is West Indian and I am pretty sure Brooklyn has the highest concentration of West Indians (and children of West Indians) in the U.S.

Even if I'm wrong, I still dream about moving back there.
You're right absoloutely right, you learn to appreciate you're own culture and others as well, being everyone is in close proximity.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:04 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times
In a word ***TELEVISION*** !!!

Old 02-15-2010, 12:00 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
I don't have the time to read this whole thread, so I apologize if I am repeating someone. I don't live in NYC but have always wanted to. For me I love the idea of the city lifestyle. I currently live in Pittsburgh which is OK as far as cities go, but I would really love to not have a car, not have the pressure of buying a bigger house, etc. I hate waste and can't stand the idea of living in a 2500 sq ft home with 2-3 cars, etc...which is the dream everyone assumes you are going after where I live now. In NYC (or any other major city for that matter) I could happily live in a smaller condo without owning a car without social pressure to 'do better for myself'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City