Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 01:42 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times

Advertisements

I am interested in what kind of car would be desired in the New York City area. On another post regarding the New York City Car Show I was intrigued that people would have an interest in something that from what I thought wouldn't be a desired part of life. This just means that I have so much to learn about the New York City and surrounding area. If you have a car what kind is it? Do you prefer domestic cars or imports? Are exotic cars practical in an area with harsh weather? Do many people drive trucks or 4x4 SUV's or some other large truck? What is the cost to maintain, park, insure a car or truck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 01:56 PM

219 posts, read 609,058 times
You don't need or want a car in New York. In Manhattan, parking in a garage is easily $400 a month, if not $500, and street parking requires the patience of Job. Gas here in the city is what, $0.50 more per gallon than across the river in NJ. Cars, and in particular nice cars or trucks, are reserved solely for the extremely wealthy. In Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, etc. it's significantly easier and cheaper to have a car but still nowhere near necessary unless you're out by Bayside or Parkchester or something or have some kind of reverse commute. Anything nice will get dinged up very fast, either from people backing into it if you park it on the street, or the valet not caring about it if you park it in a garage. Salt and bad weather aren't good for your car's complexion either. Cheaper and easier to either use zipcar, rental cars or taxis.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:56 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,639,518 times
If you live in NYC, then you really don't need a car. One, because everything is easily accesible by walking or public transportation, and second because parking will kill you. There is very little street parking in Manhattan and with alternate side parking rules, makes it even worse. Parking lots are the option but can pay anywhere from $200-$300 a month and up. One of my previous managers (he made millions$$) once complained he was paying $1,100 a month for 3 parking spots.

In the suburbs, like Queens/Brooklyn and especially Long Island, a car is more useful and parking is a little easier but still tough in some areas. Most people will park on the street or have garages, which can run about $100 for building spots to $150 a month for parking garages.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:29 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,946,770 times
Garages in Manhattan generally start at $400/month and go up from there.

Not having a car is the perfect car for NYC.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:11 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,164,465 times
Really depends....

Manhattan and NYC region are prob least car-friendly places in US ...pothole-laced fwys in Bronx, etc as one enters island; slow fwy traffic flow even in suburbs; Winter weather; tiny, dense parking garages, so cars quickly acquire many scuffs/dings, etc etc...but any other mode of travel is far more unpleasant

Need to remember several 1000s of commuters in MidtownManhattan (and ~2000 Downtown at Goldman, Citi and Merrill) have 7 and 8-fig annual incomes, so new Mercedes S550s/garages are fairly trivial parts of overall COL in what is perhaps world's wealthiest dense urban setting

Unlike CA's ~10% inc tx rate, state income tax in CT is a puny 5%....and land (and housing) in Greenwich is some 30-70% cheaper than comparables in SiliconValley or BeverlyHills, so plenty of loose change for new S550s (or 65s) as "beater" cars to commute around region

Better Midtown office parking garages are ~$1000/mo...similar pricing as in SF's Financial Dt

Many affluent in Manhattan have a Merc S550 and driver follow them around town....will see many blk S550s idling outside the usual Midtown office bldgs in the evening, as well as outside better restaurants...the upscale taxi of choice

Old 01-07-2009, 03:16 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,639,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Garages in Manhattan generally start at $400/month and go up from there.

Not having a car is the perfect car for NYC.
For private garages probably, but you can park in parking lots for around $200 a month, but of course you don't have the same level of security or care probably.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:26 PM

274 posts, read 1,109,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I am interested in what kind of car would be desired in the New York City area. On another post regarding the New York City Car Show I was intrigued that people would have an interest in something that from what I thought wouldn't be a desired part of life. This just means that I have so much to learn about the New York City and surrounding area. If you have a car what kind is it? Do you prefer domestic cars or imports? Are exotic cars practical in an area with harsh weather? Do many people drive trucks or 4x4 SUV's or some other large truck? What is the cost to maintain, park, insure a car or truck?
Plenty of people in NYC have cars. It's just that many Manhattanites either don't need/want a car because they have access to public transpo or can't afford a car.

Don't let the vocal "I love NYC cuz I don't need a car" crowd fool you. A car beats the subway at night, weekends, and on rainy days. A car definitely beats the yellow vomit comets we call taxis.

And I'd rather be stuck in traffic than stuck between 2 homeless people in a crowded, 110 degree, broken down subway car with broken A/C.

As for what constitutes a desirable NYC car, don't get a BMW, Land Rover, Mercedes, Porsche, or Bentley. You won't be the only one on the block to have one.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:39 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,667,293 times
Zipcar

Old 01-07-2009, 04:06 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,946,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
For private garages probably, but you can park in parking lots for around $200 a month, but of course you don't have the same level of security or care probably.
The only car I'd put in an open air lot would be one which was already falling apart.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,773,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Mercedes S550 or Range Rover.

Those seem to be the car of choice....they're like the Honda Civic of Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City