Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 07:26 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,337,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrombk View Post
go 2 the nycha office and request the staten island outreach housing application.your wait time would drop significantly guaranteed.
This is true, the waiting for Staten island is much shorter, because seldom people want to live in SI. Why is that? As if SI were not the 5th borough of NYC, but not really? What's wrong with SI?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Why in the world would anyone want to attempt to "survive" on a low wage job with 4 kids? The op has been waiting 5 years to get into the program. That is amazing. Did she do anything to improve her life during that timeframe? You could have earned a degree in 5 years. You could have started a home based business in that amount of time. Just wondering why it is that so many wait for assistance when in this nation we the people can accomplish so much more on our own. In the words of JFK, ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.
Did she do anything to improve her life during that timeframe?

You are ridiculous!
Try this if you have to tare care for 4 kids!!!!!

Old 08-21-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Good point. Nearly all my students are very poor. I've had a few over the last couple years who moved to Allentown, PA. It was a good move for them.

One of my students' mothers is 25 with 5 kids. They're still living in the shelter. It's been about 6 months. He said he doesn't eat much, his mom has no job and doesn't want to find one, and he can't afford any school supplies. I just don't understand why she doesn't move to somewhere that has a lower cost of living where she doesn't have to put her children through living in a shelter. This student has some serious depression issues and he's only 6 years old.
Sorry, buy my question is:
Why does she have 5 kids?

Old 08-31-2016, 09:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rent.in.nyc View Post
This is true, the waiting for Staten island is much shorter, because seldom people want to live in SI. Why is that? As if SI were not the 5th borough of NYC, but not really? What's wrong with SI?
What's the average waiting time for Staten Island roughly speaking for N4? And for the seniors exclusive list, for different boroughs?
And how would you rank the the Bronx, Queens, and Brooklyn, im terms shortest to longest waiting time? I know now that SI comes first and Manhtatan comes last. I also know that Queens has the least housing units.
Thanks!

Last edited by Splendid7; 08-31-2016 at 09:23 PM..

Old 11-03-2016, 09:00 AM

5 posts, read 9,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendid7 View Post
What's the average waiting time for Staten Island roughly speaking for N4? And for the seniors exclusive list, for different boroughs?
And how would you rank the the Bronx, Queens, and Brooklyn, im terms shortest to longest waiting time? I know now that SI comes first and Manhtatan comes last. I also know that Queens has the least housing units.
Thanks!
I remember reading sometime ago , that the boroughs with the least waiting are .(from shortest to longest)

1.) Staten Island
2)Brooklyn
3) Queens / Bronx
4) Manhattan

Old 06-30-2017, 04:42 AM

9 posts, read 25,461 times
Angry people need to mind their business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniyasmommy View Post
Thats not the best she can do. Honestly I would NEVER opt to live in NYC with 4 young impressionable kids and in NYCHA housing projects are you kidding me? If she doesnt give a crap about her children's future SURE go on and move in the projects but I saw first hand what those projects are like. The kids are bad...the teenagers just smoke weed have sex,skip and drop out of school, curse all the time, fight all the time gang mentality thug mentality disrespectful ..No way can you shield your kid from that crap living in NYCHA housing ....Truth be told she may NEVER get into NYCHA...My counselor applied for NYCHA housing 7 years ago had two interviews and she is still on the list. I live in NYC with my 2 kids but they are babies but you better believe I will not raise my kids in NYC . I have a 3 year game plan to get the heck outta here . Also most of the housing projects only have one or 2 bedrooms...2 bedrooms with 4 kids? You dug a hole for yourself now you have to dig yourself out...Go to school get a better job and move into decent housing...You dont HAVE to live in NYCHA ...That would be my last choice. Once you move into the projects you are STUCK..Folks live there for generations and because you pay rent by income you always have a roof over your head but why would you want to live there?

why are you guys so judging of her situation she's here trying to get answers or insight not to be judge by anybody. good for you if you have it going for yourself everyone chooses to do or lice where ever they feel like it. people dont learn from other peoples mistakes but their own. so youre talking all that crap are you offering her to pay for her move to another state and also find her another job out there?

Old 06-30-2017, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms benjamin View Post
just received my certification letter telling me i am on the waiting list for my apt and when one is available they will send me a notices to let me know

did you get your apartment yet? i was wondering what is the waiting period after certified.

Old 06-30-2017, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrombk View Post
i got on the list for straus houses sometime in january or february, i just got the call to come view an apartment today. the nycha waiting list r not as long as people think, given the right circumstances
what borough is that on and how long after certified did you wait to be called to see the apartment?

thank you

Old 07-31-2017, 01:56 PM

9 posts, read 30,804 times
Hi I'm Currently in a DVD shelter with me and my two kids I applied for NYCHA in January 2017 then in February I went to the office in the Bronx to bring them all doucuments that they ask for so my status could be changed to N1 I brought the two police reports the advocacy letter and my Oder of protection they took the documents and with in a few weeks I got a letter back saying they couldn't change my status because the incident was just for one report and that I needed a second incident report meaning another police report that wouldn't be a problem I just was pissed that I had to do everything all over again so I went back to the office in April with my advocacy letter that had much more of my Dv history Three police reports and two Oder of protection one from
Family court and another from criminal that was on 4/26/17 The next day on 4/27/17 I went to the self serve portal and it said my status was changed to N1 I was so freaking happy Then I checked the self serve portal again the next day and it said I had a interview date for 5/19/17 so in my head I'm like wow this is all moving so fast 5/19/17 come I go to my interview I had all my papers in Oder what ever document she asked me for I had it the interview went well and I got certified five days later on 5/24/17 borough list of the Bronx once again I was so happy now that you all have the details I'm still waiting for NYCHA to select a development in the Bronx for me does anyone know how much longer I will have to wait oh I'm approved for a two bedroom apartment

Old 11-09-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklyngirl85 View Post
I had a interview on the 25th and this is exactly what my status is saying now. I know its been a while since you posted, but what was your outcome?

I am in the same status what was your outcome did you move yet? H9w long did it take you and what boro did you apply for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City