Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 04:33 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times

Advertisements

you might have stayed around the Italian Market District of Fordham Little Italy near Arthur Ave in the upper E 180's, a decent area filled with college kids, Italians and Albanians. However when you get over on the other side of Webster Ave off Fordham rd (where all the shopping is) in the 180's and 190's leading over to the Gr Concourse, it's drug sales city over there.

I pass thru Woodlawn to go to work every day. Probably it's Katonah Ave you are referring to that has all the Irish places, but there are many such places along McClean Avenue in Yonkers, just over the city line from Woodlawn. My section in Riverdale is like Woodlawn except Woodlawn has even more Irish then there are here(and there are plenty here).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 08:14 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,723,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
you might have stayed around the Italian Market District of Fordham Little Italy near Arthur Ave in the upper E 180's, a decent area filled with college kids, Italians and Albanians. However when you get over on the other side of Webster Ave off Fordham rd (where all the shopping is) in the 180's and 190's leading over to the Gr Concourse, it's drug sales city over there.

I pass thru Woodlawn to go to work every day. Probably it's Katonah Ave you are referring to that has all the Irish places, but there are many such places along McClean Avenue in Yonkers, just over the city line from Woodlawn. My section in Riverdale is like Woodlawn except Woodlawn has even more Irish then there are here(and there are plenty here).
Yes - it IS Katonah Ave I'm thinking of! Aha! Haven't been there but I've heard of it from word of mouth and from online pics from a photographer who took pics of all the boros, from various neighborhoods.

OK, stupid question but here it goes: A friend of mine from Rockland county told me I should avoid Woodlawn. He told me the Irish folks there really don't like out of towners and pretty much stick to their own. He said it's rough over there. Is that really true? Because a few years ago I was either in that 'hood or Riverdale at a bar on one of the main drags (I forget where) and I was fine. No problems. Where do you think I'd be better off if I wanted to spend, say, a few hours someplace where I can take in a little Irish culture (it's part of my ethnicity) and not be hastled?

Without getting into specifics, are you closer to Fieldston or are you closer toward Manhattan College?

I wish I could remember where in Fordham I was but it was years ago - like 10 years ago. My friend who I stayed with said her area was a mix of Latino and Italian.

When is this trip of yours to Derby CT anyway? If you want some culture while you're there you might wanna visit downtown New Haven. The city overall is a bit rough but downtown is awesome.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:49 AM

Default I just

want to take a road trip to the Housatonic River valley someday because I liked the Derby area when I was there in 1989 and I went to a camp in New Milford and remembered all the cool lakes they have over there

I used to live in Rockland County. It's been my experience that many from Rockland who don't cross the river much can't give an accurate story of certain places

I recently wanted to take my sister in law(who is Scotch Irish) and brother to the Rambling House restaurant on Katonah Ave when they come in to visit from Ga and i asked the board posters essentially the same question you're asking me. I was told they would welcome outsiders and would not be a problem.

Woodlawn is definitely not a rough area at all. Maybe Katonah Avenue is slightly gritty for 1 or 2 blocks but it could be because the real estate by those bars and shops is old. it's one of the safest areas in the Bronx as well as in the entire city. At night it could be rough due to drinkers coming out of the bars getting unruly. McClean Avenue, just over the line, also has numerous pubs. If you want to experience that culture, IMO it's very safe

I live on Broadway(US9) and W 252 street where the H Hudson Pkwy connects. There are a few Irish places on Broadway in the 250's and in Kingsbridge in the 230's under the #1 el train. Fieldston is the community up the hill from me in the 250's going toward the Hudson river. Mostly estates over there. Another street going up the hill from B'way is Mosholu Avenue, a street with several Irish places, including an Irish catering hall and bar(used to be Fergus', now is Molly or Kelly Ryan's or something). Manhattan College is 10 blocks south of where I live and up the hill. Both are sort of within walking distance but the hills would tire one out eventually

Old 03-10-2009, 08:25 AM

Default Woodlawn

is better for Irish Culture than Riverdale. There are more bars and authentic Irish places than in Riverdale. Those guys in Rockland may have confused Woodlawn with the area around the #4 subway terminal on Jerome Avenue--many confuse that. That area is a bit rough and there are basically no Irish left there any more. The area you are interested in is Woodlawn Heights up near Yonkers

Old 03-10-2009, 07:39 PM

Default I sometimes

have breakfast at the Cozy Corner restaurant in Yonkers just a block from the Woodlawn border, lost of natives in there, then there is Eileen's country kitchen across the street, if you can name the bar you were in I might be able to tell you where it was. I work across the Bronx River Pkwy in an area known as Wakefield by the # 2 train terminal

How far is Hartford from Waterbury? About 30 miles on I 84? In 89 I met my research partner on exit 21 (Meadow Street) in Waterbury and we drove into Windsor, i think it was 30 miles or so. After i treked back to Rockland County

Hartford is on I 91 which goes into 95 by Yale in New Haven, right? How many miles on 91 from NH to Hartford?

Old 03-10-2009, 09:03 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,723,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
have breakfast at the Cozy Corner restaurant in Yonkers just a block from the Woodlawn border, lost of natives in there, then there is Eileen's country kitchen across the street, if you can name the bar you were in I might be able to tell you where it was. I work across the Bronx River Pkwy in an area known as Wakefield by the # 2 train terminal

How far is Hartford from Waterbury? About 30 miles on I 84? In 89 I met my research partner on exit 21 (Meadow Street) in Waterbury and we drove into Windsor, i think it was 30 miles or so. After i treked back to Rockland County

Hartford is on I 91 which goes into 95 by Yale in New Haven, right? How many miles on 91 from NH to Hartford?
Yeah, Hartford is about a half hour east of Waterbury. I84 cuts through both cities.

As for New Haven, that's about a 45-50 minute drive to the capitol city. I-91 southbound to exit 1 takes you right to Yale, as well as the Union Station/Metro North which takes you into Grand Central. When 91 ends you pick up I-95 - which I think has one exit for New Haven.

If you went from Waterbury to Windsor, you probably took 84 to the 91N interchange to one of Windsor's exits - 35-41. I actually work in Windsor right now, actually.

As for the Irish pub I went to, like the Fordham experience it was years ago. I'm dying to go back to that neighborhood again. Maybe this weekend or next I'll take a little day trip down there, seeing as how St. Patrick's day is around the corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City