Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2009, 06:47 PM

4 posts, read 13,491 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am from Montgomery, Alabama, and I plan to move to NYC to attend Lehman College in the fall. Where should I live?

I was thinking about either living in Manhattan, like Marble Hill, Inwood, Washington Heights, Harlem, or Morningside, or near the school in the Bronx in Bedford Park, Riverdale, Norwood, Kingsbridge, or Fordham. What neighborhoods do you suggest?

I would like a studio or a one bedroom, preferably a one bedroom. My budget is $1000 a month or below, but I'd be willing to go to up $1200. I'm going to use public transportation to get everywhere.

I was wondering where would be the best place to live. My main concerns are transportation, safety, and price.

I was also concerned about how hard it would be to be approved for an apartment. I am moving with a friend, so we'd split the rent. She's going to pay her half herself, but my parents are paying my half. Would that cause any problems getting approved?

Also, how can I find an apartment from here? I'd like somewhere to live when I get there. I don't really want to use a broker, but I guess I will if I have to.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 07:46 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
Default well I live in Riverdale and pay $850 for a studio

it would obviously be more for a 1 BR here in Riverdale, probably less in Bedford Park. Kingsbridge, near Riverdale, is along the route of the #10 bus which goes to Lehman, and Marble Hill is not far from the 10 bus, but it's older and sketchier than Kingsbridge. You may want to check out Bedford Park which is within walking distance from Lehman, it has some nice blocks and is affordable and convenient

I have a friend in Birmingham and in fact visited there back in 98

Old 03-11-2009, 09:03 AM

791 posts, read 1,434,157 times
Default You might consider Woodlawn

Right up the #4 line from Lehmann.

Great campus, beautiful buildings. I went up there the other day to check out adult degree programs and found the staff very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City