Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 11:00 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,251,217 times

Advertisements

When I mentioned that LI is an Italian neighborhood, guess what the answer was: Not anymore...It's SI nowdays. lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 11:09 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,876,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
When I mentioned that LI is an Italian neighborhood, guess what the answer was: Not anymore...It's SI nowdays. lol!
This is true

Old 06-15-2011, 06:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,613 times
hi everyone!

yes its true Bensonhurst has been transformed from Italian to Russians now its Asians!! I cant believe myself.. as a Brooklyn girl I grew up on Bensonhurst...till moved to staten island 7 years ago.. I still going Brooklyn for visit family and friends too... they live there.. so i cant believe when I went to see my old block and I dont see anyone outside at night time during summer time.. I spk to a woman who I used live downstair from her... she told me everyone dont speak english i feel like im in chinatown of bensonhurst haha...i remember during my high school year between 1993 to 1997 there was more russians some Italian people moved away to staten island some move to Florida...then about in 2000s there are few i said about 40% asians people moved into the neighborhood italian people sold their businesses...so finally I came to Brooklyn last week pretty more often...I do see alots of asians stores..hair salon and nail store everywhere on bay parkway and 18th ave and some on 20th ave i was like oh my god I missed my old time.. sigghsss.. i love Bensonhurst with all my heart...grew up with italian people.. I took some pictures last weekend that some store has been change alots... I live in staten island alots of people from Bensonhurst i just happened to bump at the mall...

Old 12-04-2012, 02:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,570 times
When I was living in Bensonhurst the realestates agencies did not allowed anyone who was colored to live in the area. My cousin just moved to Staten Island. she said the Orientals were buying out everything in Bensonhust Over price and cash Also the people that moved next to them were very dirty attracting rodents and insects.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:26 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Yes, Bensonhurst / Bath Beach has become very Chinese. The Russians came in the 90's, but they are transient and didn't stay. The Chinese come in and buy, so they are staying. They like flowers and plants in front of their homes, and so do I, so that works for me.

A lot of signs now on 86th and Bay Parkway are in Chinese....

Every new house that is built is bought by Chinese. The best way to tell a sure fire Chinese owner is by the the ugly Stainless Steel doors they ALL install. Even if it is a four family house and there are four doors, they will be SS, but they will all be different, you would think that since they all like the SS doors, they would all try to agree get the same door on the same house so it will look uniform and nice, but no, they don't.

But I do have to say, if a bunch of Chinese teens are walking down the street, if you didn't see them, you would never hear them, they don't carry on like manics when they walk around, and that works for me too.

Al the Italian's are in Staten Island for sure.

BTW, I am not Italian

Old 12-04-2012, 12:02 PM

297 posts, read 729,676 times
I see more Asians than anyone else in Bensonhurst these days. But, I guess that has already been covered.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:10 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,297 times
Those damn asians... all they do is drive up math scores. There goes the neighbahood.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:29 PM

364 posts, read 708,415 times
Chinese are all over Brooklyn, so are Russians. They're the ones who still have money to buy properties after the financial crisis.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:32 AM

58 posts, read 179,873 times
After seeing Belmont, Little Italy and Bensonhurst, I think that Bensonhurst is actually the more original italian neighborhood left in the whole New York... maybe because is a very large area, densely inhabited by italian-american people...

Old 02-12-2015, 05:12 AM

275 posts, read 572,462 times
Nothing left in Bensonhurst from the Italian American era. Almost everything gone on 86th St.. The bakeries, pork stores, barbers, you name it. I need to get out, but I don't know where. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City