Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2009, 05:58 PM

9 posts, read 19,777 times

Advertisements

Hi, I recently interviewed with a company in the financial district. The job is going to be temporary to permanent and will be on a 6 month basis. So after 6 months I may be gone or I may get a permanent position.

I don't know how the leases work in nyc, but I was wondering are they on a yearly basis or month to month or can I just get something signed so that it would be for 6 months. I am just concerned with being out of a job then being committed to so a large rental payment.

Also background, I am going to be making between 50-60k depending on overtime. I would be working in WTC7 in the financial district. I am 22 and straight out of college. What would be a good area for a young guy. Taking into consideration how much money I will be making. I guess where are the cheap and sorta cool areas to live?

Also where do you meet people. I will be moving up to new york by myself, and I guess I am going to have to start making new friends now.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 06:27 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,851,689 times
You might try a 6-month sublet (check Craigslist) -- that wouldn't tie you into a long-term lease, and it also wouldn't tie you into a specific neighborhood. If you end up not liking the area, you have the flexibility to look elsewhere.

Best of luck with the move!

Old 04-20-2009, 07:26 PM

877 posts, read 2,770,628 times
For your situation, I would suggest trying to hook up with a roommate situation for six months in a neighborhood that you may want to live in. This may give you more flexibility and the opportunity to get to know an area and some people prior to making a lease commitment on an apartment. Working in the financial district and your age, I would think the Lower East Side, Williamsburg, Fort Greene, Prospect Heights, or Park Slope may be good areas to look into. The commute to the financial district should not be too hard from any of these neighborhoods and each one has some type of nightlife where you can meet people without having to leave the neighborhood. Astoria may also be another good fit but I don't know much about that area, so I can't say yea or nay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: