Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 02:16 AM

185 posts, read 752,062 times

Advertisements

With the upcoming transit hike, and even possible bridge tolls, Ive been considering a transfer to a NYCHA building in Manhattan (so rent cost isnt an issue)

The problem is, most developments, while they have alot of trees, they are fenced off and you cant actually sit on the grass with a lawnchair in the sun, you just stuck on the sidewalk admiring the trees instead of sitting under them

Ours in the Bronx has wide open grass and trees that aren't fenced off. Ive also seen projects in the Bronx right next to huge parks, like St Mary's Park or Crotona Park. (Like built INSIDE the huge park)

Quality of Building Maintenance is an issue,and so is neighborhood safety and convenience, as well as NYCHA vehicle parking.

Trees are an absolute must. ABSOLUTE.

So which is the best developments to consider (trees and open space are more important to me than the safety of the area, but I still wouldnt mind safety.

Walkability is also important, as well as bus/subway transfers to use my transfers within manhattan to my advantage (to travel half price everywhere) or even PATH trains nearby to use instead, and walk whenever possible.

Price of surrounding stores and fast food is also important (Hence why I could never live in NYCH by Coney Island, the corner stores are outrageous, like manhattan prices for everything.

So.... Which developments are best to get on the list for. (Doesnt matter if its a long waiting list).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 02:35 AM

185 posts, read 752,062 times
Wow, not even one nice development in Manhattan out of the hundreds? Not even in the Lower East Side? No one walks by a nice Nycha development on the way to work, or a park, accidentally stumbled into one, seen one from the bus, or train? not one fits any of the bove description? Yikes, I see I will just have to go to each by foot then over the years, but there are SO many to check..

Old 04-21-2009, 09:22 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,858,400 times
If you wouldn't mind living uptown on the East side of Manhattan. Maybe you should check out the buildings of the development in front of Mt Sinai Hospital. I have no idea what they are like inside, I also don't know the name of the development, you will have to research it. The buildings in front of Mt Sinai Hospital on Madison Ave around East 100 ST look pretty good on the outside. There are trees and flowers planted outside, and it seems pretty quiet around there.

Even if you are not permitted to sit outside there, I don't think you are, because I haven't seen people sitting outside there, you have Central Park one block over on Fifth Ave. You have several bus lines, both East side and West side subway lines nearby. You are close to the metro north, and you can take the subway or bus to connect with the PATH train, or LIRR.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:22 AM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
try general grant houses in harlem...those are actually very safe projects. been there plenty of times, night and day myself.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-21-2009, 12:09 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,552,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
If you wouldn't mind living uptown on the East side of Manhattan. Maybe you should check out the buildings of the development in front of Mt Sinai Hospital. I have no idea what they are like inside, I also don't know the name of the development...
I'll second that. The name of the development is George Washington Carver Houses. Nothing more to add in terms of transportation and Central Pk. being 1 block west.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:11 PM

Any good reason why to get out? Please don't use the "I'm a taxpayer" route.

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 04-21-2009 at 06:06 PM..

Old 04-21-2009, 02:21 PM

172 posts, read 448,008 times
why not use the "I'm a taxpayer" route, even though that's not where I was coming from? any PJ I've been in are complete dumps for the most part, but since you brought up being a taxpayer, what's wrong with getting a job and bettering your living conditions. I find it amazing that looking for a nice PJ is more important then looking within to better your lifestyle. Doesn't anyone work to better themselves anymore?

Old 04-21-2009, 02:37 PM

Start to get off the stereotype that nobody works in the projects. Really. It's an overused and clearly shows that you know nothing about them. The majority who live in there work hard. Whether they meet your expectations of working hard is another matter. There's no free pass in there. Better believe it.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:14 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,858,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 009 View Post
Start to get off the stereotype that nobody works in the projects. Really. It's an overused and clearly shows that you know nothing about them. The majority who live in there work hard. Whether they meet your expectations of working hard is another matter. There's no free pass in there. Better believe it.
Don't bother arguing. The PJ's can be a stepping stone for many. I know many fine people that lived in the PJ's for a time, while they worked hard, and went on home ownership, as they climbed the ladder of success. If my tax dollars can help people in this way, I'm ok with it.

I won't worry about the people that fit the negative stereotypes. This excuse can be used at any time, for any reason, for society not to help the poor, and working class. Check out the income limits on the NYCHA website they are pretty high now, so obviously there are quite a few working middle class NYer's that qualify now.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:07 PM

172 posts, read 448,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 009 View Post
you're kidding, right? when was the last time you were in the PJ's?
well I was a couple of nights ago, at 4am, you would have thought it was 7 at night the way the place was jumping, the elevator was out, as usual. we had to walk up the Mod cut: language and poo stairwell to the 13fl. for smoke because some drunk fell a sleep with food on the stove!

I'm not bashing the few good folk that are there because they got in a rut. work your way back up and carry on, don't beat the system and free load for generations, and if you think that's not the truth, you're delusional!

Last edited by Viralmd; 04-21-2009 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: Language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City