Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 07:05 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,668,752 times

Advertisements

Is his girlfriend going to be kicking in for rent? You won't find anything in the area of the New School for that price. I know the New School used to share dorms with Eugene Lang, and they had actual apartment dorms in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 07:23 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,202,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concord55 View Post
We have contacted the school about student housing, they have a few small dorms for students only. Since his girlfriend will be coming, that is not an option. Is the commute from Queens/Brooklyn any different than the commute from Jersey City? He will be traveling home after evening classes(approx 10 p.m.)
Thanks for the info, it is helpful.

Well, you can take a Path train from Jersey City. Its cheaper per day ($54 ad compared to $89 for the 30 day NYC metro card), and it stops directly by where a number of the buildings for this school are.

The A and C and 1 and 2 subway trains coming out of Brooklyn go by the same area, and the E coming out of Queens goes by it as well. However, these lines serve mainly mid Brooklyn and North Queens. If you lived in Bed-Stuy, towards Coney Island, Flushing, Astoria, or most of South Queens, you are going to have a bunch of walking to do, and/or switching of trains, and it will take far longer to get to the area of Manhattan you need to be in then it would form Jersey City.

If you have very easy access to the PATH train coming out of Jersey City, Id say, it may actually be a better choice for time and ease of commute/rent price, albeit, probably more dangerous choice, then Brooklyn or Queens.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:33 AM

12 posts, read 20,329 times
Thanks for the info, will check into. They will have about 1300 max just for rent

Old 07-08-2009, 07:36 AM

Extremely helpful info, appreciate your time. I certainly don't want them in danger. They are coming from App State, Boone, NC very laid back,small mountain community. This is going to be a quite a change for them. When they started looking online at Jersey City the apts looked great and the commute seemed reasonable.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:45 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,959,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I keep reading that Queens and Brooklyn are cheaper then Manhattan, but Im not seeing it. The only places I see that are generally cheaper in Queens and Brooklyn are notoriously shady areas (Crown Heights, Bed Stuy, Jamaica). Most of the higher end places in both those buroughs are not very different from average places in Midtown or the Financial District. In fact, some of Brooklyn is at levels youd expect to find in Tribeca.
They are out there, parts of Astoria are nice and the rent is under $1200. Places in NJ like West New York and Weehawken along Blvd E have places for $1000. The NJ Transit bus runs 24/7 from blvd e and it frequently runs like every 5 min. Just keep looking

Old 07-08-2009, 07:49 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,959,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concord55 View Post
Extremely helpful info, appreciate your time. I certainly don't want them in danger. They are coming from App State, Boone, NC very laid back,small mountain community. This is going to be a quite a change for them. When they started looking online at Jersey City the apts looked great and the commute seemed reasonable.
Watch out for Jersey City...if they're not a couple blocks away from the PATH you're not in a good area...not for nothing but there's violent crime occurring there like 2-3 times a week on average. There maybe be some blocks here and there where a nice condo was built but the surrounding area will be bad. Unfortunately the nice apartments around the PATH at the Exchange Place tend to be upwards of $1600 per month.

I recommend checking out the Weehawken and West New York apartments along Blvd E.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:54 AM

Again, thank you for this info. We are amazed at everyone's kindness in posting info to help us in the pursuit of a dream.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:05 AM

We will start looking into those 2 new areas, thank you! I think Jersey City is out of the picture.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:15 AM

3 posts, read 4,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I keep reading that Queens and Brooklyn are cheaper then Manhattan, but Im not seeing it. The only places I see that are generally cheaper in Queens and Brooklyn are notoriously shady areas (Crown Heights, Bed Stuy, Jamaica). Most of the higher end places in both those buroughs are not very different from average places in Midtown or the Financial District. In fact, some of Brooklyn is at levels youd expect to find in Tribeca.
Or places that are far away from the city, like bensonhurst, bay ridge, sheepshead bay. These places are better than Crown Heights, Bed Stuy, but a 40 min commute is not desirable.

It is possible to rent an apartment in Chinatown with 1300, but the apartment will not be great though. Also, living in Chinatown as a non chinese is like living in another world.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:18 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,202,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
They are out there, parts of Astoria are nice and the rent is under $1200. Places in NJ like West New York and Weehawken along Blvd E have places for $1000. The NJ Transit bus runs 24/7 from blvd e and it frequently runs like every 5 min. Just keep looking

I stayed in Weehawken on a visit to NY right on the Hudson. I like the 158 that goes right to the port authority where you can get on the A,C,E and go down to the middle of the financial district. Im not sure Id mind that commute. However, not sure if I can take living in NJ, and no offense, but most of North Jersey that Ive seen is run down. Outside of the riverfront in Weehawken, the rest of the area I went through looks similiar to the most run down areas of Norfolk, Va.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City