Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 08:56 AM

12 posts, read 20,329 times

Advertisements

Wow, thanks to everyone. Your help is encouraging and again I am overwhelmed with all your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 09:03 AM

Default What about Morrisania, Bed-Stuy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thosepeskyfacts View Post
Then you haven't seen much of it. The overwhelming majority is fine.

It would be like someone judging all of New York City based on Morrisania, Bed-Stuy, Hunt's Point, etc. You get my drift. The stereotyping and painting with a broad brush is uncalled for.
We just saw a nice apt in Bed-Stuy, tell me about the above areas please.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:28 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,668,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concord55 View Post
Bed-Stuy is not a good idea in this situation.

Avoid:
Crown Heights
Bed Stuy
East New York
Bushwick

If your son does not have street smarts.... you're saying he's coming from a rural mountain town and this will be a huge change, do not get him an apt in Bed Stuy. The cheap apts you are finding are cheap for a reason. Do not do this sight unseen over the internet, someone is going to have to go scope these places out.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:48 AM

3 posts, read 4,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concord55 View Post
I think this two sites can give you some useful info when u r searching for neighborhoods.

New York City Homicides Map - The New York Times

38 crimes reported in Precinct 79 | Crime reports | EveryBlock New York City

Old 07-08-2009, 11:50 AM

Thanks for the websites, those will be very helpful and we agree we just are not going to be able to do this over the Internet. Do you think we can find our own apt without having to pay a real estate agent the broker fees?

Old 07-08-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Bed-Stuy is not a good idea in this situation.

Avoid:
Crown Heights
Bed Stuy
East New York
Bushwick

If your son does not have street smarts.... you're saying he's coming from a rural mountain town and this will be a huge change, do not get him an apt in Bed Stuy. The cheap apts you are finding are cheap for a reason. Do not do this sight unseen over the internet, someone is going to have to go scope these places out.
Thanks for this list!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City