Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2010, 11:04 PM

2 posts, read 9,781 times

Advertisements

Ok Mike and Fred and all those with advice i think I can say we all appreciate it got my result which of course made me mad 91.25 list number 31xx is there hope for me? And also since becoming unemployed I have been constantly checking DCAS along with others on exams is there a better way to do that. You all state its had workingfor the MTA but everyone seems happy i am still young 26 but an looking to get on the right track to try and secure a better life for me and my wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 10:03 AM

3 posts, read 18,570 times
I just received my list number in the mail from the T/O exam 8098.I'm #567.Is there any real shot at getting called once they start calling from the o/c list.Or should i just give up hope and not hold out waiting.I know it would be a few years anyway before being called.I was just wondering if anybody had any input on whether the TA was considering hiring T/O's or did they need to put out the exam for the sake of having a list to satisfy Albany,and make a few dollars from the exam fees.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:31 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich424 View Post
I was just wondering if anybody had any input on whether the TA was considering hiring T/O's or did they need to put out the exam for the sake of having a list to satisfy Albany,and make a few dollars from the exam fees.
Given the present situation with MTA, my guess is that it's likely they are going to be hiring. They would like very much for the most senior employees to leave; proposals for buyout packages are in the air (the last one was flat out insulting--if they're serious, they'll come up with something better).

As for the exam fees, that's not MTA. That's DCAS. And I've also had the strange feeling that DCAS issues exams when it's time to raise money for their Christmas party. I suppose we should give them the benefit of the doubt, however.

And to pdotc: there's nothing to be mad about. You took the test, and your list number is your list number. You did everything you could do, and now you just have to wait and see how things develop. If you don't like the way things look now, hey, we're about to elect a new governor. The governor appoints MTA's chairman. Jay Walder being there is not engraved in stone; things could change, and with them, MTA policy!

Old 07-14-2010, 06:53 PM

3 posts, read 18,570 times
Thank you Fred for the reply.If you hear anything could you please post it for all us hopefuls.Thanks.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:25 AM

Of course!

By the way, everything that's been said so far will also apply for people on the list for Conductor.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:57 PM

243 posts, read 1,333,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdotc View Post
Ok Mike and Fred and all those with advice i think I can say we all appreciate it got my result which of course made me mad 91.25 list number 31xx is there hope for me? And also since becoming unemployed I have been constantly checking DCAS along with others on exams is there a better way to do that. You all state its had workingfor the MTA but everyone seems happy i am still young 26 but an looking to get on the right track to try and secure a better life for me and my wife.

With a list number over 3,000 I personally do not think you are going to get called , but anything can happen. There is a promotional list ahead of the open competitives for 1 , and let's assume 1 in 4 on the O/C list actually get hired , they'll be hiring 750 motormen in front of you before you get called AFTER hiring promotionals. Since there are less than 4,000 motormen citywide , to get called you will need to see about 25% of current motormen turn over. There was just a hiring blitz the last few years off the list that I got appointed off of. That hiring blitz is coming to an end soon since most train operators that were hanging around waiting to retire and extend their pensions have either put in their retirement papers and are gone or are just about to do so.
My list # was in the top 350 and it still took over 3 years to get called and hired and that was before the economy collapsed.
I have never complained about the job , I like it and I feel I receive fair pay and benefits for the work I do. That being said , it is not a piece of cake job. Is it a back breaker , no , neither extreme.
I hate telling guys I think their list # is no good , and since I'm not in personnel anything I say could be wrong , but from my perspective I would be lying if I told you to just hang in there you'll be getting a call any day.
Still , as with everyone else that posts a question here , I wish you luck.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:02 PM

243 posts, read 1,333,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich424 View Post
I just received my list number in the mail from the T/O exam 8098.I'm #567.Is there any real shot at getting called once they start calling from the o/c list.Or should i just give up hope and not hold out waiting.I know it would be a few years anyway before being called.I was just wondering if anybody had any input on whether the TA was considering hiring T/O's or did they need to put out the exam for the sake of having a list to satisfy Albany,and make a few dollars from the exam fees.
With a list # of 567 , yes you have a real shot at getting called. My guess would be in 3-4 years. Probably closer to 3. As with the previous poster I'll use the 1 in 4 rule of thumb , you would have about 115-120 being called in front of you off the O/C and with a promotional list of about 800 and assuming 1 in 3 of them get promoted about 265 or so off that list , so for you to get hired there will be about a little less than 400 coming in in front of you , so yes , it's possible , and even probable. But again , expect a wait of 3-4 years. Good luck.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:24 AM

My understanding is that within the next month or two, a buyout package is going to be offered to people in titles like train operator and conductor. MTA would really like senior personnel to leave. So all of you guys waiting for your list numbers to be called...there's reason for optimism.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:21 PM

2 posts, read 7,453 times
I just received the notification that I passed the exam, my list number is 193. I am wondering how long before they are estimated to reach my number?

Old 07-19-2010, 02:26 PM

2 posts, read 7,453 times
I have a 98.75 Score and am #193 on the list... Wonder how long before they are estimated to reach my number?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City