Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2009, 10:48 AM

3 posts, read 22,757 times

Advertisements

I recently apply for public housing for myself and my 2 Year old son. I apply regular and for the Staten Island Outreach program. i receive a letter in the mail about 2 days ago asking me to come in NOV 3 2009 for a Interview. After i give in all the papers, what is the next step? How much longer do i have to wait for an apartment. What is the safest complex in Staten island.

Will they approve me for a 1 or 2 bedroom since my son is 2 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 11:00 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyundaisonata222 View Post
I recently apply for public housing for myself and my 2 Year old son. I apply regular and for the Staten Island Outreach program. i receive a letter in the mail about 2 days ago asking me to come in NOV 3 2009 for a Interview. After i give in all the papers, what is the next step? How much longer do i have to wait for an apartment. What is the safest complex in Staten island.

the safest would probably be todt hill or south beach. marhkam gardens is safe too but its close to new brighton which is very bad. along with mariners harbor, richmond terrace, and stapleton, those 4 are the worst on staten island.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-23-2009, 11:19 AM

3 posts, read 22,757 times
Do you know how much longer i would have to wait after the interview?

Old 10-23-2009, 11:45 AM

1,121 posts, read 6,553,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
marhkam gardens...
...has been converted to mixed income rentals and some for home ownership for a while now. Not a housing project anymore.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:54 PM

3 posts, read 27,353 times
After the initial interview they'll mail you a list of vacancies in the boroughs you chose. After you choose your application is then fwded to that specific development of your choice and be put on their waiting list - which can be from 2 months to a few years (!), depending on what development you choose. Since you have a 2 yr old boy, you most likely will be a 2 bdrm apt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyundaisonata222 View Post

Old 11-10-2009, 05:12 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 009 View Post
...has been converted to mixed income rentals and some for home ownership for a while now. Not a housing project anymore.
you're right. completely forgot about that. i give props where props are due

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-27-2011, 09:37 AM

3 posts, read 20,759 times
why is it that nycha offers you an apartment in a development that doesn't have any openings? why not fill the vacancy apartments that are already ready why have people thinking they are going to be moving after the dvelopment selection letter is approved? NYCHA is so disorganized?

Old 04-17-2012, 09:13 AM

3 posts, read 20,759 times
I have to say that since my interview I did some investigating and I want to let people know what happend. Well first NYCHA is really trying to undo a lot of damage that has sat unattended for years. secondly you can just sit and wait for them to change everything. I apply but there are so many different list call often ask question and if they can"t give a concret answer asks for a supervisor if they are unavialable call 250 Broadway. write a letter in to the chair man, don't send a bunch of complaints, send the actual problem, how you spoke to how long your have been waiting, when you had your interview. there are a lot of reasons why some families get called before others and it's simple know your status on the list w- 1 (means working family 1) what ever it is, if you are doubled up or whatever explain whats happening and find out if you have been called, I will tell you if you are on the genral list you will not always be called before your thrid year. call the contact center let them know you are checking on the application sned them in writing your request of knowing information keep a list of your documents and be prepared. I understand that housing is looked at as a bad thing. Well If you want the projects to be better than make it better by starting with your own building get involved. if the garage is always siting out in the hall confort the the person who is leaving it there. get to know your neighbors and take pride in where you live. understand if you owned a house you WOULD NOT ALLOW anyone to deface your [SIZE=3]Property so treat where you live and rent the same. just because people think the worst doesn't mean it is always that way . Take pride in where you live. Just because t's not a million dollar address doesn't mean it can be a million dollar dream. There are so many good things in find a place to call home just start looking at life as the cup is half full instead of half empty there are so many people who have no place to call home. It's up to all the residents in NYCHA to start actively getting involved with the projects and stop blaming the world at how things are going. NYCHA is a landlord just like any other landlord take a chance to raise the roof on bring back pride call on your leaders to get involved to cahnge the outside they are making other parts of the city beauitful what happend to our grass, our trees, our buildings a little paint and so cleaning supples, locks on the front doors, lights in all the stairwells. home is what you make of it. if you feel that you will never want to live in NYCHa its must because you can afford to live some where eles .unfortunate some of us can't live some where eles, but those who live here just remenber you and your children live here make it safe and warm for them, our kids are our future... [/SIZE]

Old 10-19-2014, 05:13 PM

26 posts, read 68,532 times
I dnt think anyone knows about whats going on with nycha at all i been waiting called so many times and im priority n1 for domestic violence and still nothing six months and nothing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City