Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 12:01 PM

75 posts, read 311,368 times

Advertisements

How long do it usually take nycha to run a background check? How long is the wait for development for the outreach program?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 05:18 PM

175 posts, read 459,311 times
Ive been waiting since april my interview was 4/10/12. My status had been in eligibility review since june. The background check goes quick of your record is clean. its the eligibility review thats takes its time. I'm not sure about the waiting list for the development though.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:25 PM

@Trinigirl568 Wow, not to put my business out but i am in a shelter and they are trying to make me move to make me and my family uncomfortable. i need to hear something by nycha just so i can tell these nosey shelter people something. i had an out reach letter so it is post to be faster than a regular interview. i just had it in 06/13/12 but my time is limited and there is so much i have to do if the move me. i called the general number and they told me everything for my eligibility went through but the last process the background check that takes the longest . What they not doing they job or something?? i picked my place i want to go to and its just stressing omfg!

Old 07-12-2012, 06:54 PM

The customer service people that answer the phone only see whats on the cpu they dont work on the application. So I realize that people higher up processes everything. I feel the same way if everything is clear why an I still in review. Hopefully its processed soon my lease is about to be up in two weeks. And I hope I hear something too

Old 07-12-2012, 07:54 PM

I understand, the shelter is trying to force me to move to another more strict shelter or get an apt. I bought alot of things for my apt inwhich i was post to move to and they messed it up. Now they forcing me to get an apartment that is out of my families price range and for us to suffer in an apt when nycha could call us any moment. i dont see why they cant wait i am trying not to put my stuff in storage yet because during the interview i was told since it is not a basic interview they should call me back soon.
when i ask the lady how long she couldn't tell me nothing. so i asked her would it take a year and she said no shorter but she cant even me no time frame. i think this is b.s. and i dont want to have to put my money into this brokers fee, 1st month, last month and security or be forced to pay for storage if i am due to move any day now. I wish good luck it you girl!!! i be calling them like 3 times aday just to see if there is any change.
do you atleast call them? but that is crazy smdh! i will keep you posted if anything changes in my case because if you got your interview 2months b4 mine then you should be in urs b4 me... did you pick ya place yet? lol we might be neighbors u never no lol

Old 07-12-2012, 08:16 PM

226 posts, read 1,097,812 times
Hey dream,not to burst your bubble but im in the same situation just like you with mnor differences. Just because we did the interview that does not mean we get the apt once we pass the eligibility review. We then go on a waiting list which could last for 6 months to 2 years+. I dont know if you know this but the outreach is much quicker then regular nycha,however the outreach gets you on a waiting list for projects people dont want so you still end up waiting til an apt in the development you picked comes up. It sucks i know,however we just have to let time,patience and god be on our sides. I had my interview with them yesterday 7-11-12 but im not counting on a move til maybe the end of this year and even in next year 2013. I need a 1 bed so hopefully those come up quick. But then hey you never know,you might pas eligibility and actually be the first one they call for an apt and it can happen in less then the 3-6 month frame. Im sorry for the bad news but trust me girl im definitely inthe same boat your in.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:33 PM

I call every other day lol. I just made three months so I'm trying to give them some time. Im in the bronx. Brooklyn might get through faster than the bronx. I know its frustrating but everything wel work out in the end I don't want to, sign a new lease but I might have too.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:35 PM

Hey Mzineednycha Lol i like your name by the way. i understand what your saying but i have like a household worth of stuff and i am still stuck why pay for storage if i dont need to and they expensive now. i was told outreach was different. What was your interview for?? I was told i would be diffidently called back before a year but no time frame. i understand i havent been waiting long bout i had to pay a damn 200 dollar ticket my spouse had got just so we wouldnt have to wait for ever even though i was going to make him fight it i decided to pay it so i didnt have to wait long.
i know they regular interview is different cause they look up everything than they call you back for a 2nd interview to pick your placement and the outreach you do everything there than i was told if the place i choice has no place for me than i pick another and when they call me back which is " QUICK " i will move. i think all these people who live there now-a-days take it for advantage. me and my spouse r both young and it is hard for us because of it so i think this would be best. Wow i wish their was a way to contact or see who my worker is or something cuz that customer care office aint doing it for me .
CONGRADS ON YOUR INTERVIEW GIRL. Getting an interview with them is like winning the lotto and my spouse was lucky to be called back twice smdh. but his first interview he lost his job so they didnt say nothing not even a letter in the mail to update us what happened but we figured . He got called for outreach and now i am like over excited everyday to almost be there but its seems like im standing and walking still.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:42 PM

@Trinigirl568 Yeah, i am in a shelter in Bk but i dont like it here :'( I am a Manhattan/ bronx bond girl. This is to much. my neighbor didnt keep up with nycha i sent in a new application every 6months but my spouse got called not me for his application. since she didnt send one now she is stuck and off the waiting list till she apply again and she been in the shelter 6years .
But i think my spouse was called back soonier cus he grew up their even though they say that dont make a difference i think it do. Yeah you might have to but hopefully they thoughtful and let it bypass if nycha calls you. i heard its up to the landlord to let you go after you sign that lease. he could make you responsible for the apt even if you live in nycha and you will still have to pay the rent intill your lease ends or someone decides to move in. which ever is faster.Shyt i hope you get in soon.
I have faith in god but smdh i think its never enough

Old 07-12-2012, 08:58 PM

226 posts, read 1,097,812 times
My interview was for brooklyn outreach. My interviewer was really nice and she too told me it could be up to 6 months,however idk. Im still just gonna leave it alone,continue posting with updates and hopefully me and my daughter can get the apt in the development i choose. Good luck too all of us and dream do.t forget to update us with your progress as well even if its months from now. Lol but i depend on these threads for my information and other peoples experience and progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery