Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 06:42 PM

80 posts, read 306,937 times

Advertisements

Just reviving this thread because I love seeing how things turn out and to affectionately reduce lauralove181mn's important life decision to a babyboomer pop cultural reference. Did lauralove181mn continue her love affair with New York, pull a "Rhoda" and move from Minnesota to New York? Or did she say "no" to the price of great food, culture and diversity because she's really just a small town girl who can't turn the WHOLE world on with a smile?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 07:20 AM

23 posts, read 87,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Just reviving this thread because I love seeing how things turn out and to affectionately reduce lauralove181mn's important life decision to a babyboomer pop cultural reference. Did lauralove181mn continue her love affair with New York, pull a "Rhoda" and move from Minnesota to New York? Or did she say "no" to the price of great food, culture and diversity because she's really just a small town girl who can't turn the WHOLE world on with a smile?
No, I haven't moved yet. If you read the above posts....you'll know I was planning on moving after college. So within 4-6 years. And I CAN turn the world on with a smile.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Though I tend to present realistic-to worse case scenarios, I think I now get where you're coming from.

Yes, contemplating a move to NYC is a big life-changing decision which shouldn't be taken lightly and the social, economic and professional costs and benefits should be researched as thoroughly as possible, but there's a point where you worry too much.

If you were someone who was not a city person or didn't dream of living here I'd say if you can't just go with it maybe you shouldn't move here because this city can be stressful and it may not be worth it to you if you're stressing about it at this stage.

But since you really want to move here and have done your share of research, just do what feels right and join the rest of us negative, brusque, neurotic, paranoid, delusional, cautiously optimistic and pollyanna-ish non-Native New Yorkers who love being here! Everything eventually works out!
I agree, but I'm not worrying about it. Just getting prepared, that's all. I don't want it to be so overwhelming when I move, again 4-6 years from now. And, I assure, I will be visiting quite a bit before I finally make the big decision to move. So, thank you.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:47 AM

I really wish we could just get back to the topic at hand. All I want to know is what all the areas of manhattan are like. And what the crime is like. I can research the rest on my own. I don't know how this topic got switched around, but it's time to get back on track. I really don't care if everyone thinks I'm rediculous for wanting to move to such a rough "chew you up and spit you out" city. I already know how difficult it is and how difficult it will be. I don't wanna know WHERE to live, I can research that myself. I just wanna know what each area is like. What are the streets like, the businesses of the area, the markets, the buildings, etc.?

Old 07-29-2008, 07:54 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,683,746 times
Have you even visited yet? There is no way in hell you're going to find a Manhattan apartment in your price range that will take a dog.

Yes - you will see them advertised on Craiglist, and you will most likely end up falling for a deposit scam or a bait and switch ad.

Are you and your boyfriend going to be making $160k combined? Because that's what you'll need to qualify for a $4k apartment.

What exactly are the jobs you're going to have and how much are you expecting to make? edit - I just saw you said "Fashion". My sister went to FIT... you will be fighting top notch fashion majors for jobs paying $30k, or worse, unpaid internships. Competition is fierce here for fashion.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:35 PM

34,154 posts, read 47,390,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralove181mn View Post
I really wish we could just get back to the topic at hand. All I want to know is what all the areas of manhattan are like. And what the crime is like. I can research the rest on my own. I don't know how this topic got switched around, but it's time to get back on track. I really don't care if everyone thinks I'm rediculous for wanting to move to such a rough "chew you up and spit you out" city. I already know how difficult it is and how difficult it will be. I don't wanna know WHERE to live, I can research that myself. I just wanna know what each area is like. What are the streets like, the businesses of the area, the markets, the buildings, etc.?
manhattan has many different neighborhoods. maybe this is why you're having a hard time finding the answers on this forum.

if you want to see how the streets in manhattan look without physically coming here, use google views.

if you want to see a map of manhattan, go to New York City Department of City Planning - Amanda M. Burden, Director

it will tell you all of manhattan's neighborhoods.

what exactly do you want to know about the crime? manhattan is generally safe south of 110th street on the west side and 96th street on the east side, as others have mentioned before.
now north of those boundaries isnt exactly a war zone like it was in the early '90s, but there are still a few troubled blocks that probably are not the safest to walk at night.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-31-2008, 01:14 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,981,825 times
Default you can go higher

Actually, there are really really nice areas north of 110th, particularly if you head further west. I mean, the main Columbia campus is at 116th between Amsterdam and Broadway and it's a super nice area around there and even a bit north of there.
(I live at 129th - it's definitely more "in transition" up there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
The West side is good up to about 110th St.

The upper East side isn't necessarily as 'ritzy' as it is family-oriented. However, NONE of Manhattan is cheap and Greenwich Village, Soho/Tribeca and the Upper West side are among the priciest areas.

Midtown IS less costly - for a reason: amenities for daily living are fewer and farther between (like REALLY GOOD supermarkets).

Look around at the NY Times real estate section to get ideas.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
manhattan has many different neighborhoods. maybe this is why you're having a hard time finding the answers on this forum.

if you want to see how the streets in manhattan look without physically coming here, use google views.

if you want to see a map of manhattan, go to New York City Department of City Planning - Amanda M. Burden, Director

it will tell you all of manhattan's neighborhoods.

what exactly do you want to know about the crime? manhattan is generally safe south of 110th street on the west side and 96th street on the east side, as others have mentioned before.
now north of those boundaries isnt exactly a war zone like it was in the early '90s, but there are still a few troubled blocks that probably are not the safest to walk at night.
I already know the neighborhoods, thanks. Maybe I should be more specific I'm thinking Midtown, Tribeca, Greenwich Village (both east and west), and Murray Hill. What I really wanna know is what each area is known for and what each has to offer.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:52 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,434,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralove181mn View Post
I already know the neighborhoods, thanks. Maybe I should be more specific I'm thinking Midtown, Tribeca, Greenwich Village (both east and west), and Murray Hill. What I really wanna know is what each area is known for and what each has to offer.
TriBeCa is trendy, with varied architecture and a downtown feel. Long since "discovered," TriBeCa is now one of the most expensive residential districts in the city, and its zip code, 10013, is one of the most expensive in the country. It's a great mix of shops, restaurants, commercial, and residential buildings in a district that had been overlooked for development until the 1960s-1970s. Today, there's not a huge difference in downtown enclaves, save for divisions by street, and TriBeCa, SoHo, NoHo, NoLita, etc. are all trendy and hip locales in the downtown scene. I saw in an earlier post the type of apartment you are seeking, and it's not realistic in TriBeCa, since you could easily pay upwards of $7000/mo for a 2BR.

The Village used to be a bohemian place, but now is very similar to other highly valued Manhattan real estate. It's a residential area, with small scale commercial development. There are arrays of experimental theatre, trendy restaurants, and botiques that, mixed with distinctive residential buildings, constitute the majority of today's Village. I am not sure what you meant by East Greenwich Village, since The Village begins at Broadway and heads west. The East Village is not affiliated with Greenwich Village, save for being a term coined in the 1960s to try to capture some of the cachet of Greenwich Village.

The East Village is Houston to 14th on the east side of Manhattan and includes a colorful history of the beat generation, punk rock scene, Alphabet City, an earlier arts scene (though that has declined dramatically as prices crept upward). The East Village is carved out of what was traditionally part of the Lower East Side.

Midtown is the central business district of Manhattan, using the traditional and broad definition of 31st to 59th as Midtown, which includes residential enclaves such as Murray Hill, Chelsea, Clinton (aka Hell's Kitchen or Midtown West), Tudor City, Kips and Turtle Bays, etc. It's a vast area known for everything from theatre to fashion to restaurants to shopping. It's a mix of everything. You mentioned Murray Hill, which is on the eastside of Midtown and is a residential neighborhood, which was a quiet enclave, but has changed a little bit to include restaurants and nightlife on 3rd; though this is not as vibrant as the club scene style nightlife in more trendy areas. Within the defined neighborhoods of Midtown, prices will vary greatly from other buildings that are mixed in with more of the commercial structures since many businesses that support the residential structures are not as prevalent in parts of the area.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:29 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,641,563 times
And if you want to see what each area actually looks like, go to Tous les Quartiers de New York - All the Borough of New York and click on Manhattan. (It's a French website, and they occasionally get some neighborhood names wrong, but the aerial views are nothing short of spectacular).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City