Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 12:15 AM

25 posts, read 91,631 times

Advertisements

And by the way, PR's speak more English because... they're American citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 10:44 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Im not smart yet your still treating "black" as if it was a race? smh. I was going to type more but that right there defeats your post. Nobody is trying to say albert pujols is black. WTF are u talking about. Im talking about the people who are so dark their purple, that deny that their black. You and the other idiots who feel this way think identifying with "black" means your identifying with being Black American. Theres is no rule. If your black your black. If anything the denying comes from a deeply rooted self hatred of anything considered black

And im not an african american
Well I don't see what were arguing about then. If you're telling me that people like Sammy Sosa, and hispanics the color of Wesley Snipes (and even Will Smith) are black, then yes I agree with you. It is wrong for people of that complexion to deny their black, they're just self hating and it is sad.

My beef was with people who look more visually mixed, but get thrown in with black.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
it was well documented that Trujillo killed black Dominicans who lived on the boarder with the haitians. maybe he did it by accident because he thought arrogantly they were Haitian? idk but black Dominicans died in his rulings and that's a fact.

in fact many Dominicans who argue with haitians will tell you Trujillo killed black Dominicans once haitians start using him as an excuse of dominican hatred towards them.

their are many Dominicans who will tell you Trujillo killed black Dominicans also.
IF he did (big if), it was probably by mistake. He targeted Haitians, and it was very probable that some Dominicans living there were of Haitian descent due to the fact that it was on the border. But again, he was less anti black and more anti Haitian. I've read countless books and spoke to people who lived under his rule. While anything Trujillo is banned in the DR, there are some people who admire him on the low, since it's dangerous to come out with it.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:21 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,770,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Well I don't see what were arguing about then. If you're telling me that people like Sammy Sosa, and hispanics the color of Wesley Snipes (and even Will Smith) are black, then yes I agree with you. It is wrong for people of that complexion to deny their black, they're just self hating and it is sad.

My beef was with people who look more visually mixed, but get thrown in with black.
What's so bad about being identified or "thrown in" as black. Every black family I know is a hue of colors. I've seen brothers and sisters where one appears white and one appears black. Great example Rashida and Kadida Jones. Should we separate their racial category on their physical apperance? Seems pretty stupid they are related. How could one be considered black and the other one not? Apperance is a simplified way of looking at race. It's all in the genes.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
what dont you beleive really? because Trujillo had 2 purposes. One to rid dr of haitians and take over Haiti, and 2 to eliminate the blackness out of the dr, and opening its gates to all non black nations.
That's not what i was referencing. The comment was about USA annexing DR in the 19th century well before Trujillo. No offense but read the quote.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Mariah carey father is from venezuela. He is afro venezuelan but when he immigrated to antics he anglicized his last name. I would consider mariah carey half latina and white.
I agree but on several interviews she has said that she is black.

Last edited by 1nevets; 01-01-2011 at 11:54 AM..

Old 01-01-2011, 11:48 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,354,372 times
It's all about what we learn and our perception.

I grew up learning that in the context of a racially divided America to be proud of my heritage as the descendant of African slaves. Having no cultural ties to our Native American or Caucasian roots (as many of you derived from South, Central American, or Spanish speaking Caribbean countries have) American blacks developed an identity of our own that is unique. It's in the foods we eat, how we speak, move, think, practice religion, our music, etc.

There is nothing wrong with being black. But the comments here tell me that many of you lack the background and/or knowledge about African Americanism (blackness) to claim what it really means. Neither you nor your families have the living experience, many of you are also young and perceive blackness to be everything in your recollection, most of which is post 1980 and negative, and does not consider everything that came prior. Our civil rights movement is why brown people are here today and can bypass the struggles that we had. Please remember this the next time you think negatively about a black American person.

I suggest that you read up on American history and the contributions of blacks since the 18th century to have a more rounded perspective.

Last edited by queensgrl; 01-01-2011 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: typo, addition

Old 01-01-2011, 12:30 PM

My beef is that America is just black and white. Clearly mixed people, are not just only black. So why call them black? In Dr, Brazil etc places that are actually really diverse, there is a name for every skin color shade available. Just because AMERICANS use the ODR, doesn't mean that every country has to follow it. Obviously many hispanics are of African descent, but are also European descent. To me it makes no sense that the African would overule the European. They should both be represented equally. How does it make sense that according to the ODR, a person who is 95% and 5% black, is black. That is insanity. Same with people who are 50% - 50%. That person is both equally black and white.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:53 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,354,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
My beef is that America is just black and white. Clearly mixed people, are not just only black. So why call them black? In Dr, Brazil etc places that are actually really diverse, there is a name for every skin color shade available. Just because AMERICANS use the ODR, doesn't mean that every country has to follow it. Obviously many hispanics are of African descent, but are also European descent. To me it makes no sense that the African would overule the European. They should both be represented equally. How does it make sense that according to the ODR, a person who is 95% and 5% black, is black. That is insanity. Same with people who are 50% - 50%. That person is both equally black and white.
Read American history. There was more profit in having more people be "black" because they could be slaves. Slaves = Money = Cost of Production. Remember, that one of the main "crops" of an American plantation was a human crop -- more "black" people -- often sired by white men.

Also, going forward in history, to maintain a social strata pyramid that is bottom heavy (creating a source of cheap labor and subservients) lump all blacks, regardless of their admixture, into one category.

IMO, it can all be boiled down to economics and cultural orientation. I have some admixture (see pic I just posted) but I am not connected culturally to my other parts, so it is difficult for me to claim something other than "black." Eventually, American blacks took control of the negativity associated with looking black and said, to hell with what others think -- we are black and proud -- and the black pride movement grew out of that sentiment, in the 70s, when I was a kid. We made great advancements in income and education during that period and continue to do so regardless of what you read and hear. I am, therefore, not ashamed of my looks or my background. Outside of Cuba, I don't know of any Latin American or Spanish-speaking Caribbean nation that had a black/Africana pride movement. Hence, there's a stronger association with culture (Spanish) than with race, regardless of one's skin tone.

Does this make sense?

Last edited by queensgrl; 01-01-2011 at 01:09 PM..

Old 01-01-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Read American history. There was more profit in having more people be "black" because they could be slaves. Slaves = Money = Cost of Production. Remember, that one of the main "crops" of an American plantation was a human crop -- more "black" people -- often sired by white men.

Also, going forward in history, to maintain a social strata pyramid that is bottom heavy (creating a source of cheap labor and subservients) lump all blacks, regardless of their admixture, into one category.

IMO, it can all be boiled down to economics and cultural orientation. I have some admixture (see pic I just posted) but I am not connected culturally to my other parts, so it is difficult for me to claim something other than "black." Eventually, American blacks took control of the negativity associated with looking black and said, to hell with what others think -- we are black and proud -- and the black pride movement grew out of that sentiment, in the 70s, when I was a kid. We made great advancements in income and education during that period and continue to do so regardless of what you read and hear. I am, therefore, not ashamed of my looks or my background. Outside of Cuba, I don't know of any Latin American or Spanish-speaking Caribbean nation that had a black/Africana pride movement. Hence, there's a stronger association with culture (Spanish) than with race, regardless of one's skin tone.

Does this make sense?
Agreed, and yes makes plenty of sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City