Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 08:06 AM

31 posts, read 134,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
I take the G Train and it seems pretty reliable but that's during the day. I don't know how it is at night. Did you know that you can use the MTA's trip planner and get an actual schedule? MTA NYC Transit - Trip Planner
oh, cool, didnt know actually. i have heard that the G train is terrible to rely on day and night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 09:51 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,614,204 times
I don't know why everyone hates hipsters. First off, some of those hipster girls are cute. Second, I rather them than the D-bag Jerseyians or LIers. Or of course, let the areas stay ghetto.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:02 PM

31 posts, read 134,036 times
F everyones groups. I just want to meet some genuine people.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:06 PM

398 posts, read 1,331,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I don't know why everyone hates hipsters. First off, some of those hipster girls are cute. Second, I rather them than the D-bag Jerseyians or LIers. Or of course, let the areas stay ghetto.
Thats the key..SOME of them are cute. Some are just way to plain. I could talk to a brick wall and probably be more entertained..

Old 12-14-2011, 03:23 PM

183 posts, read 601,476 times
"Hipster" is too broad a term. You have maybe 4 different broad groups who share a common interest in style, entertainment, and location. 1. Poor artists, writers, musicians and other creative types. 2. Students. they may not be rich and may be living off of loan money or other aid, but are going to schools in the area. 3. Rich twenty-somethings. Their parents have a ****-load of money and they're into "hipster" stuff, so they can live anywhere they want. 4. Yipsters/Yupsters. Well-off young professionals who want to be part of the cool crowd.

The first 2 groups are step 1 in the gentrification process. They can only afford to live in poorer areas. The second 2 types are step 2. They can afford to live in most of the expensive, but still kind somewhat affordable areas. After that comes those with butt-loads of cash, maybe investment bankers or super-wealthy kids and adults. They drove people out of Manhattan and are taking over Williamsburg.

To really stop gentrification, you have to address the policies that allow people to become so wealthy in the first place, that allow them to pay so much for property. You're not going to get rid of the creative types and students who are the seeds of what becomes gentrification (due to the large wealth inequality in the US).

Old 12-15-2011, 10:12 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikJohnsson View Post
"Hipster" is too broad a term. You have maybe 4 different broad groups who share a common interest in style, entertainment, and location. 1. Poor artists, writers, musicians and other creative types. 2. Students. they may not be rich and may be living off of loan money or other aid, but are going to schools in the area. 3. Rich twenty-somethings. Their parents have a ****-load of money and they're into "hipster" stuff, so they can live anywhere they want. 4. Yipsters/Yupsters. Well-off young professionals who want to be part of the cool crowd.

The first 2 groups are step 1 in the gentrification process. They can only afford to live in poorer areas. The second 2 types are step 2. They can afford to live in most of the expensive, but still kind somewhat affordable areas. After that comes those with butt-loads of cash, maybe investment bankers or super-wealthy kids and adults. They drove people out of Manhattan and are taking over Williamsburg.

To really stop gentrification, you have to address the policies that allow people to become so wealthy in the first place, that allow them to pay so much for property. You're not going to get rid of the creative types and students who are the seeds of what becomes gentrification (due to the large wealth inequality in the US).
I don't think I've ever seen the breakdown you just described broken down so neatly... Well said...

Old 12-15-2011, 07:06 PM

669 posts, read 1,274,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikJohnsson View Post

Agreed ppl think every 20 year old with a beard and tight pants is a hipster these days.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:25 PM

Life's too short to go around writing off groups of people just because of their appearance. NYC is a huge, dense city full of all kinds of people, and that includes people who are broadly painted as "hipster". They're all different though. Some are a$$holes, some are extremely friendly, some are well educated, some aren't, some are young, some have been in NYC for decades, some are vain, some could barely give a sh1t how they look, some have wealthy parents, some have well paying professions, some are barely surviving. They may share bits and pieces of commonality, which helps them socialize with each other. That's what most people want in life (in their twenties and thirties at least), to be around other people while we have fun, discover and develop our skills, and try to survive during a pretty $hitty period of time.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:25 PM

423 posts, read 1,281,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd9124 View Post
Agreed ppl think every 20 year old with a beard and tight pants is a hipster these days.
Well they're certainly not your typical hispanic male from The Bronx, or Italian from Bensonhurst, or Middle Eastern from Bay Ridge, or Chinese male from Flushing, or black male from East New York.

Most 20 year olds with a beard and tight pants are probably hipsters. I've taken the L train quite a few times at night and they definitely have a stereotypical image.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:27 AM

I find it funny people seem more worked up over "hipsters" coming to the city when the roots of the problems they ascribe to hipsters are the result of an entirely different group of people, who typically are full of themselves, do look down on others unlike them, are extremely wealthy, have wealthy families, have no interest in the communities that have developed in NYC over generations, and so on. They drive up the rent, which pushes "hipsters" further and further away from Manhattan. They hardly care if Manhattan and Brooklyn are a chain of big bank branches, fast food restaurants, and Starbucks, as long as they have their elite hang outs. But then we have to ask, what allows people to get like this and that allows them to have this negative effect on others? There are some very deep problems we need to deal with.

Of course, every subculture has a$$holes, every group of people, no matter how you classify them, probably even the Amish and Quakers, does as well. I think that's a different issue. I think you'll find most "hipsters" come from middle class, at most, families and have debt and are struggling like everyone else. Because indie culture is so mainstream now, of course some wealthy kids have gotten into it and their parents are paying for their lifestyle in Brooklyn, but I think they're a minority that makes themselves well known because they can afford to. Perhaps there are a bit more like this now proportionally to those who aren't wealthy in Williamsburg and surrounding areas since 2009 because of the economy. The rich are doing fine, even better than ever, the rest of us are suffering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City