Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 10:56 PM

5 posts, read 47,531 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I would like to know what areas would be safe to live near the Linconl Hospital in Bronx?.
I migth move there and I would like to know about areas that are family oriented since I have 2 small kids ( 4 and 1 and a half years old).
Also about the transportation what would be better subway /bus or drive?
I heard about Riverdale and Pelham but are there any other areas? and if I am coming from north Jersey it would worth it since there are many tolls?.
By the way the rent I am planning to spend would be betwen $1200-$1500 for at least 2 BR place .

Thanks for the information.

Last edited by djvh; 02-16-2010 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: misspelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 09:30 AM

412 posts, read 1,327,110 times
The areas around Lincoln Hospital isn't all that great, why would you chose to live there?

There are much better areas in the Bronx. I suggest closer to the Grand Concourse since you will have access to the #4 & D train. The #1 & #2 bus that runs from 138th to Independence Ave along the Concourse.

149th St. area is kinda sketchy for small kids.

Riverdale & Pelham are nice areas but the rents can be quite high. You should also look at the Bedford Park area of the Bronx.

I used to live in the Norwood area (205th st & Bainbridge area,) near Montefiore Hospital and it was nice up there.

Other parts of the Bronx that are still nice are some parts of the Castle Hill area, the #22 Bus & the #6 train. Allerton Avenue, #26 bus, #2 & #5 train but you might have to take a bus to the train because the blocks are long.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:05 PM

The reason I was thinking about living in the area by the Lincoln hospital is because I'll be working near there and I can't drive in busy traffic like NY so I'll be dependent on public transportation. It's possible to live in another area that wouldn't be too far away from the Lincoln hospital area, but I prefer to be close like within 20 minutes by walking or by taking public transportation. I saw I can take the #2, #4, and #5 trains to this area and also the bus routes #1, #2, #19, and #32.

Does anyone know what some good options would be for nicer neighborhoods within 20 minutes from the Lincoln hospital area using public transportation?

Old 02-19-2010, 06:55 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Best bet would probably be the Pelham Parkway/Morris Park area.There are 2 or 3 stops in that area on the 2 and 5 trains which would take you to 149th st in about 10 or 15 mins.
It's a pretty good,safe area.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:10 PM

Thank you. I will start looking in those areas.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:52 PM

What about Fordham and Jerome Area close 190th st?

Old 02-23-2010, 10:36 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djvh View Post
Sketchy.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:27 AM

412 posts, read 1,327,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djvh View Post
Jerome Ave in my opinion I would live because it just so dark and eerie and I lived in the Bronx most my life.

The area isn't all that, you would do better on the Concourse.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:00 AM

6 posts, read 21,854 times
does anybody know if the east tremont is a safe area?

Old 03-31-2010, 08:03 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,638,530 times
To answer your question Lisa, the East Tremont/Throggs Neck area is very beautiful and safe.

As for you DJVH, the Lincoln Hospital area I would agree isn't the safest nor the best. There's plenty of other areas that might be a little pricey and maybe to far away for you (for me I travel an hour everyday to and from work so 15-20 minutes isn't too far for me).

If you're looking for areas near the 2,4,5 trains which go to Lincoln Hospital I would put them down like this:

Nice areas on the 2 line: Allerton, Pelhamway Parkway, Bronx Park East (Even though Bronx Park East looks sketchy at first its really not a bad area). E. 180 street is not bad if you transfer to the 21 bus and take a short 5-8 minute ride to Morris Park/Little Italy area.

Nice areas on the 4: Bedford Park (Some people might be mixed on it, but its not a bad area to me. Its near Lehman College and Koreatown. Some areas around there can a little sketchy at certain times but overrall, its good/decent). Mosholu Parkway (it can get rowdy during the afternoon hours because of the High School kids but is a nice area). Woodlawn (really nice area and a nice Irish community).

Nice areas near the 5: Morris Park. Hehe, Morris Park leads into other areas like Little Italy, Pelham Parkway and Pelham Bay. However thats the only area on the 5 I can think of thats nice.

Other nice areas in the Bronx that you may want to consider but would probably be out the way are: Pelham Bay, Throggs Neck/East Tremont, Riverdale. On top of being out the way the rents can be high. Specificially in the Riverdale area. I know some people who live in the Throggs Neck/East Tremont and Pelham Bay area who managed to find some good apartments for one person and good rent but they were lucky as heck. My friends in Pelham Bay roomed together and my friend in East Tremont managed to get a good deal.

I hope you find something thats convinient and good for you though. If you happen to move around Lincoln Hospital I'll let you know that you will be OKAY as long as you mind your own business and don't converse with any nosey people and just give them the "Hi and bye" treatment. The South Bronx isn't what it used to be and some areas are improving but for the most part its still best to know your surroundings when you're living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City