Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2010, 01:15 PM

3 posts, read 11,258 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. So I'm moving to NJ (NYC suburbs) in a few weeks. I'm a 20-something guy, really big into indie rock, concerts, etc. Kinda emo-ish but not really. I'm unique, as you would find out if you get to know me. Anyway just wondering where some good places to see concerts or indie concerts in this area are? Would love to make some friends to go with too. I'm single too, haha.

But yeah, really looking for some ideas where I can meet some cool, open minded, non judgemental people and make some friends, and hear some good music. Any help is appreciated. Thanks (=
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 05:33 PM

34,168 posts, read 47,407,663 times
McCarren Park Pool

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-27-2010, 04:43 PM

756 posts, read 2,281,457 times
Hey KMS,

I have similar tastes and am moving to Manhattan this fall...

If you have iTunes, one awesome way to find out about upcoming shows in your area is a little plug-in called iConcertCal. You enter in your zip code and then it populates a calendar with artists from your iTunes library who have upcoming shows in your area. You'll see that NYC has great shows and great venus - you won't be disappointed.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:30 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,092,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
Hey KMS,

I have similar tastes and am moving to Manhattan this fall...

If you have iTunes, one awesome way to find out about upcoming shows in your area is a little plug-in called iConcertCal. You enter in your zip code and then it populates a calendar with artists from your iTunes library who have upcoming shows in your area. You'll see that NYC has great shows and great venus - you won't be disappointed.

Awesome bit of info, glad you mentioned it. This should save a lot of time.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:02 PM

756 posts, read 2,281,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
Awesome bit of info, glad you mentioned it. This should save a lot of time.
Yeah, I love it. It's great for when you're traveling and want to catch a show in a different town. If you have a healthy iTunes library, you'll find that in most big cities (especially NYC) there are one or two good shows going on almost every night.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:23 PM

137 posts, read 203,873 times
check out the pollstar website and search by city. once you find your favorite bands, you'll see where the bars/clubs are for you. although ny hipsters aren't really known for being non judgmental...

i digress.

a few places you may dig are: southpaw, mercury lounge, bowery ballroom, music hall of williamsburg, bell house, cake shop, knitting factory.

good luck!

Old 04-30-2010, 02:27 PM

118 posts, read 366,013 times
How pretentious are your tastes exactly? The less people know the band, the better?
You might have luck getting in with the in crowd and hitting some house parties.

However, people are fast jumping on the "I hate conforming nonconformists (i.e. unique people)" bandwagon, even though it's an hypocritical and ironic statement (which they love even more).

I know it may sound like this is a sarcastic post, but I am giving you real advice.
Find the people that are like you, and hang out with them. They are everywhere, but they are unique, so don't point out that they are everywhere, or else they won't accept you.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:20 AM

93 posts, read 308,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kms1789 View Post
Hi everyone. So I'm moving to NJ (NYC suburbs) in a few weeks. I'm a 20-something guy, really big into indie rock, concerts, etc. Kinda emo-ish but not really. I'm unique, as you would find out if you get to know me. Anyway just wondering where some good places to see concerts or indie concerts in this area are? Would love to make some friends to go with too. I'm single too, haha.

But yeah, really looking for some ideas where I can meet some cool, open minded, non judgemental people and make some friends, and hear some good music. Any help is appreciated. Thanks (=
I am 21 (not into the same music sorry), but I will honestly tell you, you have described 90% of the people my age. You will have no problem finding bands you like, or friends to go with. I am into metal, not exactly a mainstream choice, and I go to concerts all the time. The thing I love about this area, is that whatever you are into, musically, or whatever, you can find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City