Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 08:13 AM

93,414 posts, read 124,084,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by owego View Post
Obviously Binghamton isnt the poorest upstate ny city but im talking on a national level. Just out of curiousity when where you last in Binghamton cause visually it has changed, and please tell me the "steady" neighborhoods in Binghamton? The nice part of the west side is anything but steady, its just a couple blocks away from one of the worst neighborhoods in Bing and the good people are being flushed out, TONS of homes for sale on the west side with a much less desirable crowd going in. So please let me know about some of the "steady" neighborhoods.
What about the neighborhoods off of Seminary near the Susquehanna and just south of the Susquehanna or the outer city neighborhoods on the North and East Sides of town? I sometimes think there is a total disconnect between people that might live in an urban area and can see things can vary by the neighborhood and those that live in a small town or suburb and just go by what the news shows. From what I see and hear, the crime in Binghamton is more of a "don't start none and there will be none" type of thing, for the overwhelming part.

Again, Binghamton has always been a blue collar city with some grit. That doesn't mean that the whole city is unlivable though. Has it seen better days? Yes, but I still wouldn't say the city of Binghamton is simply "ghetto", as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 01:32 PM

54 posts, read 152,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about the neighborhoods off of Seminary near the Susquehanna and just south of the Susquehanna or the outer city neighborhoods on the North and East Sides of town? I sometimes think there is a total disconnect between people that might live in an urban area and can see things can vary by the neighborhood and those that live in a small town or suburb and just go by what the news shows. From what I see and hear, the crime in Binghamton is more of a "don't start none and there will be none" type of thing, for the overwhelming part.

Again, Binghamton has always been a blue collar city with some grit. That doesn't mean that the whole city is unlivable though. Has it seen better days? Yes, but I still wouldn't say the city of Binghamton is simply "ghetto", as a whole.
Yeah, Sure Seminary Ave bye Riverside Dr is nice but the not even a quarter mile up the street is Edwards St which if you drive by you can see the bloods gang members and its pretty obvious they are bloods. The north and east side have gone to hell. I lived in the city of Binghamton for many years on Grand Blvd I moved because of the change in the neighborhood. Im just saying especially to an outsider if you drove around Bing, Endicott and Johnson City they look like ghettos. And I ask again when was the last time you came to Binghamton? Or do you just go by what the news says?

Old 11-13-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Yeah, Sure Seminary Ave bye Riverside Dr is nice but the not even a quarter mile up the street is Edwards St which if you drive by you can see the bloods gang members and its pretty obvious they are bloods. The north and east side have gone to hell. I lived in the city of Binghamton for many years on Grand Blvd I moved because of the change in the neighborhood. Im just saying especially to an outsider if you drove around Bing, Endicott and Johnson City they look like ghettos. And I ask again when was the last time you came to Binghamton? Or do you just go by what the news says?
I was there this summer. Again, Binghamton and especially Endicott or Johnson City does not strike fear in me personally. Sorry, but it's not a city that will be on anyone's most crime ridden or dangerous city list. While some areas have seen better days, I'm sure,but to say that the city in general is "ghetto" is funny. Maybe the change in demographics is what you want to say is the difference or why you feel that way, but even the poster that lives there doesn't seem to think the whole city is bad. I'm sure there are gangs and there has always been a criminal/gang like element in Binghamton. We're talking about a city with a history in terms of the Mob and the KKK that goes back a long time. Just like any city, it has it's good and bad areas. JC and Endicott have like 1 area to avoid each. Again, all are blue collar in character and have had a grittiness to the for years.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
I was there this summer. Again, Binghamton and especially Endicott or Johnson City does not strike fear in me personally. Sorry, but it's not a city that will be on anyone's most crime ridden or dangerous city list. While some areas have seen better days, I'm sure,but to say that the city in general is "ghetto" is funny. Maybe the change in demographics is what you want to say is the difference or why you feel that way, but even the poster that lives there doesn't seem to think the whole city is bad. I'm sure there are gangs and there has always been a criminal/gang like element in Binghamton. We're talking about a city with a history in terms of the Mob and the KKK that goes back a long time. Just like any city, it has it's good and bad areas. JC and Endicott have like 1 area to avoid each. Again, all are blue collar in character and have had a grittiness to the for years.
Who said the whole city was crime ridden? In each post I said VISUALLY to an outsider driving through they would LOOK ghetto, none of the triple cities would ever strike fear in me Im just saying drive down North St in Endicott or any of Endicott from Jackson Ave to Liberty Ave with Main and North being the border and they look poor. Drive around anyywhere in JC soouth of Main, drive around the first ward, center city, the west side north of main, the southside, the east side in Binghamton they look poor and they are all poor neighborhoods you really cant dispute that since poor america is any neighborhood with poverty over 20% these are all way over 20%. Has crime increased? Yes. Did I move because I didnt like where the crime was headed? Yes. Do I consider The Triple Cities crime ridden and am I scared to go there? Absolutley not.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Who said the whole city was crime ridden? In each post I said VISUALLY to an outsider driving through they would LOOK ghetto, none of the triple cities would ever strike fear in me Im just saying drive down North St in Endicott or any of Endicott from Jackson Ave to Liberty Ave with Main and North being the border and they look poor. Drive around anyywhere in JC soouth of Main, drive around the first ward, center city, the west side north of main, the southside, the east side in Binghamton they look poor and they are all poor neighborhoods you really cant dispute that since poor america is any neighborhood with poverty over 20% these are all way over 20%. Has crime increased? Yes. Did I move because I didnt like where the crime was headed? Yes. Do I consider The Triple Cities crime ridden and am I scared to go there? Absolutley not.
I'm actually not denying the poverty or that there are some rough looking neighborhoods in Binghamton or even the other 2 communities, but my point is that there needs to be some perspective, as there are other neighborhoods that are fine. To me, Binghamton looks like a blue collar city and the other 2 are as well, considering that they are/were "company" towns built around certain industries. Some neighborhoods are rough looking, but some are still nice in all 3 of those communities. Even you couldn't say that every part of Binghamton was ghetto and that is all I'm saying. A good example of this is when I was driving around Watertown with my wife and she asked if a certain part of the city was still in Watertown because she realized that the area was nice(around Washington Park). Just like Binghamton, it boomed at an earlier time and is an "older" city. I wouldn't call that city ghetto either, eventhough there are some rough looking neighborhoods there too.

By the way, if you want to see real poverty in the US, google Tchula MS, where 50% and the infrastructure there makes Binghamton look like Beverly Hills.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I'm actually not denying the poverty or that there are some rough looking neighborhoods in Binghamton or even the other 2 communities, but my point is that there needs to be some perspective, as there are other neighborhoods that are fine. To me, Binghamton looks like a blue collar city and the other 2 are as well, considering that they are/were "company" towns built around certain industries. Some neighborhoods are rough looking, but some are still nice in all 3 of those communities. Even you couldn't say that every part of Binghamton was ghetto and that is all I'm saying. A good example of this is when I was driving around Watertown with my wife and she asked if a certain part of the city was still in Watertown because she realized that the area was nice(around Washington Park). Just like Binghamton, it boomed at an earlier time and is an "older" city. I wouldn't call that city ghetto either, eventhough there are some rough looking neighborhoods there too.

By the way, if you want to see real poverty in the US, google Tchula MS, where 50% and the infrastructure there makes Binghamton look like Beverly Hills.
Exactly Tchula is about the size of one neighborhood and it is 54% below poverty, Binghamton's poorest neighborhood is 56.9% below poverty. And these poverty numbers for Binghamton are from 1999 by the way, so Im sure they have gone up

Old 11-14-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Exactly Tchula is about the size of one neighborhood and it is 54% below poverty, Binghamton's poorest neighborhood is 56.9% below poverty. And these poverty numbers for Binghamton are from 1999 by the way, so Im sure they have gone up
and the sad thing about that is that Binghamton is not alone, as Syracuse's Near West Side neighborhood is one of the poorest in the country. With that said, some of the most affluent areas in Onondaga County are in the city of Syracuse in Sedgwick, Strathmore and Meadowbrook, which include the historic Scottholm and the Bradford Heights development. So, I would think that Binghamton still has a similar range. As a person that has actually been to Tchula and Binghamton, I have a very hard time believing that the infrastructure in that part of Binghamton is on par with what I saw in Tchula. There is a YouTube video of that community and you wouldn't believe that it was in the US. As far as an urban neighborhood, I knew that things were serious when my dad and I went to a Churches Chicken in Detroit and it had a bulletproof partion at the register. Now that is "ghetto".

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-14-2010 at 01:47 PM..

Old 11-14-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
and the sad thing about that is that Binghamton is not alone, as Syracuse's Near West Side neighborhood is one of the poorest in the country. With that said, some of the most affluent areas in Onondaga County are in the city of Syracuse in Sedgwick, Strathmore and Meadowbrook, which include the historic Scottholm and the Bradford Heights development. So, I would think that Binghamton still has a similar range. As a person that has actually been to Tchula and Binghamton, I have a very hard time believing that the infrastructure in that part of Binghamton is on par with what I saw in Tchula. There is a YouTube video of that community and you wouldn't believe that it was in the US. As far as an urban neighborhood, I knew that things were serious when my dad and I went to a Churches Chicken in Detroit and it had a bulletproof partion at the register. Now that is "ghetto".
If were going by bulletproof go to Kennedys Fried Chicken in Binghamton or Crown Fried Chicken in Endicott.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
If were going by bulletproof go to Kennedys Fried Chicken in Binghamton or Crown Fried Chicken in Endicott.
Really? I believe both are similar to the Kennedy Fried Chicken spots you see in NYC. Maybe it is a protocol they follow. Where is Crown Fried Chicken in Endicott?

Do they have the bulletproof partition in the store or at the drive through? At the Church's Chicken, they had it so where you had to slide the food under a slot like you were at a ticket booth, no lie. I know some gas station have the partition on the outside, so the person has to get things while waiting outside, but I thought that was crazy. A gas station in DC was the other place where I saw the partition within the store and both times I was at these places during the day.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Really? I believe both are similar to the Kennedy Fried Chicken spots you see in NYC. Maybe it is a protocol they follow. Where is Crown Fried Chicken in Endicott?

Do they have the bulletproof partition in the store or at the drive through? At the Church's Chicken, they had it so where you had to slide the food under a slot like you were at a ticket booth, no lie. I know some gas station have the partition on the outside, so the person has to get things while waiting outside, but I thought that was crazy. A gas station in DC was the other place where I saw the partition within the store and both times I was at these places during the day.
They have it so the cashier is completly behind the glass and you slide the money through a little slot, Crown Fried Chicken is at 1200 North St, Endicott, NY. They have had quite a bit of trouble at Kennedys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York