Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 10:36 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,099,287 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the response. As retired Navy I always found dealing with "Army" facilities to be a royal pain..lol Base facilities are not a major factor i'll be looking at when the time comes. I am familiar with Hancock & Griffis though. BJ's is ok but we still prefer Costco....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 10:39 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,099,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It's an extra layer, but it depends on the costs and village. For instance, the village of Solvay has it's own power company. So, power is very cheap there. There are other villages around the state that are like that as well. New York Power Authority Municipal and Cooperative Customers Map

Also, villages might get very high police coverage or other services, but you have to pay for them. It's not like say PA, where the borough is a separate government entity.
OK, I appreciate the response. We are an incorporated county with one goverment and only one tax rate for residents. Virginia also has one power company and no one can beat their rates.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:12 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,760,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I have always wondered why do you have to pay more because you live in a village? Are there services you receive vice living in a town? Or is it jsut paying for an extra layer of goverment that may not be needed?
Living in the village means paying taxes (ours around around $600/year) for village amenities. A PAID fire station and police force, separate from the town's, maintenance and upgrades to village parks, included trash/recycling/debris pickup, special plows that clear our sidewalks of snow so we don't have to shovel them oursevles (HUGE perk! lol), the [very large and updated] library, sports' fields, free or heavily discounted entry to many village programs and first pick of them, senior center, community center and gym/equipment, etc. It's well worth the money, or we wouldn't live here... we'd have chosen a home just outside the village line but still within walking distance.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:54 AM

93,402 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Living in the village means paying taxes (ours around around $600/year) for village amenities. A PAID fire station and police force, separate from the town's, maintenance and upgrades to village parks, included trash/recycling/debris pickup, special plows that clear our sidewalks of snow so we don't have to shovel them oursevles (HUGE perk! lol), the [very large and updated] library, sports' fields, free or heavily discounted entry to many village programs and first pick of them, senior center, community center and gym/equipment, etc. It's well worth the money, or we wouldn't live here... we'd have chosen a home just outside the village line but still within walking distance.
Yeah, I think people forget about the other things that the extra taxes pay for. I should have mentioned that it isn't JUST an extra layer of government, as your post shows that there are many other perks that comes along with the extra costs in a village. Some other costs can be offset to some degree due to the walkable nature of villages as well. So, you can walk to the grocery store, post office, church, restaurants and so on, instead of driving everywhere. Villages like Liverpool, Fayetteville, Manlius, Baldwinsville and others also have entertainment during the summer that people can walk to as well. So, a village can offer quite a bit in a more dense and safe environment.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:51 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,661,494 times
I'm from NY state originally. I left to go to Florida, then Arizona. I can only say the grass is definitely not greener;brown or yellow to be specific. Sometimes you have to leave to see how good you have it. You know the old adage, "Don't know what you got till it's gone."

NY is not perfect, but much better in many ways than both of the aforementioned states. Taxes are only one thing when considering where to move. And, instead of higher taxes, you will have a monthly water bill, HOA fees, and, most-likely, higher car/home insurance fees, food bills (highest in Arizona of all 3 states). And, don't forget the landscaping guys--your trees/bushes grow non-stop 9 months year and if you don't cut them immaculately the HOA will fine you. We pay 600-700/year for minimal landscaping. Medical, dental and veternarian care--all high here, higher, I imagine, than upstate.

These other states don't value education or healthcare either like NY. That impacts a lot and works its' way into other issues, too.

And, the envirnonment/landscaping isn't one ioda as pretty as NY state. You've seen 1 saguaro, you've seen them all. Ditto for cacti and every grain of sand there is at the beach.
You pay more taxes, but your quality of life is better in NYS, in general. Also, I could go on and on about the "people" in other states. Let's just say, once a NY'er always a NY'er. You won' t find more genuine people anywhere. And, smarter, too.

Needless to say, we're trying to relocate back to NY. And, the door here can't slam any faster on my butt than I want it to.

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 12-23-2010 at 01:20 PM..

Old 12-23-2010, 04:04 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,596,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
There are the poor, of course, but this area is a FAR cry from the wretched upstate notion you (and probably many other downstaters) have... the reputation rather than the reality. The pockets of poverty tend to stay within themsleves... poverty is an issue everywhere, not just upstate NY. (It IS unfortunate that those areas tend to be in direct view of all major highways... I can see how one would get that impression.)
Thing is I do have direct experience with the area; I attended college in Utica and lived off campus. Many streets looked as though they had been bombed decades ago and just never fixed. Sometimes I'd drive along, the road would turn to dirt, then pavement would resume 50 feet later. Collapsed houses with trees growing out of the rubble. Buildings with visible camps of homeless milling about. That sort of thing.

Also, I bought my first ever gun the very first day I moved into Utica, and was damn glad I did because it deterred some nutjob from kicking my door in not even six months later. I lived in a "good" area too! (I actually lived in nearby town called Yorkville and drove to class).

As for the overall region I frequently took weekend/day trips to other cities (Syracuse, Albany, Binghamton, etc.) and towns which I can't recall in the area and was struck by how run down everything was. Bleak is the only word I have to describe the area and its people. If you got into the sticks far enough to try some fishing maybe, you'd meet some Deliverance types.

Went into the aforementioned cities too, not just viewed them from the interstate either.

So my own personal view of upstate NY (at least that region) is based on experience and observation. I lived there from 2004-2006, so unless a miracle occurred in the interim, it's probably still the way it was.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:37 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,760,775 times
It's unfortunate for anyone to have such a defeatist view of the world... I hope the new year brings those people the contentment and satisfaction they need.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:19 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
NY is not perfect, but much better in many ways than both of the aforementioned states. Taxes are only one thing when considering where to move. And, instead of higher taxes, you will have a monthly water bill, HOA fees, and, most-likely, higher car/home insurance fees, food bills (highest in Arizona of all 3 states). And, don't forget the landscaping guys--your trees/bushes grow non-stop 9 months year and if you don't cut them immaculately the HOA will fine you.
You still have to maintain your lawn in the summer in NY, and then there's snow removal costs in the winter.

As for food, I haven't found milk anywhere cheaper than upstate NY. Produce is probably a bit more in FL, but that's about it.

I save at least 30 cents or more per gallon in FL compared to NY, and there is no annual inspection fee, just a registration fee.

Quote:
These other states don't value education or healthcare either like NY. That impacts a lot and works its' way into other issues, too.
I've never been a big believer in more $ = better schools. The only thing it does is increase your property taxes and your income taxes to pay for all that spending.

In upstate, at least where I worked, many of the people were sending their kids to private schools anyways. Every state has its good schools. FL has its share of magnet/AP/IB schools that will rival any other public schools around.

http://www.newsweek.com/feature/2010...ools/list.html

Quote:
And, the envirnonment/landscaping isn't one ioda as pretty as NY state. You've seen 1 saguaro, you've seen them all. Ditto for cacti and every grain of sand there is at the beach.
I'll give you that one. Upstate certainly did have the 4 seasons, and there was something nice about that. Nonetheless, you will see leaves change in the winter in FL, and as they say there, "you can't shovel sunshine"

I'd take hot summers over frigid, dark and gray winters, but that's a personal preference.

Quote:
You pay more taxes, but your quality of life is better in NYS, in general. Also, I could go on and on about the "people" in other states. Let's just say, once a NY'er always a NY'er. You won' t find more genuine people anywhere. And, smarter, too.
Again, your personal opinion. It just amazed me at the end of the day how much of my paycheck was going to the state/county/city at the end of the day. NY had higher sales taxes than FL, higher property taxes than FL and an income tax of 6%+. I just didn't see that value in what was coming out of my paycheck.

Quote:
Needless to say, we're trying to relocate back to NY. And, the door here can't slam any faster on my butt than I want it to.
Good. NY could use you, considering the recent census results.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
You still have to maintain your lawn in the summer in NY, and then there's snow removal costs in the winter.

As for food, I haven't found milk anywhere cheaper than upstate NY. Produce is probably a bit more in FL, but that's about it.

I save at least 30 cents or more per gallon in FL compared to NY, and there is no annual inspection fee, just a registration fee.

I've never been a big believer in more $ = better schools. The only thing it does is increase your property taxes and your income taxes to pay for all that spending.

In upstate, at least where I worked, many of the people were sending their kids to private schools anyways. Every state has its good schools. FL has its share of magnet/AP/IB schools that will rival any other public schools around.

America's Best High Schools: The List - Newsweek

I'll give you that one. Upstate certainly did have the 4 seasons, and there was something nice about that. Nonetheless, you will see leaves change in the winter in FL, and as they say there, "you can't shovel sunshine"

I'd take hot summers over frigid, dark and gray winters, but that's a personal preference.

Again, your personal opinion. It just amazed me at the end of the day how much of my paycheck was going to the state/county/city at the end of the day. NY had higher sales taxes than FL, higher property taxes than FL and an income tax of 6%+. I just didn't see that value in what was coming out of my paycheck.

Good. NY could use you, considering the recent census results.
I don't think she said anything about more money for schools equals a better education. She said that people value it more. There is a difference.

Also, sending many kids to private schools doesn't mean that the public schools are bad. People can send their children to private schools for many reasons such as religious reasons, a percieved view of a better education, smaller class size and so on. There many good schools in NY that aren't on that list as well.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Thing is I do have direct experience with the area; I attended college in Utica and lived off campus. Many streets looked as though they had been bombed decades ago and just never fixed. Sometimes I'd drive along, the road would turn to dirt, then pavement would resume 50 feet later. Collapsed houses with trees growing out of the rubble. Buildings with visible camps of homeless milling about. That sort of thing.

Also, I bought my first ever gun the very first day I moved into Utica, and was damn glad I did because it deterred some nutjob from kicking my door in not even six months later. I lived in a "good" area too! (I actually lived in nearby town called Yorkville and drove to class).

As for the overall region I frequently took weekend/day trips to other cities (Syracuse, Albany, Binghamton, etc.) and towns which I can't recall in the area and was struck by how run down everything was. Bleak is the only word I have to describe the area and its people. If you got into the sticks far enough to try some fishing maybe, you'd meet some Deliverance types.

Went into the aforementioned cities too, not just viewed them from the interstate either.

So my own personal view of upstate NY (at least that region) is based on experience and observation. I lived there from 2004-2006, so unless a miracle occurred in the interim, it's probably still the way it was.
I smell some exaggeration, as there are plenty of neighborhoods even in Utica that are still fine(South Utica, around Proctor High, North Utica, etc.). Yorkville is a blue collar suburb next to Utica's Westside and I wouldn't say that your experience is the rule there, as I know people that still live there that can vouch for that.

While there are some run down areas in those cities, all have very nice areas too(Imagine that in a city). Keep in mind that these cities are "older" and many might view the grittiness or older look of the neighborhoods as run down. So, it can be a matter of perception if one is coming from some suburb of NYC.

Yes, there are some very rural areas, but again, there are plenty of very charming and nice small towns in Upstate NY that rival those you see in New England or other parts of the country. Even the rural areas vary in character as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York