Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 11:47 PM

60 posts, read 188,386 times

Advertisements

Do you think binghamton is ghetto if so what streets ??
And what do you think of the first ward ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 01:49 PM

93,217 posts, read 123,819,554 times
I don't think the whole city is ghetto. It varies depending upon where you are. I know the 1st Ward has a "rep" and some things go down there, but I wouldn't say that the whole city is "ghetto". I don't see it as a city with a bunch of random crime and it if you mind your business, you generally should be fine.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:07 PM

200 posts, read 604,620 times
Define "ghetto". Are there run down areas in Binghamton? Yeah, sure, I probably wouldn't want to live in the aforementioned first ward. Have I ever feared for my safety for even a second? No.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:21 PM

60 posts, read 188,386 times
i see ghetto as rundown dirty and crime ridden
and i feel the first ward is an improvement from my old neighborhood Center City that is the ghetto hookers and all and CK you are soooooo right if you mind your buisness and be polite you will most likely never have a problem
i asked because i hav heard my family from other areas say how ghetto it was here and i wondered if they were exagerating or i was just used to it ?????

Old 11-08-2010, 06:43 AM

I think people exaggerate all of the time when comes to things like this, more so than not. I think the many ways we can find out about things in media outlets. It's not like these things are new, but some of it has to do with the higher availability of guns versus other weapons that were used back in the day(knives, razor blades, bats, chains, etc.). There have always been neighborhoods with a reputation and for Binghamton, the neighborhoods mentioned on this topic have generally been those neighborhoods. There are reasons for that ranging from race, poverty, real/perceieved crime, access and so on.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:02 PM

54 posts, read 152,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingoricanwhite View Post
Do you think binghamton is ghetto if so what streets ??
And what do you think of the first ward ??
From an outsiders perspective Binghamton would definatly seem like a ghetto because it has so many poor neighborhoods, 23.7% below the poverty level is very high and Bingo has 6 neighborhoods over 45% below poverty, which easily rival the poverty numbers of any big notoriously poor big city.The poverty is very high

Old 11-11-2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owego View Post
From an outsiders perspective Binghamton would definatly seem like a ghetto because it has so many poor neighborhoods, 23.7% below the poverty level is very high and Bingo has 6 neighborhoods over 45% below poverty, which easily rival the poverty numbers of any big notoriously poor big city.The poverty is very high
Actually, that is still lower than many bigger cities and many of those people are working poor. I still wouldn't call Binghamton as a whole "ghetto". You can find such neighborhoods, if not worse even in thriving cities.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, that is still lower than many bigger cities and many of those people are working poor. I still wouldn't call Binghamton as a whole "ghetto". You can find such neighborhoods, if not worse even in thriving cities.
What are the many big cities with poverty over 24%?

On city-datas list of cities with highest poverty rate with a pop. over 50,000 Binghamton would be number 35, thats for small medium and large cities, I was just comparing to large please tell me how 24% is lower than many bigger cities.

Last edited by owego; 11-12-2010 at 07:13 PM..

Old 11-13-2010, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owego View Post
What are the many big cities with poverty over 24%?

On city-datas list of cities with highest poverty rate with a pop. over 50,000 Binghamton would be number 35, thats for small medium and large cities, I was just comparing to large please tell me how 24% is lower than many bigger cities.
Actually, just in Upstate NY, Buffalo and Syracuse have higher percentages, but I wouldn't generally call those cities "ghetto". Cities have variation in terms of economic situations of neighborhoods. That isn't new for any city and Binghamton can range from the First Ward to the very nice West Side neighborhoods. Even in cities generally thought of in a poor light, they have some neighborhoods that are at least decent and steady.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, just in Upstate NY, Buffalo and Syracuse have higher percentages, but I wouldn't generally call those cities "ghetto". Cities have variation in terms of economic situations of neighborhoods. That isn't new for any city and Binghamton can range from the First Ward to the very nice West Side neighborhoods. Even in cities generally thought of in a poor light, they have some neighborhoods that are at least decent and steady.
Obviously Binghamton isnt the poorest upstate ny city but im talking on a national level. Just out of curiousity when where you last in Binghamton cause visually it has changed, and please tell me the "steady" neighborhoods in Binghamton? The nice part of the west side is anything but steady, its just a couple blocks away from one of the worst neighborhoods in Bing and the good people are being flushed out, TONS of homes for sale on the west side with a much less desirable crowd going in. So please let me know about some of the "steady" neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York