Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 04:00 PM

93,348 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by needalife View Post
I'm not sure where you got the growth info from, but the truth is the current population is 45,020 and it was 53,008 in 1990... that's a huge decrease. And I'm not sure why you'd want to relocate to Binghamton. As other said, Ithaca all the way. The city is far nicer than Binghamton, has far more to do, and a far better economy.
I was talking in terms of jobs. While it might not be like it was a few decades ago, there have been some improvements in the job market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 05:23 PM

2 posts, read 6,186 times
Default Moving to Binghamton

Well I appreciate your comments and I am familiar with both Scranton and Binghamton and further there are 4 of us moving up to Binghamton to work on the natural gas leases. We found a beautiful home to rent and indeed we were surprised with the pricing. The town looks dank in the winter but the summer looks idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
That would be me!

Binghamton Photo Tour

I live an hour south of Binghamton so I'm probably not the best resource to contact about day-to-day living in that city. Members Hartwick, Tioga, and Lauri_25_NY are better resources to send a direct message to for specific inquiries.

As a first-time tourist to the town during my photo tour a few months ago I must say I was neither impressed nor turned off by the city. It kind of left me with a "neutral" taste in my mouth. It seemed to be faring more poorly than my native Scranton, PA but better than its sister city of Elmira, NY. The downtown was very clean and had a lot of great historic architecture, but it was a literal ghost-town with very few people on the streets other than one or two office workers grabbing lunch or the occasional vagrant. One would expect a college town like Binghamton, which is home to both Broome County Community College and Binghamton University, to have more of a younger intellecutal vibe to its downtown, much like Ithaca, NY or even what Scranton, PA is attempting to do, but that didn't appear to be the case.

Most vehicles on the roadways in the city were late-model ones, but they tended to be more middle-class in nature (Accords, Camrys, Foresters, Escapes, etc.) as opposed to the proliferation of luxury sedans and SUVs you see closer to NYC. People in Binghamton whine about the poor economy there, but if most people there can afford the payments on a low-$20k brand new vehicle, then the jobs must pay well enough to sustain a family (or they're all in debt up to their eyeballs).

The city's population has been declining for a number of decades, and that is evident with urban blight in some areas. I've heard about the supposed "high crime" in Binghamton, but I didn't see any vestiges of this while roaming through just about every city neighborhood.

If the city wants to make a comeback it should consider better integration of the college students into the downtown area. There is no current easy pedestrian access linking Binghamton University to the downtown area; that needs to be addressed. Downtown Binghamton also needs to encourage niche retailers, night clubs, and ethnic restaurants to locate in its downtown, much like Ithaca or Scranton. Efforts should also be made to transform downtown from a 9-5 city to a 24/7 city through the construction of lofts, studios, and condos geared towards young professionals, artists, retirees, college students, and empty-nesters.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:32 AM

961 posts, read 2,503,888 times
..HMMM...???..."Landresources"..I'll assume you'll be working the "gas thing" fom the industry side of things. Feel free to knock on our door. As for the area, many prospective relocators to the area just look at/ask about Bnghamton(the city itself). Natives of the area tend to view our positives in a much broader view. Generally speaking, this usually means from the entrance to NY on Rt 81 below Binghamton....out west thru Owego....on the south end, the Vestal/Pa. border, north thru Whitney Point. Maybe one of our real positives is the geographical location(and I'm not just talkin' gas formations)...3hr SE to NYC....1 + 1 1/2 N on rt 81 to 2 ski slopes...1 hr NW to Ithaca/Finger Lakes...2Hr NE to Cooperstown...due South on rt81 to everyhing along i's corridor...etc....

Old 01-06-2009, 07:50 AM

...And for what it's worth...here's a few other positives to the area...modestly priced housing, yet, no glut of unsold developments(ie...Nevada, Cali, FL, etc..), good primary schools(w/9 colleges within 1 1/2 hours from the center of the county), 4 season activities, lack of any serious crime(compared to similar sized areas), a population that understands the English language(I"ll say no more on that), good local hospitals/healthcare, an industrial sector that is...slowly...crawling it's way back to health. By the way, for anyone interested from elsewhere with a "tech" background, there are numerous openings at 3 local employers.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:29 PM

107 posts, read 507,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
...And for what it's worth...here's a few other positives to the area... a population that understands the English language(I"ll say no more on that),
And for what it's worth...here's another negative to the area... a subculture that isn't exactly subtle in their displeasure when people who are different (wink wink nudge nudge) move in across the street.

I lived in Bingo for 10 years, there are plenty of people who don't speak English. It was one of the few highlights of that town.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:40 AM

..I was measuring it against some cities I've been in down south and in the southwest(as per the English laguage comment).

Old 01-20-2009, 07:41 PM

2 posts, read 6,186 times
Talking We like it so far

So far so good and we are running the titles and getting it done. The leasing will come soon so some of the folks up here will make a little money and we urge everyone to support the drilling for natural gas up here for the supply is abundant and that means cheaper heating bills for the people in New York.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
..HMMM...???..."Landresources"..I'll assume you'll be working the "gas thing" fom the industry side of things. Feel free to knock on our door. As for the area, many prospective relocators to the area just look at/ask about Bnghamton(the city itself). Natives of the area tend to view our positives in a much broader view. Generally speaking, this usually means from the entrance to NY on Rt 81 below Binghamton....out west thru Owego....on the south end, the Vestal/Pa. border, north thru Whitney Point. Maybe one of our real positives is the geographical location(and I'm not just talkin' gas formations)...3hr SE to NYC....1 + 1 1/2 N on rt 81 to 2 ski slopes...1 hr NW to Ithaca/Finger Lakes...2Hr NE to Cooperstown...due South on rt81 to everyhing along i's corridor...etc....

Old 01-27-2009, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,023 times
Wink binghamton resident

I have lived in binghamton for 3 yrs from the city. In a short span binghamton is the place for people who like it quiet and hate change or excitement. that is me in a nutshell. i have my routines and rarely have it fall out of place. the biggest issues with binghamton is the drugs. this is a town for an ex-con or felon to start over and make a life i am neither. they have more pedophiiles then city workers.

i have a decent paying job which after removing my degrees and extensive skills from my resume I was hired left and right thanks to a prospective employer explaining I wont get hired if they think I am smart - they were right.

car insrance, rent, and shopping is cheap. people dont shop at certain stores because the prices are above the average living mainly boscovs primarily it is a town where two walmarts will survive. In the 3 yrs I have been here I ran a store which made good money but the area and scum landlords play a big part in it when floods, robberies, and fires multiple of each can happent to your own store in less then a yr.

if u have a home in another state and just want a place to temporarily get away sre come to binghamton ihop food is great and stay towards vestal or endicott. goodluck.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:17 PM

93,348 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb1364 View Post
I have lived in binghamton for 3 yrs from the city. In a short span binghamton is the place for people who like it quiet and hate change or excitement. that is me in a nutshell. i have my routines and rarely have it fall out of place. the biggest issues with binghamton is the drugs. this is a town for an ex-con or felon to start over and make a life i am neither. they have more pedophiiles then city workers.

i have a decent paying job which after removing my degrees and extensive skills from my resume I was hired left and right thanks to a prospective employer explaining I wont get hired if they think I am smart - they were right.

car insrance, rent, and shopping is cheap. people dont shop at certain stores because the prices are above the average living mainly boscovs primarily it is a town where two walmarts will survive. In the 3 yrs I have been here I ran a store which made good money but the area and scum landlords play a big part in it when floods, robberies, and fires multiple of each can happent to your own store in less then a yr.

if u have a home in another state and just want a place to temporarily get away sre come to binghamton ihop food is great and stay towards vestal or endicott. goodluck.
Huh? What was that?

Old 01-28-2009, 01:42 AM

Default Sure.......Whatever.......

Huh? What was that?............I had the same thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York